Octane question: Solara V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Its a 2000 Camry Solara V6 3.0 1MZ

I wonder if people running regular is part of the reason the engine became a sludger to begin with.

It was due to the way the engine was designed. The head runs HOT for emissions purposes and add to that regular dino oil ran for too long (toyotas recommended 7,500 mile interval) was the reason why some engines formed sludge.

My 98 Camry V6 (same engine) has ran on nothing but regular gas since new. It has 209k on it now and I have no sludge. I use low grade synthetic oil @ 5k OCIs.

I have the 3.0L 1MZFE motor in my 2003 Sienna.
My father ran regular unleaded in it for almost 90K miles and was very happy with it.
I ran the same and then switched to premium (92-93) and I do notice a difference in performance.
I don't know if the fuel economy difference is great enough to pay for the increased cost, but I like that it performs better.
1 tank of fuel lasts me 2 weeks of normal routine, so spending 15 to 20 cents more per gallon is less painful for me than someone who uses more fuel.

Toyota had to lower the HP rating of this motor where they stated that 87 octane was OK.
The rules for HP rating are for the minimum octane stated in the owner's manual.
The 1MZFE does have a slightly high compression ratio.....around 10.5 : 1

Is running regular going to hurt the motor?.....My opinion is NO, not at all, unless you have done some modifications to it.

Will it perform better with higher octane?.....My opinion is YES, but some folks will not notice it.

My personal opinion would be to avoid add in octane boosters and use a higher pump octane if you want more octane.
Using a "TOP Tier" fuel might also be of benefit.

I also notice that, here in Wisconsin, Speedway Premium, I sometimes get pinging on acceleration, where I don't seem to get it with Mobil Premium or Shell Premium.
However, this could vary from region to region, and also between different vehicles.

2003 is the first year for the 1MZFE outside of the "gell" issue.
My advice on this would be to check the PCV valve now and then to make sure that it does not get clogged and to not go with extended oil changes....as these both have been reported causes of "gelling"....and are easy enough for an owner to do.
I use a synthetic oil also.
I also use a slightly larger oil filter......Bosch Distance Plus 3422 right now.
This would be the same size as WIX 51516 and Fram XG3600, instead of Fram XG3416

Spark plug hint:....use ONLY the DENSO or NGK plug that matches the number in your owner's manual or the number given on the emissions sticker under the hood.
The DENSO 4mm electrode "Power Plus" plug is rated by DENSO for a service life of 30K miles......I had to hunt to find that information in the FAQ section on their website.
The 7mm electrode plug that is recommended for your motor (varies between years) is rated for 100K miles.
I am guessing that the service life will be about the same for the NGK plug in each electrode size.

TOYOTA, through Toyota Racing Development (TRD), offered a super charger add-on for this motor,pre VVT (Variable Valve Timing) years.
I read that this was intended more for the Solara than for the minivan :)

Another TIP: You can register your car for FREE at the TOYOTA website using your VIN and get access to service history for services performed at TOYOTA dealerships, any recall information, and FREE online access to the owner's manual if you don't have one.

Originally Posted By: wiswind

TOYOTA, through Toyota Racing Development (TRD), offered a super charger add-on for this motor,pre VVT (Variable Valve Timing) years.
I read that this was intended more for the Solara than for the minivan :)

Another TIP: You can register your car for FREE at the TOYOTA website using your VIN and get access to service history for services performed at TOYOTA dealerships, any recall information, and FREE online access to the owner's manual if you don't have one.

Excellent info on the yota. I actually bought the car because it was a 1 owner car and he kept every service record from the dealer. Timing belts, PCV, Alignments, oil changes- He even had the charcoal canister done (I have read this is a very common issue) right before I bought it. He was a real maintenance Nazi. I think the only thing left to do is the spark plugs - I bought the Denso iridiums from AAP just trying to get the courage up to tackle the rear facing plugs... ugg

I needed to remove the upper intake manifold to do my rear spark plugs.
I removed the cowl (the black part between the hood and the windshield) to get a LOT more access.
THIS is the 2nd picture in the series of removing the upper intake manifold on my 2003 Sienna (1st picture is just telling you to drain some coolant from the system because there is coolant flowing through the throttle body).
You don't need to drain all the coolant.....just some to reduce the amount that will run out of the throttle body unit when you disconnect the coolant hoses.

Clicking on the picture will take you into the series of pictures.
I had already removed the cowl at this point.
The intake manifold is supported at the back to the engine mount.....so there is a fair amount of reaching far back while bent over.....and different size bolts and nuts.

If it says use premium, then use it.
Your costs will be attenuated by better running and gas mileage.

If you use regular, the knock sensor will be going off all the time, with resultant power loss and poor running.

I would run Premium,if that's what they spec. Would not use booster. Everytime you put some additive in you are increasing the chance of some impurity getting into the gas/engine. .02.

yes. 7,500 oci with dino is too long.. 5,000 oci kind of long too...

toyota v6 only need octane 87.. My 2006 camry v6 have 232,000 miles.. I only use chevron 87.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back