oil change at the dealership

rcs

Hi guys/gals. I got my oil changed at the Honda dealership yesterday. I forgot to tell them before they took my car back for service
that I only wanted full synthetic oil. Half way through I went when I remembered and said to my service guy and mentioned it to him. He said "we only have full synthetic that is what we have in the drums, we don't have semi synthetic, full synthetic costs more". I said,...I thought the full synthetic only came in the quart containers, he said yes it does but it costs more" Hmmmm What is odd about his statement is they have a coupon for a semi synthetic oil change.

Do you folks think I was duped? How would I be able to find out if they really gave me full synthetic oil? Thanks for your help!

Why would synthetic not be sold in drums too? It is....

0W20 only comes in full-synthetic or at least I've never seen semi-synthetic 0W20.

Relax, you're misinformed, not being duped.
Thanks so much for your reply and helping me to understand. They did mention that to me that it comes in drums also. I guess what threw me off was that the coupon for an oil change (which I did not use) was for a semi-synthetic oil change,...would they have 2 different ones at the dealership? Being a women we tend to get duped more often :(. I just want to make sure I always have the best for my Pilot.

Ford has it but that's just talking about oil and not the OPs issue
s-l400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems my BMW and Lexus use manufacturer branded motor oil, and the Corvette calls for one variety of Mobil One. I always check the parts numbers on my receipt to see what they claim to have put in.

And everything seems to cost around $11 a quart. The days of $2 a quart motor oil are long gone.

Honda used to sell this but I believe it has been discontinued although still available.

View attachment 153015
Thanks for that info. The part number is 08798-9029B oil OW20 thast is on my reciept. I can't find this on the internet with the "B".
It is only listed for $5.16 for 5, I think it is the cheap stuff. The oil change with a tire rotation was $99! I don't mind paying it IF it is the good stuff, but since I mentioned it to him "after" the car was already in the service bay, I am not sure now. I am going to call the parts department and ask them. The mechanic did tell me they use Mobile 1

I don't know which is more galling, a dopey sounding service writer repeating the phrase, "...it costs more", or the "1.4X Better Sludge Protection" claim on that Castrol bottle.
Love that reply!

Thanks for that info. The part number is 08798-9029B oil OW20 thast is on my reciept. I can't find this on the internet with the "B".
It is only listed for $5.16 for 5, I think it is the cheap stuff. The oil change with a tire rotation was $99! I don't mind paying it IF it is the good stuff, but since I mentioned it to him "after" the car was already in the service bay, I am not sure now. I am going to call the parts department and ask them. The mechanic did tell me they use Mobile 1
Seems this mystery may come down to the "B" as they seem to reuse the same part numbers for different oil types. I'm not sure of the difference between the first and last listed oils both with P/N 08798-9029.

Image 4-28-23 at 9.40 AM.jpeg

Ok guys...well I just called the parts department and yes it is Full Synthetic,...the "B" is bulk for their tanks that they get
it in for the whole service department. Thanks so much guys for ALL of your help. You really make this gal feel welcome for asking
simple questions, and not being irritated by me. Enjoy your day!😊

I once got my oil changed at the Honda dealer for my son's 2012 Honda Accord EX-L.
It was speced for 0W-20, but after I talked with the service tech, he said they are using 5W-20 conventional oil from a drum
from Gulf oil company for all oil changes because it's the cheapest oil they can find (to increase the dealership profits on the usually low profit oil changes). He said 5W-20 and 0W-20 are interchangeable so it doesn't mater.

They also didn't let an ASE Mechanic do the oil change. They routed it to their Express service,
which is a 2 bay small building attached to the left side of the dealership just for fluid changes.
They had a young guy doing the oil changes, looked about 19 years old, and he had trouble understanding English.

After the oil change was over, I checked the fluid level, it was 1 quart low. I am unsure if that was an intentional cost cutting move to save dealership oil costs, or if it was accidental.

I took my vehicle to a Honda dealer expecting the best oil change you can get, and I got the worst oil change (worse than most quick lube places). I won't ever get an oil change at a dealer ever again. I've lost trust in dealerships. Their main reason to exist is to be an infinite cash cow for the dealership owner, by price gauging / cutting corners on every aspect of the dealership's operations.

Last edited:
The first oil change on my new Titan was from the dealer . A freebie . The manual specs 0W-20 synthetic . When the girl handed me my keys I asked her about the oil they used . She looked at the ticket and said " They used 10W-30 conventional " . Oh hell no . That's not gonna fly . They took it back and changed it again . This time I watched them through the big window . Since that day I used a different dealer until the warranty expired and I started using a private shop . Assume nothing . You gotta ask .

The first oil change on my new Titan was from the dealer . A freebie . The manual specs 0W-20 synthetic . When the girl handed me my keys I asked her about the oil they used . She looked at the ticket and said " They used 10W-30 conventional " . Oh hell no . That's not gonna fly . They took it back and changed it again . This time I watched them through the big window . Since that day I used a different dealer until the warranty expired and I started using a private shop . Assume nothing . You gotta ask .
I bet the biggest purchasers of conventional oil on the oil market are the new car dealership service departments.

Ok guys...well I just called the parts department and yes it is Full Synthetic,...the "B" is bulk for their tanks that they get
it in for the whole service department. Thanks so much guys for ALL of your help. You really make this gal feel welcome for asking
Dealerships will get a small price break if they order oil from the OE’s oil program in bulk. It’s still shipped by the local petroleum wholesaler. Ford, Mopar and GM have such a program, perhaps Toyota and Honda too.

Else, if rhe dealer is associated with a chain(Hendrick, AutoNation, Sonic, etc), they’ll pour a branded oil per marketing deal. Hendrick does Quaker State or Valvoline(whoever is sponsoring Hendrick Motorsports), Sonic does Pennzoil I think.

"you really make this gal feel welcome for asking
simple questions, and not being irritated by me."

You just got lucky is all. Lol.
Just kidding. Glad you received confirmation.

Back