No S, R, or P and it still got locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: maximus
I think what grampi and andrew are trying to say is this place is ruled like a facsist dictatorship.

1) It isn't.

2) You can run your site however you want.

3) Drawing comparisons to any political ideology or system of government is certainly 'P', so don't be surprised when this thread is locked too.

Politics involve all of our lives on a continual basis. it is intertwined in almost ALL aspects of our daily lives. Business, personal, home life, you name it. It's ridiculous to think others. It's also ridiculous to think ANY meaningful conversation can exist without some aspect of how politics and government effect us. I suppose this is why so many lightweight threads exist in the off-topic section. Rather sophomoric discussions are fine here, as are dry, technical ones.

It is, of course, true that the moderators...at the behest of the owner...can pretty much cease any thread that they choose. This is apparently an open ended decision based upon their own judgement. Sometimes they make some very ambigous decisions....but oh well. But I think what some members here are doing is trying to slide the scale a bit so that some more interesting discussions be allowed to take place without such a heavy hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
If your question is what did I do to cause a thread to get locked so it won't happen again, then PM the moderators.

Donald:
Your's is the best response so far, IMHO....Sometimes I too wonder why a thread got locked.....

PS: The posts about 'guests' could get controversial real quick as not all 'guests' act as they should....

This is a privet forum, your freedom of speech does not apply here. They can ban you and delete your threads with out any fear of public criticism or retribution. they can and do make up the rules as they see fit on a whim. But, if it's the other way around, we are in the wrong. know what type of people you are dealing with.
Pm the moderators, maybe they will tell you, more than likely they will not though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Grampi, I've enjoyed your input through the years. Don't get banned.
Let it go

Geez....sounds like we are all to fear the Gestapo or something!

He hasn't done anything to get banned. If expressing his opinion results in being banned...then only the site itself will suffer, not him.

R was beginning to show up in the last couple of posts of that thread. Reread it and you'll be able to see it....just before it was locked.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
This is a privet forum, your freedom of speech does not apply here. They can ban you and delete your threads with out any fear of public criticism or retribution. they can and do make up the rules as they see fit on a whim. But, if it's the other way around, we are in the wrong. know what type of people you are dealing with.
Pm the moderators, maybe they will tell you, more than likely they will not though.

Everybody knows that freedom of speech doesn't apply in a private forum. The area of contention is the rule being followed (or not) by it's members...and then, threads being locked when seemingly....no rules have been broken.

THAT is the issue being highlighted here.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
R was beginning to show up in the last couple of posts of that thread. Reread it and you'll be able to see it....just before it was locked.

Ha ha ha..."R"? Ha ha ha...that, in itself, is hilarious. We have to say "R" instead of the word religion? Ha ha ha ha.....wow.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Everybody knows that freedom of speech doesn't apply in a private forum. The area of contention is the rule being followed (or not) by it's members...and then, threads being locked when seemingly....no rules have been broken.

THAT is the issue being highlighted here.

The overarching rule is that the Mods get to use their judgment to decide when they believe forum rules have been violated. A lot of it is left up to their interpretation, and they may interpret things differently than you and I.

But some paranoid people will go ahead and build all kinds of conspiracy theories around this. That's just human nature.

Ha ha ha..."R"? Ha ha ha...that, in itself, is hilarious. We have to say "R" instead of the word religion? Ha ha ha ha.....wow.
Sad but true!
frown.gif

OP used these abbreviations in the subject of this thread. Maybe gman2304 was just referencing them.

What else should we blow out of proportion?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I think what grampi and andrew are trying to say is this place is ruled like a facsist dictatorship.

1) It isn't.

2) You can run your site however you want.

3) Drawing comparisons to any political ideology or system of government is certainly 'P', so don't be surprised when this thread is locked too.

Politics involve all of our lives on a continual basis. it is intertwined in almost ALL aspects of our daily lives. Business, personal, home life, you name it. It's ridiculous to think others. It's also ridiculous to think ANY meaningful conversation can exist without some aspect of how politics and government effect us. I suppose this is why so many lightweight threads exist in the off-topic section. Rather sophomoric discussions are fine here, as are dry, technical ones.

It is, of course, true that the moderators...at the behest of the owner...can pretty much cease any thread that they choose. This is apparently an open ended decision based upon their own judgement. Sometimes they make some very ambigous decisions....but oh well. But I think what some members here are doing is trying to slide the scale a bit so that some more interesting discussions be allowed to take place without such a heavy hand.

You sound like you are to trying to defend being entitled to something.

And the suggestion that politics is somehow always relevant shows that you don't know where to draw the line. Politics used to be a very private matter that wasn't discussed in public unless through proper and articulated discourse. The ranting and whining of modern politics is not a natural progression but the symptom of a society that has abandoned discipline and formality.

This site is a great place to learn and discuss lubrication and automotive matters, but it would degenerate quickly if the politics and religion rules were not enforced.

Believe it or not, staying on topic is also a learned skill that some have and others don't.

The mods here are heavy-handed. I’ve learned that fact over the years as 1 or 2 threads I started were locked.

Anybody remember the thread I started about seeking my parental heritage?

It’s not going to change...and making threads about it is not going to change it.

Other forums’ rules/mods may not be as strict, but there’s also a price to be paid for that - the members usually won’t be near as knowledgeable.

I, for one, appreciate the fact that this is “a forum for adults” and there aren’t a bunch of 20 year old idiots posting meaningless junk.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Grampi, I've enjoyed your input through the years. Don't get banned.
Let it go

Geez....sounds like we are all to fear the Gestapo or something!

He hasn't done anything to get banned. If expressing his opinion results in being banned...then only the site itself will suffer, not him.
Didn't mean it to come across that way. It just seems he has a bone to chew that he wont let go of.
Is it worth it?

This is my go to site. You are right the site can suffer if we loose differing opinions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I, for one, appreciate the fact that this is “a forum for adults” and there aren’t a bunch of 20 year old idiots posting meaningless junk.

You mean the ones that post about tinting their taillights and street racing? Yes am familiar with those and am a moderator on one of them. But not active, had my fill of that. Hopefully they out grow it if they live that long.
smile.gif

What I'm trying to say is it's frustrating for us site members to follow the rules and still end up having either threads they started, or threads started by others that are interesting, closed when there are seemingly no rules violations. As andrewg said, it's tough to discuss anything without it containing some level of politics, and there may have been some politics in that last thread, and if there was, I missed it. I try to avoid the S\R\P subjects, and I try not to name call or get rude because I'm afraid I'll get the thread locked, or I'll get banned. I know I still push it sometimes, but I'm trying to reel myself in and not go that far. It's tough sometimes to maintain self restraint when a discussion gets heated. It's this point of the thread that it usually gets locked. Then I'm left with the feeling of wondering where the discussion would've ended up....

I belong to a lot of forums. Mostly Automotive and Motorcycle. This is by far the strictest when it comes to censorship.
The things I have seen here sometimes leave me frustrated. But in the end it is entirely up to the owner how he wants to run the place. We are just visitors here.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I belong to a lot of forums. Mostly Automotive and Motorcycle. This is by far the strictest when it comes to censorship. The things I have seen here sometimes leave me frustrated. But in the end it is entirely up to the owner how he wants to run the place. We are just visitors here.

If I was moderator here I would be even more strict. I'd be handing out infractions like Halloween candy. Putting you guys on temporary bans and if that didn't work, on permanent bans. Not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back