Notice How BITOG is More Pleasant These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Pop Rivit is gone? Hmm, never noticed.

But then again, I know this is just the internet, so I take nothing personal.

I never paid much attention to him either, but I think it would be pretty hard for anyone who frequents BITOG quite often to not notice him at all. I don't recall posting any responses to anything he posted, but I do recall many members getting annoyed by him and bickering with him.

I mostly try to add positive comments or neutral comments of a technical or numerical nature. If I see a silly/stupid/aggressive post I just stop reading and go to the next post, if it turns into a bickering match, I hit the back button and go to another thread.

Sometimes I'm torn between not adding to a rubbish thread, but feeling the need to add a counter point, more for the new reader who I feel may be mislead, rather than to directly argue with the thread OP. It should be more about diversity of view point (technical), rather than a person being right or wrong (personal).

Well at least that is what I try to do, apologies if I have ever stood on anybodies' toes.

I very much like it when it is civil and polite here, I like the jokers too. This collective mind can be quite amazing at times with the depth of knowledge on various subjects, not just oil.

Last edited:
I have better things to do on BITOG than lampoon someone unable to respond. Perhaps if the other contributors did, also, we could spend more time talking about motor oil. I'm done with this thread. Period.

Unless we get some GOOD CLASSIC drama queen threads again,I'll be forced to start watching Days of Our Lives!
laugh.gif
When we get those good long threads going,I find myself refreshing the screen constantly and not being able to pry myself away from the computer haha.

But......what ever happened to the tree monkeys?

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Pop Rivit is gone? Hmm, never noticed.

But then again, I know this is just the internet, so I take nothing personal.

I never paid much attention to him either, but I think it would be pretty hard for anyone who frequents BITOG quite often to not notice him at all. I don't recall posting any responses to anything he posted, but I do recall many members getting annoyed by him and bickering with him.

I know the user name, and that many were annoyed by him, but did not realize he was not here anymore.
Seems I do remember reading something a few weeks back about him getting a temp ban?
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I could read what you've posted as sarcasm and I hope that wasn't what you intended.
Some of the flamemeisters are now gone but some remain as well.
There is one member who seemed for a time to stalk my posts and post replies that were ignorant and insulting at the same time, for example.
This has been a very civil and open-minded forum for the most part for as long as I can remember.
The various curmudgeons add entertainment value and even they are fairly tame. If they aren't, they get a permanent vacation.
One also finds a lot more useful information here than can be found on many other car forums although their are also some excellent brand forums out there.
Now, if one wants to start a flame war, one need only post a thread in which the makes BMW, VW, Audi or Mercedes are the subject. Lots of quick replies about how awful these cars are, mostly from those who've never owned any of them. I've never had an Audi, but I have owned at least one each of the others and I found them to be as good or better than anything else out there.
Uh oh, I just hijacked your thread and started a flame war.
Sorry!

It takes 2 for a flame war. Reminds me of this pic:

I know I have found myself (here and other forums) typing out a long reply, but end up not posting it because it is pointless to do so.

Heck, for all I know, he may be on my ignore list. I find that to be the easiest way to deal with that type.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Dang it! Trying to keep things positive here. I asked for no names in order to avoid the dreaded thread lock. Sigh.

Meh...since you started this thread, me thinks that you secretly wanted a name to surface.
But I will agree that since a certain member from Iowa has been banished, it has been more pleasant.
I remember a certain post of his on how he prepared a meal for his friends, I mean acquaintances. (I can't imagine that he had any friends)
There was an urge from me to reply that his dinner guests probably hit the McDonalds drive-through on the way home, but I decided to be nice.

Pops was good sport...I always read his posts using the voice of Pops from the regular show in my head.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pops was good sport...I always read his posts using the voice of Pops from the regular show in my head.

Good show! Jolly good show!

I know I have found myself (here and other forums) typing out a long reply, but end up not posting it because it is pointless to do so.

I just did this on that BSOQI thread. Wrote a reply but deleted it when I noticed that fdcg27 had already replied with similar thoughts, but without being snide and sarcastic. OP never addressed his reply so my reply would've been even more pointless anyway.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I thought he was in his 70's , maybe he got sick and away from the internet.

Yes.
Definitely yes.
No. He chastised regular TV, but he was addicted to the internet, especially BITOG.

I have been here awhile, I can be a bit of pest from time to time, but that is the Submariner in me. Find a button...push it.

I ignored him and I certainly didn't let him bother me. I don't feel like much has changed. Same banter, some of it useless, but it is still useful as entertainment and a way to get a breather in talking about, well sometimes, absolutely nothing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Good show! Jolly good show!

LOL. My kids love that show...but so does dad....:)

I enjoyed reading his posts.
If people can't handle someone not agreeing with them,then don't get on an internet forum.
It would be very boring if this became like Stepford Wives.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I enjoyed reading his posts.
If people can't handle someone not agreeing with them,then don't get on an internet forum.
It would be very boring if this became like Stepford Wives.

That is fine. However this was not the case. He lived for the cheap shot and personal attacks because he was a legend in his own mind. A real charming dude.

I can't remember him posting anything that upset me, he seemed to know his stuff...and if he didn't know his stuff on some issue then I would've just ignored it. I don't get into tit for tat these days, and really dislike last word types. Like others I will post a long meaningful post, read it then delete.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I thought he was in his 70's , maybe he got sick and away from the internet.

Yes.
Definitely yes.
No. He chastised regular TV, but he was addicted to the internet, especially BITOG.

It's not possible that he's sick. He clearly told us time and time again people only get sick because of poor choices and mistakes they make. He made no mistakes about diet, exercise, or living environment; he told us so. Therefore, he cannot be sick.
whistle.gif

My only complaint is that the General and Of Topic section getting loaded up full of obituaries. We should make a separate obituary section and move it all the way down to the bottom of the main index page by the Test Forum. All the people who like to wallow in depressing stuff can go there.

Originally Posted By: mooferz

I just did this on that BSOQI thread. Wrote a reply but deleted it when I noticed that fdcg27 had already replied with similar thoughts, but without being snide and sarcastic. OP never addressed his reply so my reply would've been even more pointless anyway.

OP in that thread has a habit of not addressing replies he has no good answer to.
The OP has his meme and his model and believes what he believes.
The snarky and sarcastic replies are better dealt with the dry Australian Brit wit that another member is a master of.
The "do you divide by colour?" reply in the first BOQI thread was priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back