NYC ... My view from the past two weeks

Not the greatest pictures but pretty cool. If you look close you'll see the Statue of Liberty and the Concord making its way to the Intrepid Museum.
Freedom Tower.jpg
Concord to Intrepid Museum .jpg

It sure gives you the impression that Manhattan is almost at sea level. I believe the minimum elevation is 7 feet above seal level.
You're probably right. IIRC I was sitting in a plane at JFK and the flight monitor said we were 8' above sea level.

Went 2 weeks ago first time since Covid, and have to go tomorrow...that $15.38 crossing kills me (Outerbridge)!

Cool pics. Spent 18 months on Governors Island in 1980/1. Looks like the photo was taken from the West Village. Can't say I spent much time there. Not my thing. Times Square was pretty real and the subway was filthy but cheap and efficient. Enjoyed my time there. Always something to do after classes and on the weekend. Only a ten minute ferry ride to the tip of Manhattan. Heady days for this young whipersnapper!

Cool pics. Spent 18 months on Governors Island in 1980/1. Looks like the photo was taken from the West Village. Can't say I spent much time there. Not my thing. Times Square was pretty real and the subway was filthy but cheap and efficient. Enjoyed my time there. Always something to do after classes and on the weekend. Only a ten minute ferry ride to the tip of Manhattan. Heady days for this young whipersnapper!
Back in the late 70's early 80's as a kid I was was going through a Karate phase and my dad would take us to the really bad ninja movies on 42nd street. I was like "What is this place?". My dad a few years ago lamented that it probably wasn't his best idea. •

Back in the late 70's early 80's as a kid I was was going through a Karate phase and my dad would take us to the really bad ninja movies on 42nd street. I was like "What is this place?". My dad a few years ago lamented that it probably wasn't his best idea. •
Back around that same time, my wife and I had gone in and parked on 42nd St just outside the Lincoln Tunnel and walked east. Beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon. Coming back to the car about 10:30 at night, the "atmosphere" on 42nd St had changed, and not for the better. My wife was so scared she was hanging onto my arm for dear life. After that, we learned to park a little closer to our actual destination.

The job is officially done, a parting shot of NJ from the patio. Odds are very high that was the last job I'll ever do in NYC.
NJ.jpg
do in NYC.

I used to love to visit NYC, concerts at Carnegie Hall, NY Delicatessen, Wolf's, The Russian Tea Room.
Truth is, thousands are fleeing both NYC and NY State, Incredible cost of living, taxes, over regulation, combined with the migrant crisis, a toxic political situation, drugs and crime. A customer recently came into our store who moved out of NYC to Central Pennsylvania as NY legalized recreational marijuana, he says most places in the city just absolutely reek of marijuana and also urine from the homeless. The NYPD is struggling with staffing losses due to funding, early retirement, frustration with a failed legal system. It's sad to watch the decline of a once great city and cultural center. My hometown in upstate NY is also struggling with constant drug issues, economic decline as well as related domestic violence. I was planning to retire to my hometown, but the overall economic decline, idiotic gun laws, taxes and other things took that out of consideration.

I used to love to visit NYC, concerts at Carnegie Hall, NY Delicatessen, Wolf's, The Russian Tea Room.
Truth is, thousands are fleeing both NYC and NY State, Incredible cost of living, taxes, over regulation, combined with the migrant crisis, a toxic political situation, drugs and crime. A customer recently came into our store who moved out of NYC to Central Pennsylvania as NY legalized recreational marijuana, he says most places in the city just absolutely reek of marijuana and also urine from the homeless. The NYPD is struggling with staffing losses due to funding, early retirement, frustration with a failed legal system. It's sad to watch the decline of a once great city and cultural center. My hometown in upstate NY is also struggling with constant drug issues, economic decline as well as related domestic violence. I was planning to retire to my hometown, but the overall economic decline, idiotic gun laws, taxes and other things took that out of consideration.
They're all moving to SC and N. Georgia. (ugh!)

It always costs money to leave New Jersey, but its free to get into New Jersey. New Jersey is easy to get into, but hard to get out of. its like a ROACH HOTEL.
Why would anyone want to leave? We’ve got everything…

Yes, I noticed that too when I was there last summer, but it won't stop us from going back. As a matter of fact, we're already planning to return again this summer.
View attachment 209729
Agree.

These absolute low class, obnoxious marijuana shops are everywhere, it stinks everywhere. We even saw folks shooting up on subway steps when we were there in the late fall.

What bothered me the most was the turnstile jumpers in the subway. I almost closed some guys hand in the door because I’d slam the handicap door hard behind us because if it was allowed open, all sorts of folks just walk in. So obnoxious and offensive to those of us who pay.

Back