Nobody sells oil drain bolt washers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer here gave some to me, and they were confused about why I'd want any, much less the cost. I was actually doing a differential drain, and they were the same ones. In any case, that's another reason I threw a Fumoto valve on the G37, so as not to be playing with crush washers. Most vehicles recommend they be replaced each time, even when they're not real crush washers. On some of the GMs years ago, you were supposed to change them each time. We never did, and didn't have a leak in a million kilometres. On other vehicles with real crush washers, your results may not be so good.

Originally Posted by philipp10
I've never changed one and have never had a leak in 40 plus years of oil changes. I guess the logic is that the washer crushes and conforms to any out of tolerance surfaces, like if the drain plug threads are at an angle....

Aluminum or copper are soft and will "strain harden" when mechanically stressed. Look up what "cold forged" means. Once the metal is is strain hardened it generally won't budge unless it breaks. I remember an infamous demonstration in a materials science class I took. The prof would a small and unathletic looking female student and ask her to bend an annealed copper rod, which was easy. Then he found a big male student who looked like he worked out and asked him to bend it back, which he couldn't.

Especially with Honda aluminum crush washers, Ive seen them dig into the drain threads and even into the drain hole. I've never reused one, but I could imagine flipping one over where there's still a bit of uncrushed metal on both sides to mate to the bolt and to the pan. They tend to crush in different places.

The most desperate I got was when I didn't have a new 10 mm gasket for a Toyota. I've bought Honda 10 mm aluminum crush washers meant for an 80s brake line. But I just carefully centered a a Honda M14 aluminum washer which sealed just fine. There was no way it was going to work a second time.

If it's a true "crush" washer like Nissan and Subaru uses, they are designed for a single use despite what some posters here may say. Overall, drain plug washers are cheap. I obtain the factory part number and buy them in 10 packs on eBay. EZPZ.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not....
Auto Zone
Advance Auto
O'Reilly's
Pep Boys

Sure glad I didn't decide to drain the oil in my four month-old 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI first. I wouldn't want to re-use a used washer.
With millions of 2.4s on the road today (Kia/Hyundai), you would think auto part stores would stock these.

Every auto parts service worker behind the desk pointed me to where various washers are on the shelf. I haven't a clue which one fits my bolt, not without draining the oil first. Every service desk guy wanted to see my old one.
I'm not chancing a leak afterwards. So I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I suppose I could buy it from Kia, which is a shorter distance to my home.

Not....
Auto Zone
Advance Auto
O'Reilly's
Pep Boys

Sure glad I didn't decide to drain the oil in my four month-old 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI first. I wouldn't want to re-use a used washer.
With millions of 2.4s on the road today (Kia/Hyundai), you would think auto part stores would stock these.

Every auto parts service worker behind the desk pointed me to where various washers are on the shelf. I haven't a clue which one fits my bolt, not without draining the oil first. Every service desk guy wanted to see my old one.
I'm not chancing a leak afterwards. So I will go to the dealer tomorrow. I suppose I could buy it from Kia, which is a shorter distance to my home.

Just mail order those filters by the six pack off Fleabay like I did. They come with gaskets. I'd advise using only OEM Filters on a Hyundai / Kia anyways. That and keeping your receipts and record the dates and mileages just in case. You'll probably not need em but in the event you do you don't want to be the one who gets denied a waranty engine claim. They once had a service bulletin out to only use OEM filters and for a while denied engine claims in some cases based on that. Yes it's true.
They've been pretty good about warranty engines but who knows how long they will be so 🤥generous. Because of their long term engine issues with those Thetas I'd be overly careful to do everything right by the book just to CYA.

. I wouldn't want to re-use a used washer. .

Why?

I have been changing oil for 40 years, and reuse them every time.

I think I have changed 2-3 washers in 4 decades.

Still not quite understanding why you couldn't just buy the right sized washer at a hardware store. Vehicle manufacturers probably get them from the same suppliers, it's nothing special or magical at all.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Couldn't you just go to the hardware store and buy a washer of the correct size? I doubt they're anything special.

That said, I don't think I've ever changed one, and as long as your vehicle doesn't leak oil from the plug, I don't see any reason to.

Nope, these would be hard to find at a typical hardware. They have a ton of daylight in the middle. Mostly all daylight., unless when it's pitch-black in the room..... lol

I bought a 10-pk this morning at the Kia dealer. Service counter did not give any dirty looks, when I mentioned it was for their Kia Sedona's sister...... my Hyundai Santa Fe, with the same 2.4 GDI engine as their Kia.
He asked me if I was a first time shopper and I said yes. Showed him the ignition key for my Hyundai and told him I was still a zero-time shopper at the Hyundai dealer.

Still not quite understanding why you couldn't just buy the right sized washer at a hardware store. Vehicle manufacturers probably get them from the same suppliers, it's nothing special or magical at all.

Depends on who. Honda gets theirs from a Japanese supplier. Hyundai/Kia comes from Korea. Nissan has the funkiest drain washer I've seen. But for the most part anything should work - copper, aluminum, fiber, nylon, etc.

However, I'm not sure that hardware stores have sealing washers suitable for cars. I've ordered automotive washers at Grainger, but they're more an industrial supply house with lots of different odds and ends. Once I was looking for the right washer and ended up asking at various independent parts stores. Several Napa stores had assortments in compartmentalized plastic boxes where they were sold loose. I don't recall they were actually Napa branded or anything. I kind of miss those trays of Dorman parts.

See my response at 11:08.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Not....
Auto Zone
Advance Auto
O'Reilly's
Pep Boys

Your owners manual may have the answer.

What good is the owners manual when I need the part that day - which is Sunday. No Korean new vehicle dealers in Lower Michigan open on Sunday.
Wait - are there any new vehicle dealers open on Sunday...... anywhere in the USA.... any brand?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by supton
I don't recall there being a crush washer on dad's 4.3L Astrovan, not sure why these things became necessary. Anyhow, I mailorder oil filters and they come with the crush washer already. I think I did buy a bag of washers once, separately, now I have more Toyota washers then I'll ever need (since the filters come with 'em).

I wonder if they are critical; most of the time the washer stays stuck to the oil pan until I knock it off. I wonder if that's "good enough" of a seal.

A lot of GMs came standard with an OE drain bolt with a captive silicone washer. Here's one:

[Linked Image]

The photo looks like the drain plug / bolt on our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l and our 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8 . I purchased a few spares + a few spare rubber washers . As cheap " insurance " .

Our Sonic has a cartridge filter and each new filter comes with a new O-Ring . One oil change , I was in a hurry & did not change the O-Ring . It leaked . Learned my lesson .

The oil filter " cap " is plastic . Ordered a new one of those , too .

https://www.autozone.com/external-e...mString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
If it's a true "crush" washer like Nissan and Subaru uses, they are designed for a single use despite what some posters here may say.

I'll venture to say that those "some posters" have never seen a Nissan crush washer especially after they've been used. Based on what I've seen, they are probably not re-usable. Maybe you can but I won't.

I've re-used Honda washers with no issues when I didn't have replacements - just flip them over and they kinda re-crush (??). I did buy a dozen+ at a local dealer many years ago and since I have them now, I put a new one on each time.

Meistersatz sells them for this application. $0.64/ea from my supplier but you can probably find them elsewhere.

$5 / 10 pcs delivered to you
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222711187734

Originally Posted by The Critic
Meistersatz sells them for this application. $0.64/ea from my supplier but you can probably find them elsewhere.

I'd still think the Honda 94109-14000 would be ideal. I bought a whole bag full of them. Over the years I've used them in various Honda and Acura vehicles for both the oil pan and transmissions. The price has gone up over the years, but what hasn't? I rather prefer the Honda part because it's cheap and Honda dealers are everywhere.

However, it's just a 14 mm crush washer. There really isn't that much that can be messed up other than getting something that isn't really a crush washer.

I remember getting a bag of 100 from Rockauto for around $10 or so. Not sure if they still sell like this but if you buy bulk it shouldn't cost too much.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

I'd still think the Honda 94109-14000 would be ideal. I bought a whole bag full of them. Over the years I've used them in various Honda and Acura vehicles for both the oil pan and transmissions. The price has gone up over the years, but what hasn't? I rather prefer the Honda part because it's cheap and Honda dealers are everywhere.

However, it's just a 14 mm crush washer. There really isn't that much that can be messed up other than getting something that isn't really a crush washer.

The sizes are not the same; the internal diameter is different. I will try to take a picture later today.

The sizes are not the same; the internal diameter is different. I will try to take a picture later today.

For a Hyundai? I thought it all really just needed to be close enough. A lot of places sell crush washers as suitable for metric and standard sizes where it might be a difference of 0.2mm. I mentioned I centered a Honda crush washer on a 10mm Toyota drain bolt, but for the most part being off shouldn't be that critical as long as the washer is wide enough.

The O.D. on the ATF drain plug washer is closer to 20mm while the oil drain washer is 14mm (I think). I've got both at home and can take a picture later. I think the smaller one will still fit on the ATF drain though, it just won't reach the outside edge of the plug's head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back