OCI in US vs. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak

Coincidentally, the only two dexos2 oils I've ever seen on our shelves have also carried ACEA C3.

Yep, I was at a Caltex (Chevron) petrol station yesterday and they only carried 1 full synthetic PCMO. It was Halvoline ProDS 5W30 that was rated API SN, ACEA C3 and Dexos2.

That would work nicely for most things on the road.

It would work here, too, aside from us not having ideal ULSG or appropriate engine emissions modes, but for an ordinary OCI, it certainly works. There are actually three I've seen so far on the shelves here. One was Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30, the other Castrol 5w-30 C3, and I've seen the Pennzoil product once, too. They all carried the C3 and dexos2.

From a GM perspective, though, while they may be looking to it for the Vette (because an A3/B4 has such scary, catastrophic levels of phosphorus, apparently) so many other GM products have switched to a 0w-20, so I don't see them encouraging dexos2 across the board in Canada and the States, unless GM decides to completely revamp their way of thinking.

Of course, you and I know it would work just fine, but General Motors would certainly rather us use a 0w-20 in a work truck. Before anyone complains I'm attacking thin oils, my point is essentially this. In a GM engine that calls for 0w-20 dexos1, explain to me how there's any danger running any other dexos1 or dexos2 variant or viscosity on the shelf. I would agree not to run dexos1 0w-20 in a Cruze diesel, but a dexos2 0w-40 or 5w-30 or a dexos1 5w-30 isn't going to harm a dexos1 0w-20 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back