Odd problems, Windows 10 or ECS MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background;
Running Windows 10 on an ECS A960M-MV I had no problems for 7 months. I recently did install 2x4gb KLEVV DDR3 1600 RAM, and maybe this has something to do with the problem.

Problem;
Just in the last week I have started having issues where:
A. The sound would cut out, both on my speakers through the on-board HD audio, and the USB headset.

B. When I hit the start (Windows) icon there is no reaction, no menu, no error message, no nothing.

C. There is no task bar.

D. I cannot tab out of my game (World of Tanks).

I ended up installing my video card, 2x4Gb KLEVV RAM, and 80Gb HDD into the Lenovo and everything seems to be fine. Surprisingly Windows 10 Pro did not mind migrating to a different machine that initially had W10 Home insalled on it. Less surprisingly, the 2x4Gb KLEVV 1600 is playing nice with the 2x2Gb 1333 Samsung(?) RAM. I am getting 70-110 FPS and 20 MS ping in game, so it seems the RAM and OS install is not the culprit.

Any thoughts?

BTW I am posting from an Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI lt running Ubuntu based Zorin OS.

did the issue go away on the ECS system when you took the RAM back out?

there is a such thing as RAM compatibility. Some boards just don't like some memory.

You need to run one stick of RAM at a time to narrow it down.

I'm a bit confused as to why you're mixing two different types of RAM (not the brands, but rather, the speeds and sizes). That's not exactly optimal and I'd bet a nickel that the motherboard doesn't like that.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
did the issue go away on the ECS system when you took the RAM back out? There is a such thing as RAM compatibility. Some boards just don't like some memory.
I didn't try running it with any other RAM unfortunately. I will try later when I have another HDD, or I might try a a linux boot disk however I would be comparing apples to oranges.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'm a bit confused as to why you're mixing two different types of RAM (not the brands, but rather, the speeds and sizes). That's not exactly optimal and I'd bet a nickel that the motherboard doesn't like that.

I wasn't mixing on the ECS board. It only had two DIMMs populated by two sticks of KLEVV 4Gb.

After moving everty thing to the Lenovo, CPU-Z is showing 12Gb at 1333 running Dual channel. Everything I have read points to mixing size, brand, and speed usually not being a problem at stock clocks. I played Tanks for a good 7 hours on high settings with absolutely no issues also.

Well the same problem popped up with the Lenovo PC using the same HDD and install. Rebooting resulted in a properly running PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back