Oil Change Intervals May Shorten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Given the cost of fuel over there I would have thought the EU would have some equivalent to CAFE
21.gif

Maybe their high fuel taxes and prices serve as a CAFE standard lol?

No lol at all. That is a good point mechanicx.

I'll tell you what though. I'd rather have a reasonable CAFE and low gas prices/taxes than no CAFE and high gas prices/taxes any day.

Given the cost of fuel over there I would have thought the EU would have some equivalent to CAFE
21.gif

Maybe their high fuel taxes and prices serve as a CAFE standard lol?

No lol at all. That is a good point mechanicx.

Thanks. I was really LOLing at the thought of making high fuel mileage as a necessity a virtue as Europeans sometimes do. IMO it's only a virtue maybe if gas is under $2 gal and someone willingly chooses to conserve and buy an economy car over say an SUV. If you have to be regulated, taxed, and price gouged into conserving then it's really just working on your selfishness really or it's just a necessity really lol.

I'd rather have a reasonable CAFE and low gas prices/taxes than no CAFE and high gas prices/taxes any day.

Except I am not sure that the presence of CAFE implies low gas prices.

I'd rather have a reasonable CAFE and low gas prices/taxes than no CAFE and high gas prices/taxes any day.

Except I am not sure that the presence of CAFE implies low gas prices.

True. That was my point really, Id rather have low prices and conserve through other measures. I can get water for next to nothing, but I try not to be wasteful of it. I just don't like the concept of taxing on goods to get everyone into doing what you want. If I choose to say conserve gas, and use a reasonable amount why should I pay more tax on each unit used is my opinion?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
Mike McCabe, regional business manager for engine oils at Lubrizol

LOL...Mike wants you to do 100 mile OCI's

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
Mike McCabe, regional business manager for engine oils at Lubrizol

LOL...Mike wants you to do 100 mile OCI's

He wants you to fill up a 20 gal oil tank on your car and circulate oil through it till the fill tank is 1/8 tank full lol.

True. That was my point really, Id rather have low prices and conserve through other measures. I can get water for next to nothing, but I try not to be wasteful of it. I just don't like the concept of taxing on goods to get everyone into doing what you want. If I choose to say conserve gas, and use a reasonable amount why should I pay more tax on each unit used is my opinion?
Think what happens if everybody starts to save gas. Gas is sold less = profits go down, so what they do. Gas price goes up, obviously.

I like taxes as much as poo, but it's effective way to make things happen. I don't say it's the best way by all means, but it works.

Originally Posted By: finnautti
mechanicx said:

Quote:
Think what happens if everybody starts to save gas. Gas is sold less = profits go down, so what they do. Gas price goes up, obviously.

What you are saying goes against the law of supply and demand. If gas sales drop they would need to lower prices to increase sales. When demand goes up and sales are high they can raise prices.

Quote:
I like taxes as much as poo, but it's effective way to make things happen. I don't say it's the best way by all means, but it works.

I agreed that it's effective, but it's a torched earth policy or using a sledge hammer on a finishing nail or whatever. And it's not one that I would be for.

CAFE has nothing to do with conservation or fuel economy. It's an automatic consumption increaser by forcing more units to be sold to allow "freedom of choice" for the gas guzzlers.

Consider it "alms for the poor". It's a tax ..just like the Euro's have on their gas guzzlers. You think we get cheap fuel ..but Europe doesn't run a global defensive umbrella over most of the strategic resources that keep our alleged "low prices at the pump" low. We pay it through a whole different door.

Btw- where is the European Naval Battle Group these days? Anyone?

I think the whole purpose of these schemes is to increase tax revenue.

Totally agree. I still prefer reasonable CAFE standards to taxing gas across the board to promote conservation. If gas is cheap you probably do need CAFE because the automakers will not build small cars because thre's little market for it. If they are going to tax anyone, tax the gas guzzler cars and not the gas that is used by all.

What you are saying goes against the law of supply and demand. If gas sales drop they would need to lower prices to increase sales. When demand goes up and sales are high they can raise prices.
In normal market economy, yes you are right. But that doesn't work with items you need what ever they cost. Let's say tap water or electricity, if it's price would double you would still use it near as much as now. Same goes for gas. It's even worse if you have been economical already so then you can't save anymore and you just have to pay.

In here it doesn't matter what gas price is the consumption is always near the same, we need our cars because distances are big and public transport work only in cities. Gas costs here 7,7 USD/gallon and it's "cheap" now.

Of course there is always some limit when another alternative way is cheaper, but until then prices may rise near to that.

In normal market economy, yes you are right. But that doesn't work with items you need what ever they cost. Let's say tap water or electricity, if it's price would double you would still use it near as much as now. Same goes for gas. It's even worse if you have been economical already so then you can't save anymore and you just have to pay.

In here it doesn't matter what gas price is the consumption is always near the same, we need our cars because distances are big and public transport work only in cities. Gas costs here 7,7 USD/gallon and it's "cheap" now.

Of course there is always some limit when another alternative way is cheaper, but until then prices may rise near to that.

I know what you are talking about, demand inelasticity I think it's called. I didn't mention that because I think it's irrelevant here because if it's inelastic they are going to charge the maximum price to get maximum profits whether demand is high or low. But what you are saying is the very reason that I'm opposed to gas taxes because most people are already conserving resonably. But by taxing gas consumers excessively you are simply making them have to go without.

I know what you are talking about, demand inelasticity I think it's called. I didn't mention that because I think it's irrelevant here because if it's inelastic they are going to charge the maximum price to get maximum profits whether demand is high or low. But what you are saying is the very reason that I'm opposed to gas taxes because most people are already conserving resonably. But by taxing gas consumers excessively you are simply making them have to go without.
True true.

I like taxes as much as poo, but it's effective way to make things happen.

Yeah, your standard of living goes down and you can't afford to drive a car very much because some bureaucrat has all of your money. That is pretty much what happens.

Articles appearing in the last few days in the DFW newspapers
mention rep's in the TX and Fed gov't wanting to raise gas taxes because we are not driving as much and using less gasoline (they don't mention they have been looting the gas tax for other budget purposes) A Ft worth suburb wants to raise water rates because we responded to their requests in conserving water during our last 3 yr. drought. We can't win

Originally Posted By: PT1

I like taxes as much as poo, but it's effective way to make things happen.

Yeah, your standard of living goes down and you can't afford to drive a car very much because some bureaucrat has all of your money. That is pretty much what happens.
Maybe i don't have money to drive my car, but i don't need money to be sick. Taxes go for example public health care, dental care, social security and many other things what you have to pay for your self in US, but here it is "free" i.e. paid in taxes. Ain't bureaucrats a global phenomenon.
wink.gif

I think we are WAY off topic here, so lets get back to track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back