OEM lug nut vs. aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I had those tin acorn capped ones on a minivan. Got a new solid set at Costco cheap,
I’m not sure if they still sell them or not.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Machinist handbook. Its just general info not this material and that material, no need to nitpick it. A machinist forum would be the right place if you want to get into the technicalities of it.
For guys who DIY on their cars 1.5 times the bolt diameter in a blind threaded hole or stud and 100% through the nut is a safe depth for most fasteners found in vehicles, its that simple.
3 threads on a 10 mm stud could be dangerous that the only reason I posted it, the lug nut is where the threads would pull.

This ^^^.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Every time anyone in my family gets a new or new to them car, one of the first things I do is inspect the lug nuts. If they're those junky shiny tin crimped over a lug nut to appear chrome, they get tossed out and replaced with McGuard. It's no fun needing to get a wheel off a car and have those cheesy factory nuts fold up inside the socket.

That "junky shiny tin" is actually stainless steel. While it can come off the steel nut, it will not "fold up inside the socket".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back