IPod - Check
Thumb Drive - Check
Smart phone with wire connection - Check
Smart phone with Bluetooth

1/4" open reel tape - Check

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That is the most hated, junk piece of music that I ever heard.

I cant believe you played that!

What ever happened to the intro of Also Sprac Zarathustra ?

Or the synthesizer ending to ELP's Lucky Man ?

OK, how about "Angel" by Massive Attack, or "Time" by Hans Zimmer then.
smile.gif

For me it will always be... Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

Pink Floyd- Another brick in the wall.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by grampi
CDs will always provide the best SQ, but people today don't seem to care about that in their rides. It's all about compressed files now...

Just how much sound quality can you really discern with all the wind/road/tire/engine noise while driving?

I listen to my CDs mostly while parked. I have a CD player in every one of my privately owned vehicles. MP3s are okay while driving.

Someone mentioned the Beatles on 78 RPM records - those were issued in India, possibly some other overseas markets.

Depending on the vehicle I still use 8-track tape, cassette tape, and CDs on a regular basis. I have a large collection and wouldn't have time to copy everything to a flash drive even if I installed car stereos that could handle it. At home LPs still rule the roost for audio. (A surprising number of new releases have been made on vinyl in recent years.)

Originally Posted by Saabist
Someone mentioned the Beatles on 78 RPM records - those were issued in India, possibly some other overseas markets.

My best friend has some of those. They sound incredible!!

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
8 Track - check
Cassette - check
CD - Check
IPod - Check
Thumb Drive - Check
Smart phone with wire connection - Check
Smart phone with Bluetooth

1/4" open reel tape - Check

An AM only radio with that one oval speaker in the middle of the dash-Check
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

laugh.gif

Don't laugh too hard. I'm rounding up factory parts for my '60 Ford panel van and that's one radio that it will have. Of course, I'm having an aftermarket company retrofit it to FM radio also.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Yeah, haven you hear that music on CD enough time to " autoplay" it in your head.

Time to listen to some "new to you" stuff !

I Just ripped Stravinski's Le Sacre Du Printemps performed by Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal

to see if I could blow the system up with the killer percussion on this piece
smile.gif
:0
smile.gif

Lease car HiJinks you know !

It was Mark Knopfler's "Down the Road Wherever"
Not exactly imprinted on my Ingrams yet.
grin.gif

Check out some of the latest Tangerine Dream. "Quantum Gate" is some of the best Electronic Music I have heard in years.

I do like my physical media. Psst, I even have records, lots of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Nobody uses CD's in their car anymore. Not in more than 10 years, and probably a lot longer than that.

I voted with my wallet
19.gif

I just had to check. Our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV model still has a CD player. Seems weird for today. I haven't bought a CD or DVD in probably 20yrs.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
You want compressed, try listening to Sirius... That is the main reason I refuse to subscribe or use that service. The Audio quality is noticeably awful.

When it comes to CD's ripped at high quality versus the CD, to be blunt, I can't tell the difference when I'm driving down the road at 70 mph. My vehicle is a vehicle, not a concert hall...

Try a new generation F-150. They have double pane glass and are extremely quiet. The audio quality remains at speeds in excess of 80 MPH.

Originally Posted by Eddie
My old MAZDA had a 6 disk CD player which was great, My 2014 MAZDA has a dumbed down single disk CD player. I was looking a new Honda, Acura and MAZDAs and they have no CD players. I really don't like that. Ed

I agree. All my 80's and 90's rock bands are on CD. ðŸ™

Originally Posted by madRiver
Ripping a CD to USB memory stick involves using a computer with CD which is a rare thing now.

My laptop and desktop both have optical drives. The laptop is less than 2 yrs old. When you buy a LP from the 800 lb gorilla that has auto rip included I download it into my Windows Media Player and burn a copy. 98% sound real nice. I'm old and like physical tactile things. But I do like some new stuff.

Originally Posted by Hermann
Check out some of the latest Tangerine Dream. "Quantum Gate" is some of the best Electronic Music I have heard in years.

Personally, not a big fan of what TD has been cranking out lately, but there sure is plenty of good electronic music out there these days.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

laugh.gif

The hot setup is to add a rear speaker connected to a spring-type reverb unit. I had a car with that ages ago. Still have the reverb pulled from it around somewhere.

I was surprised when we took delivery of my wife's loaded up 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that with all the features (long range radar, auto 4WD, air suspension etc) there was no CD player. That was the sole option it did not have - CD's are going away. I loaded all the best CD's on a thumb drive and play them. So no CD player is nothing new.

With that - when I got the new RAM Limited, I got the optional CD player lol

Could use a portable CD player and plug it into the Aux in and power outlet . Have A Sony portable , but it's buried somewhere in the shed .
grin2.gif

Back