Non-Used 5 Quart Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say no problem , as has been stated , as long as you do not allow the remaining oil to become contaminated . Unlikely . Just use a clean funnel and pour until the dip stick shows full . Start & stop the engine & check again .

Honestly , and seriously , I would say engine oil has a much better shelf life than humans .

Best wishes , :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bhoppy1216
I often will buy the 5 quart bottles because they were are better deal, but my car only takes 3.9 quarts at a time, and my wifes trucks takes 6. Either way I am left with some in the bottle at the end. My question is, if I put the non air tight cap back on it and store it in my shed will it still be good to use later down the road? OR will it have lost some protection properties.

It'll be fine. Just use the old oil first the next time. I've used oil that was a partial jug numerous times, some with UOA and noticed no difference.

Ideally, match the same old brand and type to both cars. Say a PP 5w-30 for one car and a PP 0w-40 in another. Your leftover quart in the 6 quart engine car won't be noticed.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
My car holds 3.9 so even if I did just throw all caution to the wind and became a thrill seeker like you said I would still have one full quart left over from the 5 quart bottle. My question was will that one quart still be good to use for the next time down the road.

Of course it will be. Why wouldn't it? There won't be any "protection properties" that escape.

I mean I don't know why it wouldn't. That's why I'm on a forum asking a bunch of other people. I'm an English teacher not a chemist or engineer, so I don't know the shelf life oil car oil.

Yes, but you are a Texan, so you should know that!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I mean I don't know why it wouldn't. That's why I'm on a forum asking a bunch of other people. I'm an English teacher not a chemist or engineer, so I don't know the shelf life oil car oil.

It won't degrade. Motor oil isn't very volatile at room temperature (you can smell it so some components are obviously volatile) but it is in a plastic container with a secure cap. It is no more vulnerable than when it is sitting on the shelf at Walmart.

There are two types of oil, of which smelling them makes me nauseated.
Hot gear oil of any kind(sulfur)
Hot Mil Spec 23699
Just a weakness, I guess.
smile.gif

Although it doesn't make me sick, I have always hated the smell of diesel fuel, which makes anyone that knows me laugh. I have handled literally 10's, if not hundreds, of millions gallons of diesel fuel in my life. Although the newer Ultra Low Sulfur stuff is a little more olfactorily palatable.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My civic uses 3.7 quarts and my wife's corolla uses 4.4 quarts, I use 0W-30 in mine and 0W-20 in hers...I pour the extra back into my "frankenbrew" bottle and use in my car once I have enough.

And no, synthetic oil doesnt go bad...

Last edited:
This is why I like buying single quart bottles. Plus, they're also easier to pour
smile.gif

Napa Synthetic is a great deal when it's on sale, and there's also the parts store oil change deals with the 5 quarts. I also agree with the person who said to just pour in 4 qt
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Maybe the OPer doesn't use the same oil in the car and truck?

Anyway, should be fine to keep some oil in an opened bottle until your next change.

I am looking to put them on the same oil but eve with a 7500 OCI on my car I am changing oil every two months due to my work commute while my wife's truck goes 3-4 months. Was just wondering if I could save that left over quart for my wife's truck to save a bit of money. Thanks for the confirmation:)

Good on you for saving a ton of money in the first place by changing your own oil! Plus you have a much greater peace of mind factor that way...

Don't worry about some folks jumping on you for a simple question, it was certainly a valid one and it makes sense to get some answers if it's bothering you. I have only learned enough on here to realize that I am still mostly ignorant about motor oil and cars in general... ;^)

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Lawn mowers and other 4 cycle OPE need oil too.

I used to buy oil for my small engines in bottle sizes that matched the sump size.
Eventually I noticed that I was paying about 2X what I would for similar oil in a larger quart bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back