Notice How BITOG is More Pleasant These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I thought he was in his 70's , maybe he got sick and away from the internet.

Yes.
Definitely yes.
No. He chastised regular TV, but he was addicted to the internet, especially BITOG.

It's not possible that he's sick. He clearly told us time and time again people only get sick because of poor choices and mistakes they make. He made no mistakes about diet, exercise, or living environment; he told us so. Therefore, he cannot be sick.
whistle.gif

Right on Garak,
I could easily deal with the guy. I deal with much worse daily. I ain't no peach myself.
But what you said was exactly what ticked me off. You could be the cleanest living person in the world and have a health condition out of sheer misfortune-heredity and he would assume you were sub-human because your body wasn't perfect. Disgusting attitude. What goes around, comes around.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I enjoyed reading his posts.
If people can't handle someone not agreeing with them,then don't get on an internet forum.
It would be very boring if this became like Stepford Wives.

That is fine. However this was not the case. He lived for the cheap shot and personal attacks because he was a legend in his own mind. A real charming dude.

And here you are, taking a cheap shot at him. When he can't reply?

Charming...

In reply to a few threads here, my sincere intent of the original post was to acknowledge the work of the moderators to keep the forum moving in the right direction. No sarcasm was intended at all and I specifically asked not to name/lampoon anyone. Its nice to see people once again excited about discussing a new car or truck purchase without getting derailed about the evils of financing, etc..

Meaningless thread derailment benefits no one and simply takes the forum on a downward spiral. It's an ingenious form of bullying. This is different than spirited debate, intentional pot stirring for fun, and intentional entertainment provocation.

This forum continues to be a great place to get excellent advice from a very broad range of interests. Often better than subject specific forums. I wish we could get some of the true experts back on board to share their expertise.

We do have a couple of true experts currently, one of whom is delightfully clever in his writing and is a very pleasant member in his willingness to share his expertise as well as in his lack of condescension in replying to other members, me included.
We also have a few trolls still active, but to the extent that the mods have acted to dispose of some of the bad actors, kudos to them.

That one has a place in doing so - a sharp dude who is always both learning and teaching - the folks that bother me are the kind who exaggerate problems with almost everything except what they buy - notice that?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We do have a couple of true experts currently, one of whom is delightfully clever in his writing and is a very pleasant member in his willingness to share his expertise as well as in his lack of condescension in replying to other members, me included.
We also have a few trolls still active, but to the extent that the mods have acted to dispose of some of the bad actors, kudos to them.

+1

I still learn a lot from other members, that's why I am still here.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I enjoyed reading his posts.
If people can't handle someone not agreeing with them,then don't get on an internet forum.
It would be very boring if this became like Stepford Wives.

Who said anything about people not being able to handle someone who doesn't agree with them? That wasn't the case at all.

I usually don't pay any attention to people who seem to be on here to stir up trouble, which is not what this website is for. The people who do that sort of thing are the ones who don't need to get on an internet forum.

We do have a couple of true experts currently

I think we have quite a few true experts, in many fields. I rarely give them props publicly, but I always appreciate reading their knowledgeable posts. I won't name names, because then it becomes a popularity contest, rather than acknowledging great contributors.

Go ahead and name the ones still active.

I could be wrong, but I believe a few such guys are still posting.
Naming them would serve no purpose while hitting "notify" when they act out does.

I did start another topic on the Venus Williams crash, and somehow that got derailed. It did seem to stay on topic for a short period of time with a serious discussion about car accidents, but I saw maybe a couple of nasty posts and by the next morning it was locked and two posts I remember deleted. I was silly enough to think that we could discuss a very public situation without it devolving into taking about personalities.

I didn't notice Pops gone, but never really cared anyways. He had some insightful posts blended with ridiculous ignorance and hubris. The only post of his that ever upset me was in a newspaper thread (went political of course) where he said he basically never read anything because he already essentially knew everything LOL. I started writing a post but said the heck with it and just laughed.

If something [censored] me off on the internet I can always just log out and not post...

Also, keep in mind that "more pleasant" can also be "more boring"...

Originally Posted By: Neely97
The one thing I do see that is very rude is this.
A new member post a question and gets pounded for not doing a search first,.

Why not just ignore the thread instead of being rude.

Better yet ask about zmax and see what happens.

I generally don't bash anyone for this, but I can see posters being annoyed with newbs being lazy or just seeking attention/validation with worthless redundancy. That's also disrespectful...

I agree with this. Everyone was new at one point. Plus,the search feature here is atrocious,and if people think posting topics that seem commonplace is so bad and "offensive" the only alternative is to get completely rid of the discussion forums and just have a huge search bar instead. Plus information and knowledge is perpetually changing and growing. I'll post common topics if needed because I want to get the freshest opinions and experience with whatever it is I'm ascertaining to.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I agree with this. Everyone was new at one point. Plus,the search feature here is atrocious ...

The best way to search this site is to use the following search string in Google.

bobistheoilguy site: xyz

Where xyz is that you're searching for. This makes Google search only on BITOG.

Good tip but you accidentally transposed the search parameters. Should be topic site:url

In other words if you were searching for the boron additive in bitog using either Google or Bing you would enter:

boron site:bobistheoilguy.com

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I agree with this. Everyone was new at one point. Plus,the search feature here is atrocious,and if people think posting topics that seem commonplace is so bad and "offensive" the only alternative is to get completely rid of the discussion forums and just have a huge search bar instead. Plus information and knowledge is perpetually changing and growing. I'll post common topics if needed because I want to get the freshest opinions and experience with whatever it is I'm ascertaining to.

I agree, could not have said it better myself. So what if a question gets asked? You don't have to answer it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back