No S, R, or P and it still got locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I belong to a lot of forums. Mostly Automotive and Motorcycle. This is by far the strictest when it comes to censorship. The things I have seen here sometimes leave me frustrated. But in the end it is entirely up to the owner how he wants to run the place. We are just visitors here.

If I was moderator here I would be even more strict. I'd be handing out infractions like Halloween candy. Putting you guys on temporary bans and if that didn't work, on permanent bans. Not joking.

In general, this is why democracies were established, so people like you can’t have too much power. Oops I went political.

I belong to a lot of forums. Mostly Automotive and Motorcycle. This is by far the strictest when it comes to censorship. The things I have seen here sometimes leave me frustrated. But in the end it is entirely up to the owner how he wants to run the place. We are just visitors here.

If I was moderator here I would be even more strict. I'd be handing out infractions like Halloween candy. Putting you guys on temporary bans and if that didn't work, on permanent bans. Not joking.

I can see it for flagrant violations, and when people are just belligerent to one another, but most of time, posters here usually follow the rules, and are fairly respectful of each other...also, your site would be very bland...

That isn't even strict. I can think of at least one place online where your comment will be deleted if you don't cite sources. You know why people keep coming back? Because the content is fantastic; rules make everything better.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

That isn't even strict. I can think of at least one place online where your comment will be deleted if you don't cite sources. You know why people keep coming back? Because the content is fantastic; rules make everything better.

I don't have a problem with rules on a forum...I have a problem with threads being closed even when the rules are being followed...

Im done.

Wayne, please ban me. Its apparent you're an anti-American snowlfake. The anti-American views held by the administration on this board dont go along with what I belive in .

Standing for the National Anthem isn't political, its patriotic!

If someone says they buy Valvoline because its made in USA, is that political?? Seriously, you need to back off.

Just remove my account altogether.

(My signature was removed because it was deemed political)

Last edited:

You're one of those, huh.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Im done.

Wayne, please ban me. Its apparent you're an anti-American snowlfake. The anti-American views held by the administration on this board dont go along with what I belive in .

If someone says they buy Valvoline because its made in USA, is that political?? Seriously, you need to back off.

Lmao it seems that YOU are the virtue signaling special snowflake who has been offended.

Nope, not at all. The adminds are free to do as they wish of course, but i dont have to be a part of it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I think what grampi and andrew are trying to say is this place is ruled like a facsist dictatorship.

1) It isn't.

2) You can run your site however you want.

3) Drawing comparisons to any political ideology or system of government is certainly 'P', so don't be surprised when this thread is locked too.

Politics involve all of our lives on a continual basis. it is intertwined in almost ALL aspects of our daily lives. Business, personal, home life, you name it. It's ridiculous to think others. It's also ridiculous to think ANY meaningful conversation can exist without some aspect of how politics and government effect us. I suppose this is why so many lightweight threads exist in the off-topic section. Rather sophomoric discussions are fine here, as are dry, technical ones.

It is, of course, true that the moderators...at the behest of the owner...can pretty much cease any thread that they choose. This is apparently an open ended decision based upon their own judgement. Sometimes they make some very ambigous decisions....but oh well. But I think what some members here are doing is trying to slide the scale a bit so that some more interesting discussions be allowed to take place without such a heavy hand.

You sound like you are to trying to defend being entitled to something.

And the suggestion that politics is somehow always relevant shows that you don't know where to draw the line. Politics used to be a very private matter that wasn't discussed in public unless through proper and articulated discourse. The ranting and whining of modern politics is not a natural progression but the symptom of a society that has abandoned discipline and formality.

This site is a great place to learn and discuss lubrication and automotive matters, but it would degenerate quickly if the politics and religion rules were not enforced.

Believe it or not, staying on topic is also a learned skill that some have and others don't.

You're all over the place with your post.

First AND foremost...I feel that I have zero entitlement on this board any more than anybody else does. This would include my opinions.

Secondly, since you've not noticed I guess....politics in modern discourse is highly relevant. It has and does permeate our live in almost every aspect. Drawing a "line"? It's as simple as this...if a member here ventures over or around a political "line"....I will feel free to do the same. I also understand that because I will have partaking of the forbidden fruit, I could be admonished. I accept that without reservation.

Thirdly...we are referencing the "Off Topic" section of the board where lubrication and such is left at the wayside in favor of more open and diverse discussion. And as such....staying on topic can be necessary in most respects...but at times discussions tend to wander. That's not a violation of the rules as far as I know.

My view on "bans".

Instead of just blocking/banning someone like a upset spoiled child,why not just PM the member who acted out of line,let them know what he/she said is not acceptable,and give them a warning,so at least they'll know what in the world they did that was upsetting. I've been "put on vacation" with no warning,no explanation,no nothing. Was it because I joined in on a slight off kilter humorous discussion? We're all human and individuals. There's A LOT of different personality types here,different walks of life,from all over the world. We're all different and have differing opinions,viewing life in different ways. None of us are saints,none of us are perfect. I remember when I first joined this site,I said something in a humorous post that I didn't realize was off the cuff. Helen PM'd me and told me to cool it immediately or suffer the consequences. Now THAT kind've moderation I respect,and I PM'd her back with an apology. Sometimes we don't realize what we post sounds as bad as it does until we go back and read it. That's why I wish we still had the "delete post" option.

This is definitely the best forum out there and I hope it is around forever. Like someone else here said,this is my go to site because on the most part it's mature and civil. I quit visiting the other forums where it feels like you're in a room full of 2 year olds. What I don't like,are posters who feel they need to personally attack another poster because they don't like their chosen topic they started a thread about. If you don't like whet you see,just move on. It's that simple. And if I'm attacked,I will attack right back.

Oh,and my lucky self got the flu! This is my first time out of bed all day :p

Im done.

I think I've found a kindred spirit!!!!

I agree with you a MILLION times!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My view on "bans".

Instead of just blocking/banning someone like a upset spoiled child,why not just PM the member who acted out of line,let them know what he/she said is not acceptable,and give them a warning,so at least they'll know what in the world they did that was upsetting. I've been "put on vacation" with no warning,no explanation,no nothing. Was it because I joined in on a slight off kilter humorous discussion? We're all human and individuals. There's A LOT of different personality types here,different walks of life,from all over the world. We're all different and have differing opinions,viewing life in different ways. None of us are saints,none of us are perfect. I remember when I first joined this site,I said something in a humorous post that I didn't realize was off the cuff. Helen PM'd me and told me to cool it immediately or suffer the consequences. Now THAT kind've moderation I respect,and I PM'd her back with an apology. Sometimes we don't realize what we post sounds as bad as it does until we go back and read it. That's why I wish we still had the "delete post" option.

This is definitely the best forum out there and I hope it is around forever. Like someone else here said,this is my go to site because on the most part it's mature and civil. I quit visiting the other forums where it feels like you're in a room full of 2 year olds. What I don't like,are posters who feel they need to personally attack another poster because they don't like their chosen topic they started a thread about. If you don't like whet you see,just move on. It's that simple. And if I'm attacked,I will attack right back.

It's nasty this year. I had it in November. Horrid SOB it was!

Hang in!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My view on "bans".

It's nasty this year. I had it in November. Horrid SOB it was!

Hang in!

Thanks Andrew!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't have a problem with rules on a forum...I have a problem with threads being closed even when the rules are being followed...

There are 15 paragraphs of rules which state, among other things, that the owners of the site can do whatever the heck they please! Can we pleeeeease stop with the R/S/P sophistry?!?
43.gif

There are 15 paragraphs of rules which state, among other things, that the owners of the site can do whatever the heck they please! Can we pleeeeease stop with the R/S/P sophistry?!?
43.gif

Sophistry? Wait....I need to get out my dictionary/thesaurus!!!!

Im done.

In describing a patriot; what songs he sung, stood for, or what he pledged allegiance to will be the least of his deeds, if mentioned at all.

What I'm trying to say is it's frustrating for us site members to follow the rules and still end up having either threads they started, or threads started by others that are interesting, closed when there are seemingly no rules violations.

Admins are simply trying to avoid threads turning into feces flinging contests, which ones like this are apt to do, despite not involving RSP at the outset. Public debate about moderation decisions will go south every time.

The admins on the board aren't trying to ruin your fun, or anyone else's fun. They're trying to prevent the fun from being ruined in the first place here.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Maybe one just needs to educate them self on how to navigate life not always mad at the world, especially trivial matters on an internet social forum. That old saying still applies and is good advice:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Of course this site is a "trivial matter". I don't think anybody is losing sleep over BITOG's moderation.

But be careful, that "old saying" could be interpreted as religion.

I think that old saying is something the hooch hounds use in their recovery program.

Ladies and Gentlemen -

Allow me, as a Mod, to expound here. A few things you need to understand if you are to participate here.

1) follow the rules; they are clearly spelled out
2) understand that the "rules" are a "minimum" we enforce; there are times when something goes off-course and while not a technical rule violation, it non-the-less violates the spirit of the rules or the intent of family friendly atmosphere
3) when you own your own website, you may set the rules as you see fit, ban those you don't want participating, and so forth
4) the Mods and Admin of this site serve as volunteers to the ownership; we're not compensated
5) the Mods and Admin respect the ownership, and will continue to do as directed
6) we don't troll for bad stuff; it's typically reported to us. If you see something unsavory, report it; don't add to it.
7) we do tolerate a very benign level of some small things; an example would be someone soliciting "thoughts and prayers" needed for a loved one, etc. That is NOT an invitation to have a discussion about religion on the public website, but to have PERSONAL interactions (in your own home, or in Private Messages).
- An appropriate public response to such a request could be "Done as asked" or "You will be in my thoughts this evening", etc.
- An INappropriate response would include invoking a deity, direct references to religion, etc.
If you don't understand the distinction we make, then refrain from posting!

Why do some threads get locked? Perhaps an obvious violation of the rules. Or an influx of comments in poor taste (such as calling someone a body part, or doing an end-run around the automated word censor, etc). If a thread has 5 pages, and only one post is a violation, we'll just remove the offending post. But when many multiple posts get out of hand, it's easier to just lock (or remove) the offending thread. Many threads start out OK by the OP, and take a bad course after a page or two. To parse it out by cutting it apart would ruin the congruity of the thread. All that said, we do encourage interaction, as long as it's within these guidelines. The GOT (general/off topic) forum is probably the MAIN source of MOST complaints. We've even discussed simply eliminating it. So if you cannot control yourselves, don't sit back and ask "Why'd that happen????" after the fact. I have often joked that the "7 degrees of Kevin Bacon" applies to a BITOG post; each thread is only 7 posts away from being locked!

We have thousands of valued members here; most act civilly. Those that don't are dealt with as needed. If you don't want to be active here, that's fine; you can choose to not log in, or PM a Mod and we'll permanently ban you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back