Oil Filter Flow Rate vs. Filtering Efficiency - Can You Have Both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered with oil filters if you can have superior flow rate - yet retain a high filtering efficiency (or vice versa) in an oil filter life for the "typical OCI" here on BITOG of approx. 5K miles ? Some say the newer synthetic oil filter media used by certain oil filter makers can do both quite well but I never fully understood the relationship . Mostly I read of how many microns this or that oil filter brand can filter - but next to nothing is mentioned regarding flow rate of oil filters ... Your thoughts on the matter ?

I run merv 10 filters in my home... But they're 5" thick. Any filter media will flow well if there is enough of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LvR
I think it still requires bypass filtration to make high efficiency. Full flow oil filters have to be able to full flow without bypass valves opening. So their efficiency has to be limited to do that. The other way to maintain flow without bypass valves opening is to change the filter frequently enough so it doesn't get clogged. It's still more particles in the oil unless bypass filtration is used , like a roll of toilet paper as an element. People who are obsessed with particles really need to go to a bypass setup.
GMVN

High Flow Rate AND High Efficiency = Fram Ultra
Fram Ultra had the worst flow in the comparison of five premium filters it was 56% worse than the WIX XP. What you said was an accolade not a measurement.

Well I read a quote from some OEM engine designer here that said flow is more important than filtration, because the particles that could damage an engine are caught by even the least effective filter.

Fram Ultra had the worst flow in the comparison of five premium filters it was 56% worse than the WIX XP. What you said was an accolade not a measurement.

Are you referring to the testing performed by Andrew from Ascent Filtration shown in the video posted below? If so it is abundantly clear that the Ultra (and Purolator) are marginally lower in flow rate compared to the Wix XP, stop at 5:04 to view the graph. Two things of note:

1. The first Wix XP that was tested, in the bubble point test, had a bypass valve that failed. It may be a one off and I will give Wix the benefit of the doubt, however, if it were an inherent design flaw common in said filter series it would increase the flow rate while negating the actual filtration.

2. It has been said for years on BITOG that the Fram Ultra and Purolator filters have similar flow rates and I am glad to see a real world test that confirms this. See thread linked below.

We put too much thought into oil filters on BITOG. We fall so hard for marketing claims and papers we read because I see lots of high mile vehicles that run quick lube oil and filters. The number 1 thing and actually the only important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail.

No one has yet said flow is determined by the oil pump, regardless of filter brand. Oil filters on cars don't determine oil flow unless they are clogged and the oil pump relief valve opens. They can have slightly different restriction when new as the graphs show, but the flow is the same as the oil pump produces, assuming no bypassing events.. It all goes down the drain when the filter is left on too long and it gets clogged.

You talking about the lab tests done by Ascent Filtration Testing? Actually, the AC-Delco and Royal Purple has the worse flow of the fiver filters tested ... so your statement is false about the Ultra had the "worse flow".

If you read the post linked below you'll see they are all good flowing filters. A "56% worse" flow in this case doesn't really mean anything because the PD pump doesn't care if it needs to put out 1 more PSI of output pressure at the same flow rate. Plus, what normal street cars flow 13.2 GPM of oil? Look at the numbers at 6~7 GPM where normal street cars typically operate at.

*Do higher pressure GDI engines of today create any additional demands of an oil filter which could impact flow rate (or lack of it ?)

The Ultra had a delta P of 16.9. PSI. That is what the graph shows. The bypass valve on the Ultra opens at 13 PSI. Therefore the Ultra would go into bypass with a delta P of 17 PSI. The oil pump on a Subaru operates at 12.7 GPM. Is that not a normal street car? At just over 10 GPM flow the delta P across the Ultra exceeds the PSI threshold of its bypass valve.

ZeeOSix you said so yourself on this forum two months ago:
The filter bypass valve doesn't care what the oil pressure is, it only cares what the delta-p is across the media.
If delta P PSI exceeds bypass valve PSI, that triggers the bypass valve to open. The graph showed delta P of the Ultra was not only much higher than the other filter tested, more importantly it was higher than the Ultra’s own bypass valve threshold. And that was for a brand new filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back