Oil Catch Cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ARB1977
I believe if their necessary the factory would install them.

They do but they are nothing like the cheap useless crap they pass off as a catch can. You don't get this for a few bucks from Amazon or fleabay.

[Linked Image]

That things pretty slick and a pretty penny i bet.. what's that off of?

Originally Posted by Dave9
It is pretty clearly established that crankcase oil vapors cause a large % of the valve deposits and that a decent catch can catches a significant % of those vapors.

Documentation???

Originally Posted by pitzel
If people would just stick to proper OCI's (ie: not overly frequently where theres excess exposure to virgin motor oil) and avoid situations in which lubricant fraud could easily be committed against them through substitution of improper oils, most of the valve deposit problems would not occur. In fact the OEMs have had a terrible time fighting the issues because they can't really replicate such in their own test engines that are properly maintained.

Ironically the valve problems seem to be more prevalent amongst the 'enthusiasts', especially those who think they're doing their car a favour by changing oil every 3-5k, or whatever.

My wife's car, at 235k with Valvoline Maxlife every 5k. And a fresh PCV valve every 30k. Hers doesn't oil up the intake too bad, I've pulled it off a few times. But the later, direct injection versions of this engine put a lot of oil in the intake and coke the valves up so bad they develop a soft misfire. So a 2008 3.3 Lambda, no need for one. But a 2015 DI 3.5 Lambda? Absolutely. Kia left some engineering on the whiteboard on that one.

0480BCAF-B345-497E-A429-BA3E9FD156EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ARB1977
I believe if their necessary the factory would install them.

They do but they are nothing like the cheap useless crap they pass off as a catch can. You don't get this for a few bucks from Amazon or fleabay.

[Linked Image]

That things pretty slick and a pretty penny i bet.. what's that off of?

New VW/Audi. Many Euro engines have used scavenging type systems which sends the collected fine oil mist back into the pan for many years.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by jbutch
I've been runing a catch can on my 2018 Silverado since the second oil change...40,000 miles later and I haven't experienced any negative things with it at all. It does what it's supposed to do - catch oil - and it catches quite a bit. I empty it every 1,000 miles...I'd say ver the course of a 5,000 mile oil change I "catch" probably a half a quart of oil...maybe more in the winter when the moisture seems to carry the oil through the PCV system easier? Maybe 3/4 a quart in the winter months.

I'll probably pull my intake off at around 60,000-70,000 miles, take a look around and do a manual cleaning of the valves. At that point I'll decide if it was worth havi one. If the valves look like garbage? I'll get rid of the can.

That is a lot of oil!

Is it possible that your PCV valve has gone bad?

Does your oil level go down?

Yes, my engine oil level drops between intervals, I generally use around 3/4's of a quart between changes. I've seen some of these trucks use a lot more.

As for the PCV going bad, it's pretty much been this way since new and it doesn't use a valve, it's a fixed orifice type thing, I believe.

Funny I have significantly higher mileage than your truck and have none of those issues and no catch can. If a can was worth anything manufacturers would have put it on there and saved tens of millions of dollars in new development costs and tens of millions more in warranty repairs. Funny how a few guys with a $5 plastic can in their driveway can stop intake valve carbon deposit and billion dollar manufacturers and billion dollar oil companies can't prevent with R&D budgets we could never dream of making in 5 lifetimes and hundreds of highly qualified and bright chemists and engineers. Yet Po dunk Billy and Bucktoothed Jim have the solution with a $5 can.

Why would I have more mileage than you and less issues? We're talking about two different trucks, try to keep up. Your old truck, without direct injection is irrelevant to the conversation. And tell us a again why manufacturers would put catch cans on their vehicles...ask their customers to open their hoods every few weeks and drain a can...and spend additional millions on these devices. And tell us again about the billion dollar companies and never dreamt about before research and development team's spending budgets, can't figure out with little five dollar cans. Lol. Yeah, that's exactly how it shakes down. Haha. GM spends billions on how to prevent carbon buildup issues, so they don't have to worry about it as soon as the warranty period is over. My lord! Were you hatched from an egg...yesterday?

Last edited:

Why would I have more mileage than you and less issues? We're talking about two different trucks, try to keep up. Your old truck, without direct injection is irrelevant to the conversation. And tell us a again why manufacturers would put catch cans on their vehicles...ask their customers to open their hoods every few weeks and drain a can...and spend additional millions on these devices. And tell us again about the billion dollar companies and never dreamt about before research and development team's spending budgets, can't figure out with little five dollar cans. Lol. Yeah, that's exactly how it shakes down. Haha. GM spends billions on how to prevent carbon buildup issues, so they don't have to worry about it as soon as the warranty period is over. My lord! Were you hatched from an egg...yesterday?

I'm having issues keeping up? I have a 2018 Silverado. Come on now.

Originally Posted by ted s
i cant pass emissions with one installed

Why can't you get it to pass? Where is the rule in the book that you cannot have an oil catch can?

California is strict with emission testing, with an oil catch can it is legal. Some techs don't know and fails them is wrong. No where in writing an oil catch can is prohibited. Unless the connections are wrong or defective.

I'm having issues keeping up? I have a 2018 Silverado. Come on now.

Oh thank god, dave. Now that we have a relevant topic, are you saying you have no oil usuage between oil changes and that there is little, to no oil going into your intake and coating your valves? Because if that's what you're saying? Winner winner chicken dinner!! You are the first I've seen. I work on these things, I see ten of these things a day. I have NEVER EVER seen one single one of these trucks come in with 5,000 miles or more, come in for an oil change and not be low on that dipstick. Heck, most don't have anything on that dipstick. Nothing. The people that go the whole 7,500 mile interval, usually have nothing on that dipstick when they bring it in. Several customers can't even make it through two months without having to come in and have me dump two quarts in it, just to get through enough where their low oil light goes off.

I mean, if you don't want to use a catch can, that's fine. I mean, I don't want to use one. I do use one, but I don't want to use it. It's a little bit of a pain, not much, but yeah I'd prefer not to have it. And I'm not saying it's saving the world here. It's just catching some oil and preventing it from going into my intake. Because believe me - these trucks do allow a good amount of oil into those intakes - is that terribly bad? GM doesn't think so...although they do have a technical service bulletin addressing the issue (cleaning the valves and driveability issues related to it). They won't fix it, they won't stop it...they'll add a cheap cleaner in there under heated pressure and push you along. But they're not not going to fix anything. But I am happy for you - you might be the only person on the planet that owns one of these trucks and doesn't use oil between changes. And you might be the only person on the planet that thinks GM cares one ounce about fixing something that would cost them money.

Last edited:
I think I will actually install it on my '19 Crosstrek. I will see how much it collects.

Most of me wants to believe that its not a real issue in engines in the last few years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c5z06
I've used catch cans in most of my vehicles. My 2002 Z06 with supercharger utilized one to help blowby. My '19 STI will be getting an IAG Street AOS, it's best to get a well engineered can vs some cheap knockoff. The only negative are cans that are not heated and living in cold climates, the IAG can is warmed by the coolant.

Can you give me more details on these cans in cold climates?? Why would a catch can need to be heated?? I've been considering one for my 94 ford e150 5.8l I have not looked at my setup yet so not even sure if I would need one. I just don't like any oil going into my intake on anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
I've been runing a catch can on my 2018 Silverado since the second oil change...40,000 miles later and I haven't experienced any negative things with it at all. It does what it's supposed to do - catch oil - and it catches quite a bit. I empty it every 1,000 miles...I'd say ver the course of a 5,000 mile oil change I "catch" probably a half a quart of oil...maybe more in the winter when the moisture seems to carry the oil through the PCV system easier? Maybe 3/4 a quart in the winter months.

I'll probably pull my intake off at around 60,000-70,000 miles, take a look around and do a manual cleaning of the valves. At that point I'll decide if it was worth havi one. If the valves look like garbage? I'll get rid of the can.

That is a lot of oil!

Is it possible that your PCV valve has gone bad?

Does your oil level go down?

Yes, my engine oil level drops between intervals, I generally use around 3/4's of a quart between changes. I've seen some of these trucks use a lot more.

As for the PCV going bad, it's pretty much been this way since new and it doesn't use a valve, it's a fixed orifice type thing, I believe.

Funny I have significantly higher mileage than your truck and have none of those issues and no catch can. If a can was worth anything manufacturers would have put it on there and saved tens of millions of dollars in new development costs and tens of millions more in warranty repairs. Funny how a few guys with a $5 plastic can in their driveway can stop intake valve carbon deposit and billion dollar manufacturers and billion dollar oil companies can't prevent with R&D budgets we could never dream of making in 5 lifetimes and hundreds of highly qualified and bright chemists and engineers. Yet Po dunk Billy and Bucktoothed Jim have the solution with a $5 can.

You lost me with the $5 can in the driveway part??

Last edited:
If people would just stick to proper OCI's (ie: not overly frequently where theres excess exposure to virgin motor oil) and avoid situations in which lubricant fraud could easily be committed against them through substitution of improper oils, most of the valve deposit problems would not occur. In fact the OEMs have had a terrible time fighting the issues because they can't really replicate such in their own test engines that are properly maintained.

Ironically the valve problems seem to be more prevalent amongst the 'enthusiasts', especially those who think they're doing their car a favour by changing oil every 3-5k, or whatever.

Excess exposure to virgin motor oil?? Is this a bad thing? I'm serious I've never heard anyone say this and pretty new to the forum. And then the (people think they are doing their car a favor changing the oil every 3/5000) is this a bad thing really?? I change mine 2 times a year in each car which is less than 3,000 usually. So is this a bad thing to do other than spending a few extra bucks?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by c5z06
I've used catch cans in most of my vehicles. My 2002 Z06 with supercharger utilized one to help blowby. My '19 STI will be getting an IAG Street AOS, it's best to get a well engineered can vs some cheap knockoff. The only negative are cans that are not heated and living in cold climates, the IAG can is warmed by the coolant.

Can you give me more details on these cans in cold climates?? Why would a catch can need to be heated?? I've been considering one for my 94 ford e150 5.8l I have not looked at my setup yet so not even sure if I would need one. I just don't like any oil going into my intake on anything.

Blowby that collects in the catch can and the breather hose does not only consist of oil vapors, but also of steam that condensates. If those water deposits in the breather hose of the catch can freeze up over night and block the breather hose, also the PVC valve is blocked with all the resulting consequences.

Last edited:
Even with the over amplification of the internet there is not a lot of L83 owners complaining about either oil consumption or intake valve deposits.

The Silverado/Sierra is GM's cash cow without this platform GM does not exist. If there was such an apocalyptic problem as you claim there would be a lot more than a TSB issued. Also if the problem could be solved by a $5 part of the factory of course every manufacturer would have installed one rather than redesign and reengineer their most produced engines costing tens of millions.

It's not a matter of the manufacturers "caring" it a matter making money and if they could solve the issue with an easy and inexpensive fix such as a catch can it would be done.

If I was going to install a catch can, it would be a professional system like the Mann Provent, and I would retrurn what it catches to the sump.

Originally Posted by Al
There have be threads on this in the past but not very extensive.

I have an 18Forester XT and '19 Crosstrek both with DI. I purchased a Catch Can the other day on amazon. After further thought I decided I would send it back.

My reasons are several: In my experience mods do nothing except decrease reliability, I don't think that there is proof that it will prevent sludge on the intake valves, and finally there is the warranty issue.

Of course I could install and then remove it if necessary. For not my plan is to follow the news/developments and at 50K decide whether to spend the $$$ getting the valves cleaned.

Any thoughts?
If I missed a thread on this area please give me a link and I will get this thread deleted.

Here is a Catch Can video by a Ford Tech. He goes into great detail why it's needed and how it can help the Eco-Boost (DI) engine in the long run. YMMV

Originally Posted by R1jake

Excess exposure to virgin motor oil?? Is this a bad thing? I'm serious I've never heard anyone say this and pretty new to the forum. And then the (people think they are doing their car a favor changing the oil every 3/5000) is this a bad thing really?? I change mine 2 times a year in each car which is less than 3,000 usually. So is this a bad thing to do other than spending a few extra bucks?

I wouldn't listen to that guy. He's been spouting this crazy nonsense for a while now. Nobody else believes it.

Even with the over amplification of the internet there is not a lot of L83 owners complaining about either oil consumption or intake valve deposits.

The Silverado/Sierra is GM's cash cow without this platform GM does not exist. If there was such an apocalyptic problem as you claim there would be a lot more than a TSB issued. Also if the problem could be solved by a $5 part of the factory of course every manufacturer would have installed one rather than redesign and reengineer their most produced engines costing tens of millions.

It's not a matter of the manufacturers "caring" it a matter making money and if they could solve the issue with an easy and inexpensive fix such as a catch can it would be done.

I put a catch can on both of my vehicles because why not....neither of them were $5. I paid $20 for one which I wasn't really happy with and more like $60 US for another used one from a member of the Hyundai forums (my girlfriend has a sonata) which I liked much better. It collects a lot of oil on my 350 Olds which only uses like a qt between 3k mile/6 month short trips.

I'm not putting one on the Hyundai (even though it needs it more than my old carbureted engines) until it's no longer under warranty for the engine (rod bearing recall). Chances are it will be getting a new engine before 10 years/120k miles which it's covered until.

I've used a catch-can on two different V8s. Both cans caught ~1 oz every 1000 miles. A bit more if the engine is pushed hard a lot. Every oz in the can was an oz not going into the intake manifold and past the intake valves. Therefore I'd rather use one than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back