Not all Bolts come with DCFC - Why!!??

I recently started looking at Bolts and found out something absolutely insane... on 2017 and 2018 Bolts, CCS/DC fast charging was an $750 option.

In 2019 CCS became included.

What I think is ridiculous is why GM would even bother building this car without CCS and also why anyone would have even bought the car like that?

I recently started looking at Bolts and found out something absolutely insane... on 2017 and 2018 Bolts, CCS/DC fast charging was an $750 option.

In 2019 CCS became included.

What I think is ridiculous is why GM would even bother building this car without CCS and also why anyone would have even bought the car like that?
Some of the 2023 Bolts (cheap ones) only have front seats and lack heated seats.

Its been my belief a long time that any pure bev requires DCFC and heated seats.

Cars are virtually useless without either

Back in 2016, there were still first-gen Nissan Leafs that only had 84 miles of range and they were quickly harmed by DCFC. It was a different world.

Penny pinching at its finest? trying to compete for the cheapest loss leader on the lot?

I'm guessing somewhere someone would have preferred to save the dollar. No need for high speed charging, only drove 3 miles a day, single occupant, etc.

Penny pinching at its finest? trying to compete for the cheapest loss leader on the lot?

I'm guessing somewhere someone would have preferred to save the dollar. No need for high speed charging, only drove 3 miles a day, single occupant, etc.
I think originally they were just designed as city cars(the Leaf especially) and likely didn’t think fast charging would be that big of a selling point.

Some of the 2023 Bolts (cheap ones) only have front seats and lack heated seats.

Its been my belief a long time that any pure bev requires DCFC and heated seats.

I used my heated seats for the first time and probably last time this year in both our cars, in the last couple of days when temps declined into the teens in Central Texas. I could live without them. I don't see why this is an essential feature for all cars. It's very location specific, I see you live in Wisconsin. Most people there would probably say the same as you. But I would say in Texas that given the choice people would rather have cooled seats than heated seats.

I used my heated seats for the first time and probably last time this year in both our cars, in the last couple of days when temps declined into the teens in Central Texas. I could live without them. I don't see why this is an essential feature for all cars. It's very location specific, I see you live in Wisconsin. Most people there would probably say the same as you. But I would say in Texas that given the choice people would rather have cooled seats than heated seats.
It’s been below 0 here. I don’t think I’ve owned a car in 20 years now that didn’t have heated seats. Even my F150 with cloth seats was heated. I don’t mind not having them if they’re cloth seats but leather stays colder feeling longer.

I used to live in Las Vegas and while I had cars there that had heated seats, I rarely used them then.

Why?
I like options. The one step up trim level (which is the only available here has the package and honestly wish I didnt have to have heated seats)
I think car companies that sell these cars without home charging set up is useless and GM is the ONLY company that installs home charging in your house for free, even in the base model. Also since it qualifies, the US taxpayer will give you $7,500 to buy the car! ;)
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 12.02.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 12.09.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Why?
I like options. The one step up trim level (which is the only available here has the package and honestly wish I didnt have to have heated seats)
I think car companies that sell these cars without home charging set up is useless and GM is the ONLY company that installs home charging in your house for free, even in the base model. Also since it qualifies, the US taxpayer will give you $7,500 to buy the car! ;)
View attachment 199510

View attachment 199511
Do they actually cover home installation or just give a mobile charger for home use? I’m unfamiliar with their process, but if they actually get you wired for home charging that’s pretty sweet.

Do they actually cover home installation or just give a mobile charger for home use? I’m unfamiliar with their process, but if they actually get you wired for home charging that’s pretty sweet.

I don't see it. It says they're working with an EV charging coordinator that will obtain competitive quotes from their network of installers. I don't think they're attached to any single equipment provider though.

With General Motors’ new partnership with Qmerit, getting an EV charging station installed in your home has never been easier! Consumers can visit Chevrolet.com, complete the questionnaire, and get up to three quick and accurate competitive quotes. All electricians are Qmerit-approved and vetted ahead of time.​

Considering an installation could require a service panel upgrade, wiring, permits and more, I doubt installation is covered. Perhaps basic installation, such as attaching it to the wall and wiring it up.

Our house is old, 1962. I did the panel and wiring upgrade years ago so the NEMA 14-50 and #6 copper wire were all that was needed. Last year I swapped out the plug for the hardwired Wall Charger.
1705778541560.png

My post about installing a charger is wrong (as of my reading right now)
They install the 40 Amp breaker, 40 Amp outlet and wiring for Level 2 charging.

@JeffKeryk No Jeff, Its obivious GM is not going to install a new breaker panel for you. Your home can either handle it or not. There is something about a credit should you home not be up to date.
The value of this deal is $1,250 and that is it. It's a sweet deal for many people with new/newer homes which is a significant part of the public and for those not, well, your buying an electric car so you got to deal with it or use the snail method ;)

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.00.51 AM.jpg

Source =
Click here, GM Outlet Install

Last edited:
My post about installing a charger is wrong (as of my reading right now)
They install the 40 Amp breaker, 40 Amp outlet and wiring for Level 2 charging.

@JeffKeryk No Jeff, Its obivious GM is not going to install a new breaker panel for you. Your home can either handle it or not. There is something about a credit should you home not be up to date.
The value of this deal is $1,250 and that is it. It's a sweet deal for many people with new/newer homes which is a significant part of the public and for those not, well, your buying an electric car so you got to deal with it or use the snail method ;)

View attachment 199672

Source =
Click here, GM Outlet Install
That’s a very good deal honestly. If I didn’t have the pre wire for most of it that would make me lean that direction if I needed another car.

Pretty sure it's a non heat pump car?

Heated seats save non heat pump EV's notable range loss by lowering the need to run the restive cabin heater.
I dont know if its heat pump but heated seats in this car seem to me as no different than ICE vehicles and come as an option. Meaning the base car doesnt have heated seats.

I dont know if its heat pump but heated seats in this car seem to me as no different than ICE vehicles and come as an option. Meaning the base car doesnt have heated seats.
I still remember when every one warned about using heated seats so much to preserve the elements. Seems to be the opposite with EVs. I wonder if they’ll be more likely to be standard equipment on less expensive EVs, assuming that’s not already the case.

I do have them set to auto in the Tesla which backs them down when I would shut them off in my other car, but normally I wouldn’t leave a seat heater on low long term. I prefer not to use them unless it’s legitimately cold like it has been lately.

That’s a very good deal honestly. If I didn’t have the pre wire for most of it that would make me lean that direction if I needed another car.
I took my wife to see one yesterday, I think I posted someplace else. Dealer was closed but the car doors were open! Gosh it was so nice to be able to spend time checking out the car without a salesperson scoping you out. *LOL*

For me, it's a neat electronic but im used to 3 row SUVs so took some time to get used to not sitting in a living room or looking at a house size vehicle.
My first impression though was wow, inside the car feels so much larger than when you stand outside the car and look at it *LOL*
I kind of like it. it still blows my mind I am looking at such a small SUV/EUV not the standard non SUV though they look VERY similar.

Though its not for me, it would be for my wife to replace her Mazda 3 We dont have any urgency to buy or need a car other than its something new to buy. So I dont know what to do, my mind says forget about it for a couple more years. I tend to get caught up in wanting to or buying things because of forums sometimes. *LOL*

Ok, wife's impression, she thought it was cute, though she also likes MiniCoopers and (get this) that little I think discontinued Fiat car. (no, was never a possibility, she knows NEVER and not serious knowing how deficient they are)

Deep down I think I know she would love to have this Bolt, so much so I could most likely go there now and buy it and she will be thrilled. At the same time she is easy like that with buying things meaning doesnt need to have it. I think even for her the size took a minute or two to get over because we did quickly walk over to the Equinox's and check them out.

So bottom line, it's a cute LITTLE SUV. We were over all impressed with the fabric and leather seats, fit finish, really cool. Also popped the hood and checked it out. This was the LT1 version, very nice. There was ONE thing that might have swayed me to be more serious. It didnt have the optional BOSE sound system in this one. We did turn on the sound and it was really pretty darn good sounding, separate tweeters high up etc. But its a joke between me and her, her whole life, that premium sound system never came with the car that we bought (keeping in mind hers is really a second around two car)

SO ONE OTHER CONCERN that needs to be known. Im concerned enough to know how long it can sit unused without a cord attached to it. After reading about events and learning more about these EVs it seems the low power draw can be a deal killer for a car that sits around unplugged for a week or two and the low voltage draw significantly can run down the charge.
Her Mazda sits in the driveway sometimes for a week or more without being used, though I guess we can start using the garage as we get it cleaned up from last years move to our new house here.

Ps. Disclaimer. Im not buying a car, just have that sinking feeling because we really dont have a need for it yet. The Mazda really still is in perfect condition, inside and out, just dated looking.
On the flip side, Taxpayer is giving me $7,500 off my tax bill, the Mazda trade or sale would double that = cheap price for a new EV.
I know I am not going to do it, taking on too much, still getting settled in from the move and if it was only a little bigger. Time will tell maybe when the newer version comes out late 2024.
One other thing, are they still producing these 2023's ? Makes me wonder because I can still get the Bolt with the Bose sound system just by going to Chevy's website and ordering it to be picked up at the dealer near us. There seems to be a lot of them around, maybe they arent selling? Or they played catch up from the strike or they still are making them but keeping the 2023 designation until they come out with the Bolt and new battery pack or maybe just because it just turned 2024.
Who knows> ?

Back