It's now cheaper to use octane booster than to buy premium gas

I think Costco fixes the issue. It’s not 20 cents like the old days (in 2008 even when regular was $3.499, premium was exactly 20 cents more, just like when regular was $0.999 in 2009, premium was $1.199).

As I type it’s $3.099 and $3.479 at Costco so almost a 40 cent spread. It is what it is no booster needed.

even the Costcos are 60-70c more than regular now :(

Look at the spread...

1000002429.jpg

Around here its about $.60-.90 depending on the station. If you really wanted to add octane just buy some Xylene/Toulene and add that to your gas. Lot better than those little octane booster bottles that barely raise octane. Still not cheaper than buying premium fuel though.

My solution on my truck was to convert to E85 and I've been running a 50/50 mix of E85 and regular. Works great as I get the octane I need and it works out to be cheaper than running premium even with the loss of mileage. Especially since I typically use my Kroger and Casey's points to get anywhere from $.40-1.00 off each gallon of regular/E85 when I do fuel up.

Who are the nincompoops that pay that.

Costco is 40¢ more here. The other day a Casey's was 85¢ more for premium.
costco is 50-70cents more here.

VP racing is a good brand so their 2.5 points might actually be 87 > 89.5
That however is the wrong additive.. it contains lead substitute and not for use with catalytic converters.

IF you get Street tuner max pewpewpew in a can that gives you 20 points yeah its .1 x 20 =2

The only octane boosters worth the money are products like Racing Fuel Concentrate and VP Octanium. Those STP and 104+ (small plastic bottle) products are not very effective. Otherwise you're better off paying at the pump for legitimately higher octane fuel... even though it seems like a lot more cost, it may be the best option if you want true high octane. Some stations sell 100 octane race gas at the pump.

Modern cars will adjust to lower octane gas so a little less performance and a little less fuel efficiency. I like the Snake Oil with PEA in it for the cleaning properties. Any octane boost is just gravy.

If your vehicle requires premium, and say you were on a road trip where your going to be burning thru gas in the course of a few days, I would just run regular. I you drive close to home normally, and wanted to save a bit on your gas bill with a normal amount of driving, I would run mid grade, which is 90 octane by me. You might not notice any difference from using premium . And if you do, then throw a bunch of octane booster in to give it a small bump.,,

In Waterloo Ontario the Costco has Regular at $1.469 CAD per litre, and Premium at $1.699 CAD per litre.

So for an Imperial Gallon the Premium is $7.73 CAD per Gallon. For the Americans, that would be $ 6.43 CAD per US Gallon ($4.75 US per US Gallon)

Back