Southern boy in the Far North

Took a trip to Barrow AK, or Utqiagvik if you prefer. Its the northernmost point of North America. On the north side of it, a tiny peninsula juts out even further north into the Arctic Ocean. This is exactly where Polar Bear feeding excursions take place. I walked out into the sea, stepping over broken up ice and climbed up on a small iceberg to take a pic. Wife was terrified for me, LOL. The north pole is behind me.

Attachments

• IMG_8396.JPG
    IMG_8396.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8318.JPG
    IMG_8318.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 48
Took a trip to Barrow AK, or Utqiagvik if you prefer. Its the northernmost point of North America. On the north side of it, a tiny peninsula juts out even further north into the Arctic Ocean. This is exactly where Polar Bear feeding excursions take place. I walked out into the sea, stepping over broken up ice and climbed up on a small iceberg to take a pic. Wife was terrified for me, LOL. The north pole is behind me.
Pretty cool. All I ever was in Alaska was Skagway for railroad and Nome and Unalakleet.

Swimming at the beach closed for the season? Back in the 80's I flew to Denver with my father and picked up a rental Ford EXP. Drove up to Fairbanks and then took the Dalton highway up a few miles before Prudhoe where the road was closed to outsiders. That was a bummer in an otherwise nice ride.

Neato! Alaska is a place of incredible beauty. Went up to Denali about 10 years ago. Traveled through a bunch of small towns. Alaskans are an independent breed.

Back