Not caring enough about a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Off lease only" sells previously leased cars.

One look under the oil cap tells me everything I need to know.

Universally sludge'd engines.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
BITOG: where every thread leads to financial advice, whether you wanted it or not.

There is some truth to the above statement. BITOG members are often quite practically minded.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by supton

I think you're right, but I bet if I wanted to, I could. I mean, I typically get 5 years and over 100k out of brake pads; with a bit of careful driving (akin to hypermiling) I bet factory oil and tires could go that distance. But I don't think most drivers would be capable of that.

Not saying that I would, OCD would kick in long before then, even if it's not "my car" I wouldn't be able to go that long on old oil.

I think for some make/models, brakes and tires will go the distance. I know in the case of the late model Subaru and Nissans in the family, rear brakes (pads and rotors) are shot by then. My FIL had them replaced on his last Nissan Rogue before he turned it in for the 2019. Tires were original on that 2015.

In terms of engine oil. I would think after 18-20K miles on the factory fill, the sump would have to be topped up regularly to keep the engine from scattering into bits. I'd guess that even if that car saw 2 oil/filter changes in that first 3/36, it would still lead a long life. That's all your typical rental car is going to see. I've owned several of those w/out powertrain issue.

Had to do the front brakes on Fiance's 2017 Leaseon Sentra with 16K miles two months ago. Can't believe they were worn out to the wear indicators. Neither of us are aggressive enough drivers to wear a set of brake pads that quick.

Rear discs wearing out seems to be normal on everything small with rear disc brakes.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by supton

I think you're right, but I bet if I wanted to, I could. I mean, I typically get 5 years and over 100k out of brake pads; with a bit of careful driving (akin to hypermiling) I bet factory oil and tires could go that distance. But I don't think most drivers would be capable of that.

Not saying that I would, OCD would kick in long before then, even if it's not "my car" I wouldn't be able to go that long on old oil.

I think for some make/models, brakes and tires will go the distance. I know in the case of the late model Subaru and Nissans in the family, rear brakes (pads and rotors) are shot by then. My FIL had them replaced on his last Nissan Rogue before he turned it in for the 2019. Tires were original on that 2015.

In terms of engine oil. I would think after 18-20K miles on the factory fill, the sump would have to be topped up regularly to keep the engine from scattering into bits. I'd guess that even if that car saw 2 oil/filter changes in that first 3/36, it would still lead a long life. That's all your typical rental car is going to see. I've owned several of those w/out powertrain issue.

Had to do the front brakes on Fiance's 2017 Leaseon Sentra with 16K miles two months ago. Can't believe they were worn out to the wear indicators. Neither of us are aggressive enough drivers to wear a set of brake pads that quick.

Rear discs wearing out seems to be normal on everything small with rear disc brakes.

For comparison my 4+ yr old 435i has over 50k miles on it and still on the original brakes with plenty of life to go.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

For comparison my 4+ yr old 435i has over 50k miles on it and still on the original brakes with plenty of life to go.

The difference is rust belt vs non-rust belt climates.

The elements and what they put on the roads in the winter kills brake components way before the operator can wear them out.

We've leased several cars. The last one was a screaming deal. The dealer offered us way too much for a trade in on a 9 yr old collision damaged van with a wonky transmission, plus grad student incentives, plus other incentives. Lease payments were actually less than fixing the van's transmission, with the lease cost around $100/mo. Our only expenses were a set of tires and minor schedule maintenance (3 oil changes). We were only 400 miles under the limit, so no mileage penalties.

Lately we've been buying since the great deals are mostly gone.

Last edited:
I guess the car is gone, so it doesn't matter, but I maintain lease vehicles as if I were going to buy them at the end of the lease. I joke about it 'being a lease,' but I always take care of my stuff.

I believe that we think that most people who don't care about their leases still go to jiffy lube or Wal-Mart for an oil change and wait for the oil change light. As long as the oil is changed per manufactures spec it's fine. I bought an off lease ford fusion first thing I did was change the air and cabin filters because I knew of course those wouldn't have been changed on a car with 30,000 miles. I've owned many ex rental cars and I still think a personal lease vehicle is the better buy. Would you rather buy a vehicle driven by one owner and their family or a vehicle rented out to hundreds of people? Anyone who posts on this website understands and cares about cars in general. I'd have a hard time not taking good care of a car even if it was a lease.

I lease for 24 mos. I change the oil at the OCI light one time myself and that's it. Good enough. The Chevy I leased had free maintenance so I did do that. The RAM's don't.

Even when 'neglected' in the BITOG way, a Honda will go forever without issues.

I'm convinced they are 'built' to be neglected, just seen too many survive horrible abuse and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back