Oil fill hole pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to stash that oil around here ... never on clearance and 100% sold out again today at Walmart ...
I'm still thinking that's what AP was meant to do ...

Originally Posted by Donald
While that area of the valve train looks clean, the rest may be the same or maybe not. I would not base any decisions on what you see in that picture.

From my work experience I would say clean top clean bottom.

Tig:
Are you now running Mobil 1 EP rather than regular M1? The EP is rated for 15K... right?

Originally Posted by pbm
Tig:
Are you now running Mobil 1 EP rather than regular M1? The EP is rated for 15K... right?

Right. See below. However the first 210K was with 0-20 AFE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Donald
While that area of the valve train looks clean, the rest may be the same or maybe not. I would not base any decisions on what you see in that picture.

From my work experience I would say clean top clean bottom.

True. At 195K I changed out the VC gasket and the entire upper end was very clean.

Nice clean hole.

How does it leak down?
How tight is she?

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
How are the timing chains?

Very quite.

I'm holding on mine just because its extremely quite inside-out; when you stop at a traffic light, one barely notices that it is on

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Nice clean hole.

How does it leak down?
How tight is she?

UD

Not sure what you mean.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Nice clean hole.

How does it leak down?
How tight is she?

UD

Not sure what you mean.

You always talk about zero wear in your engines as well so he is wondering how tight everything still is. You know the tolerances you measured, specifically, when you measured your zero engine wear.
coffee2.gif

Tig, that part of your engine looks clean, I won't deny you that, but in reality, it doesn't prove anything other than you have changed your oil regularly, which is a good thing.

I have seen "Inside" many engines, including my own, that look just as good and those engines weren't using Mobil oil.

My current 74 Monte Carlo was inherited from my parents many years ago. (Grade 12 graduation present) When I removed the engine (350 SBC) to Hot Rod the car, the internals of the engine looked very clean as well, and I know for a fact my Father didn't use Mobil and he didn't use synthetic either.

The car was mostly a grocery getter/short tripper for my Mom as my Father worked away a lot and would be gone for months at a time sometimes. He changed the oil based on mileage, not time, and when we tore that engine down, it was as clean as can be in there. My buds were all impressed as well.

The point you're trying to make by touting Mobil oil is silly, imo, as any oil, syn or dino, if changed regularly from a good running engine will also look just as good.

Picture 016 (Large).jpg

Picture 018 (Large).jpg

Picture 019 (Large).jpg

Picture 005 (Large).jpg

HPIM1148.JPG

HPIM1152 (Medium).JPG

Irv
I never said 0 wear, I said no noticeable wear. My longest run with M1 was 354K in a Ford V6 and that engine didn't show any noticeable either.

Last edited:
Irv
I never said 0 wear, I said no noticeable wear. My longest run with M1 was 354K in a Ford V6 and that engine didn't show any noticeable wear either.

So, how are you concluding that you have no noticeable wear, Tig? Are you tearing your engines down and measuring everything against original tolerances?
If not, your comments and observations touting Mobil oil don't mean anything and are nothing more than a guess at best.

If you're tearing your engines down, then post up some pics and measurements with the results.
coffee2.gif

Irv … nice old cars … but no more tangible to the lubricant industry than what you dismiss …

The tear downs occur as part of Proof of Performance testing by the OEM.
For example FCA is clearly happy with Pennzoil and GM/Toyota are clearly happy with Mobil.

Many here are happy with both and you are not …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Irv … nice old cars … but no more tangible to the lubricant industry than what you dismiss …

The teardowns occur as part of Proof of Performance testing by the OEM.
For example FCA is clearly happy with Pennzoil and GM/Toyota are clearly happy with Mobil.

Many here are happy with both and you are not …

What I am not happy with is with people like Tig who constantly come on here and tout a product but have nothing to back those claims up.

I know I get vilified and labeled a hater for just having an opinion about Mobil oil but yet others are allowed to post ignorant claims all the time without any real proof to back those claims up and nothing is said about them. Frankly, I think it is a joke.

Just like this Mobil thread being moved to the photo section where there are far less eyes but the Pennzoil "picture Hole" thread remains in the Passenger Auto section. It's clear to me there is a bias on this site and many folks, like yourself, have issues when people don't talk all positive about Mobil oils.

You, of all people, should clearly see, as it's right in front of your face, that those doing the teardowns and measuring of engines are those who are affiliated with the company, not some unbiased independent lab or shop.
coffee2.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...pics-2004-honda-accord-k24a4#Post3882866

Last edited:
Let me simplify and not get in the ditch and make fun of people …

Do you think Tig could have gone 40 years of 10k oil changes with just any oil and living in the places he has ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Let me simplify and not get in the ditch and make fun of people …

Do you think Tig could have gone 40 years of 10k oil changes with just any oil and living in the places he has ?

Not that I think Tig1 is lying (because I don't), we both have been here for a while I know his story hasn't changed, but playing devils advocate here for a minute. Why is it ok to demand proof of tear down from one member but not another it is the Internet after all. It doesn't make sense and I think that is what Irv is getting at.

I get heat as well even though I've run my Santa Fe 300K miles (535,000km) on Amsoil and I have met members of this forum in person that have seen the Santa Fe but there are others here that don't believe it. Heck they don't even believe how clean the engine is under the valve cover when posted.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Not sure what you mean Stevie?

It's just that Tig1 hasn't torn down any of the engines to show the mileage he claims with the OCI's that he has done. We just accept that it's truth but other members are asked to provide torn down measurements. Why the double standard. (Again, I'm not saying Tig1 is lying because I don't believe that to be the case) I'm just using it as an example to illustrate the point I think Irv is getting at having had the same doubt cast on me being here the same time and having other BITOG members see my Santa Fe in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back