Not caring enough about a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT- One of many reasons I wouldn't touch a lease return with a 10' pole. Some people care about them, others don't, Why chance it?

Last edited:
MrWideTires, I'm doing the same thing. I have a 1.5T Ecotec GM Chevy Equinox lease. I don't think these are as prone to heavy fuel dilution like Honda's problem-child 1.5T though.

I like your reasons for leasing! Almost identical to my own. You can get insane deals like you say, only because interest rates are very low. Leasing is really a balloon loan.
Doubt if I'll renew the lease on mine either. I'll either buy used (CPO cars considered) or lease again, whatever works best.

For oil changes and care, I do have one more free oil change to go. My Chevy dealer keeps messing up the oil changes though. (over-filling, forgetting to change the oil filter and hoping I won't notice!!! etc.)
Therefore, believe it or not, its actually less hassle for me to do the easy oil changes myself to avoid their mess they cause every time they touch the car.
Seriously, they shouldn't be this incompetent, but they are. I guess I could try another chevy dealership, and might do that, for the last free oil change I get near Labor Day this year.

For you and me, sounds like we are doing about the same thing. I get the OLM to 0%, and don't care what oil it gets. The oil filter is an over-sized one though, but a lowly AC-Delco PF63E at that, when my own cars get Fram Ultras every time for the best available.

If you suspect fuel dilution, just use a cheap conventional (supertech) 5w30 for something a tad thicker, and you won't spend too much. It'll be fine for the lease period and beyond.
My lease has a year and a half, and the 2018 Equinox is problem free. Can't stand the turbo-lag in it. Car and Driver magazine complained about turbo lag in Civic Si's recently too.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
If I'm going through the work of doing an oil change, I'm not putting used oil in there, considering how cheap oil is. At that point.. why change it?

I love when people try to justify leasing or buying new. It doesn't make sense financially. If that is what you like to do then good for you, it's your decision and you can do whatever the heck you want, but don't tell me it is a better financial option.
lol.gif
Just the full coverage insurance alone would be more than double what I pay on both my current cars, and I have a perfect driving record.

I personally could never seem to make the dollars and cents come out in my favor , when I have looked into leasing . Your mileage may vary .

And car ownership is at least 75% dollars and cents to me .

Friend, family and I bought three HyunKia products from Hertz last year. I put on 22 thousand miles in the first year and none of the cars has had a problem. Got them for way under similar one year old cars on lots. Hertz gave them oil changes, at least. Almost all of the one year old cars on lots were rentals too, just for a lot more money.

Three year old cars are leases.

Had some left over filters for my deceased Buick Encore and tried to sell them to a neighbor. His answer, "No thanks, I'm leasing" Nuf said. I'm probably old enough so that I have few car purchases left before they take the keys away from gramps. Hopefully that will coincide with autonomous cars and I can just crawl into the backseat. In the meantime, we've all been very happy with those Hertz cars. No problems with any of 'em. Leases, I'm a bit more leery.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand how driving out the OLM and changing the oil isn't taking care of your vehicle. The OLM tells you when to replace your engine oil, or no more than 12 months if the Maintenance Minder light doesn't turn on, according to Honda. Now, according to other posts on here, the OLM on Hondas generally hits 0% around 8k miles roughly. He's using Supertech synthetic oil, so I don't understand how this is "neglect" or not taking care of his car, unless we all of a sudden have decided that Supertech is less of a synthetic oil than M1 or any other brand that we all believe can go beyond 8k miles on an OCI. He's gone from going above and beyond the maintenance schedule to following it to the letter. This isn't neglect, and he's not passing problems onto the next owner. Is the Honda fuel dilution an issue? Sure. That's not on him to prevent, however. That's a Honda issue.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What was your previous Oil Change Interval ? I recommend you continue that . Do unto others as you would have them do unto you .

Yes, at least maintain a respectable level of integrity. I could never understand people that destroy things because they don't own it. Very crass.

Totally agree.

Funny seeing all of these responses coming from the same people that in other threads talk about how society has gone down hill and isn't like the "good ol' days". Really sheds light on who we're sharing server space with.

Have some integrity and simply follow the OLM. If you do that any issue is not on you as you did what you promised to do by signing the agreement. Keep that bad juju off your [censored]!

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Have some integrity and simply follow the OLM. If you do that any issue is not on you as you did what you promised to do by signing the agreement. Keep that bad juju off your [censored]!

Where did you read that he wasn't planning on following the OLM?

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I'm thinking I'll ride out the oil til the OLM gets to 0%, regardless of whether it smells like fuel or not. It already gets Supertech and $1.80 filters from rockauto so it's not like I can go any cheaper..

Originally Posted by JustN89
I'm sorry, I just don't understand how driving out the OLM and changing the oil isn't taking care of your vehicle. The OLM tells you when to replace your engine oil, or no more than 12 months if the Maintenance Minder light doesn't turn on, according to Honda. Now, according to other posts on here, the OLM on Hondas generally hits 0% around 8k miles roughly. He's using Supertech synthetic oil, so I don't understand how this is "neglect" or not taking care of his car, unless we all of a sudden have decided that Supertech is less of a synthetic oil than M1 or any other brand that we all believe can go beyond 8k miles on an OCI. He's gone from going above and beyond the maintenance schedule to following it to the letter. This isn't neglect, and he's not passing problems onto the next owner. Is the Honda fuel dilution an issue? Sure. That's not on him to prevent, however. That's a Honda issue.

Nope, that's not neglect.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by BISCUT

Where did you read that he wasn't planning on following the OLM?

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I'm thinking I'll ride out the oil til the OLM gets to 0%, regardless of whether it smells like fuel or not. It already gets Supertech and $1.80 filters from rockauto so it's not like I can go any cheaper..

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with following the OLM with SuperTech synthetic, I think they are disagreeing with putting in used oil from a turbo Subaru.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with following the OLM with SuperTech synthetic, I think they are disagreeing with putting in used oil from a turbo Subaru.

Okay, that I agree with. That's my mistake- I read his post before the edit and didn't realize he edited that part in. I was fine with his plan unless he decides to do that.

If you are smart with finances, and save money towards your retirement and future medical expenses with a health savings account, max out your 401K and Roth IRA, and have other retirement accounts, and generally know ANYTHING about money, you'll never ever lease a car.

If you are broke, don't know anything about money or finances, then yes, leasing is probably a good choice for you. Like smoking. And drinking a case or two of beer on the weekends.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If you are smart with finances, and save money towards your retirement and future medical expenses with a health savings account, max out your 401K and Roth IRA, and have other retirement accounts, and generally know ANYTHING about money, you'll never ever lease a car.

If you are broke, don't know anything about money or finances, then yes, leasing is probably a good choice for you. Like smoking. And drinking a case or two of beer on the weekends.

Leasing only works for certain people and certain situations. I'd never issue a blanket statement like saying leasing is never right. Depends on the deal and your current finances. I know a retired guy on a pension who leases all the time. His pension is high enough that the lease is nothing much. I see other high net worth individuals like doctors that do 1k monthly leases on a Mercedes, they don't have any other debt aside from their mortgages on the house. For some brands, the manufacturer makes the lease more attractive than a purchase because they offer a really high residual and it's cheaper to lease than to buy because at least turn in, the purchase price is 10k higher than the market value. Which means you didn't pay 10k worth of depreciation in the lease which you would have in a purchase. Check out leasehackr.com for lease deals.

https://leasehackr.com/

And oh yeah on the OP, waiting til the OLM goes to 0% is fine, used oil is not. Have some integrity.

If you are smart with finances, and save money ......you'll never ever lease a car.
Get back to us how you feel after you replace transmissions in your oldGMC/Pacifica/oldAcura fleet.....
Your 401K will be missing $10,000+.

Over 50% of millennials don't do any of this they are depending on their pie in the sky safety net. Got three step kids that run their life like that. By the way did I mention I'm not leaving them a cent? 1 out of 4 of them has a brain.

I've leased a few cars (and financed others that I only ended up keeping for a year or two), but in every case I always treat the car as if I'm keeping it forever. Mainly because you never know if you might actually keep it much longer than originally planned but also because I just can't bring myself to intentionally neglect a car. What if you're leasing a car and then at the end of the term one of your close familly members (or best friend) tells you that they would really like to buy it out? Think about that.

That's the same advice a few legitimate millionaires gave me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back