OEM Filter Good For 10k Miles?

My 2019 Toyota Camry XSE w/2.5L 4-cylinder requires 0W16 synthetic every 10k miles. I get that the oil may be good for that long but what about the oil filter?

I get that the oil may be good for that long but what about the oil filter?
In no way do I mean for this to sound rude, but do you really think Toyota (or any OEM for that matter) would recommend a 10k mile OCI and not use a filter that matches the intended oil longevity? Would you have questioned that a decade ago when the OCI was 5k miles, presuming the filter only good for 3k? Or way back in the day, if an OCI was the typical 3k miles, the filter was only good for 1k miles?????

For that matter, how is it that you think the oil "may be good" for 10k miles, as if it's questionable and not assured?

Let's flip this around ...
Do you have any reasonable, tangible information that would lead you to conclude that the oil and filter are NOT capable of running 10k miles, other than irrational fear and hearsay?

To repeat myself, I'm not trying to irritate you, but I don't understand how you can come to this type of question?

Last edited:
That some OEMs claimed lifetime transmission fluid when members here drained black, chunky fluid, might be considered by some a good genesis for such questions.

Also, one reason for "lifetime transmission fluid" claims was said to be to lower projected maintenance costs on paper.
Remember, this is the industry which brought us the Vega and said catalytic converters wouldn't work. They lie.

Old Saying: While scepticism is no substitute for wisdom, it's a good place to start.

And I'm not trying to sound rude either.

To repeat myself, I'm not trying to irritate you, but I don't understand how you can come to this type of question?
To be fair... the OP has 22 total posts and probably isn't as versed in oil/filters and oil change intervals as we are.

I just went over the same thing with my grandfather this weekend, he just bought a newer Rav4 and had never heard of 10k oil changes...

To answer the question, most filters now are up to the task of the manufacturer extended intervals of 10K+. Even the cheapest Supertech and Fram filters will say good for 10,000 miles on the box.

thats-bait-thats-clickbait.gif

My 2019 Toyota Camry XSE w/2.5L 4-cylinder requires 0W16 synthetic every 10k miles. I get that the oil may be good for that long but what about the oil filter?

Read your Owners Manual, does it say anything in there about changing your Oil Filter before 10K?

I once changed the oil for a buddy of mine and the car had a Cartridge oil filter that was not changed in 20K, it looked fine. No wavy pleats and no tears.

To be fair... the OP has 22 total posts and probably isn't as versed in oil/filters and oil change intervals as we are.
Wow ! Disregard that the OP has been a member here for as long as you though.... Posting doesn't equate to "knowledge". One could definitely gain a lot more knowledge from simply reading.

In no way do I mean for this to sound rude, but do you really think Toyota (or any OEM for that matter) would recommend a 10k mile OCI and not use a filter that matches the intended oil longevity? Would you have questioned that a decade ago when the OCI was 5k miles, presuming the filter only good for 3k? Or way back in the day, if an OCI was the typical 3k miles, the filter was only good for 1k miles?????

For that matter, how is it that you think the oil "may be good" for 10k miles, as if it's questionable and not assured?

Let's flip this around ...
Do you have any reasonable, tangible information that would lead you to conclude that the oil and filter are NOT capable of running 10k miles, other than irrational fear and hearsay?

I think it's a fair question.
Here's another: Do you believe in Toyota's lifetime transmission fluid? I ask because Aisin does not. On some forums, you are considered an idiot if "you think you know more than the Toyota engineers".

I run filters for 2 or even 3 OCIs. OCIs are approximately 5K or 1 year.
I admire your polite response; too many posters seem willing to be rude. Whatever the answer, we all have our own opinions, experiences and we all have to learn. We all performed a 1st oil change and hopefully continue to learn.

All good and I have to believe @dooscoop32 learned from your post. It certainly solidified my oil change service practice.

In the 70's 80's using an oil filter for 10 - 15,000 miles was the norm according to the owner's manual. Most engineering uses figures that account for twice the expected load. I think 10,000 miles on an oil filter should be a cake-walk.

I have that exact car. I use 5w20 full synthetic and change at 5k with a new filter. The fram extra guard can go for 10k. The OEM filter.likely can as well. But I would recommend a 5k oil change. The oil comes out pretty dark. You could probably do 10k if it was mostly highway miles.

Years ago an acquaitance didn't change factory oil and filter for 30,000+ miles . I know because I was asked to check it . Car was a '88 FORD Festiva ( Mazda 121 , 1.3 Ltr . ) used for food delivery and went on well over 130,000 miles . The oil was changed after that .

I know this is a clickbait-y video, but the "dents" in #1 & #4 cylinders are disturbing-like they were caused by piston skirt abrasion/slapping. Any chance that thin oil combined with long OCIs was the ACTUAL cause of the oil consumption, not just the stuck oil control rings?
The excessive cylinder wear has to be from a lack of lubrication on those cylinders if the two inner cylinders aren't worn the same. He mentions oil jets, and that they can become clogged. Wonder if the oil jets on those two cylinders were clogged ... he never got into it that far. Plus, he doesn't show the rings on the two inner cylinders that didn't have excessive cylinder wear. I'm not so sure that stuck rings could cause a lack of lubrication between the piston skirts and cylinder ... you'd think it would increase lubrication from lack of oil control on the cylinder walls. But since only 2 of the 4 cylinders exhibited the wear, it has to be a lack of lubrication issue going on IMO.

Run it for 10k and get some particles count UOAs. Repeat with whatever aftermarket filters you want and compare.

I presume the Toyota OEM - made by Denso - filters are good for 10K OCI, and apparently so does Toyota engineering so I am in good company.

However the Toyota manual will give a long list of reasons to change it at 5K. Lots of idling, lots of short trips, running with a roof top box, etc, etc. Basically anything other than basic light use.

The other thing people need to consider is the average new car buyer keeps there car for like 4 or 5 years and drive like 14K miles per year. So even a couple standard deviations further out from the norm were still only talking 10 years and under 150K miles. To think Toyota cares about the few customers that keep their cars outside of 2 standard deviations, if they care about any at all - is laughable.

So the question you need to answer for yourself is how long your keeping this car. If your looking at 150K or less, follow whatever the manual says and forget about it. If its your new forever car, then you might want to do things differently.

Back