Nissan Matic D replacement for 2005 Nissan Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

The color of new ATF has no relation to its performance.

The amount of color of an ATF out of a newly opened bottle is due to the amount of oil solvent red dye, usually in the range of 75 to 250 ppm.

As far as your "inkblots" you cannot determine much about the ATF's condition.

Good question. My thoughts below:

I believe the efficaccy of the fluid can be understood from the color of the dye compared to original.

I assume that the dye is there only for "signalling" purposes that has nothing to do with the fluid itself (the dye has no lubrication or other property to aid the transmission).

By signalling, I mean, the designers of the dye made it so that it could be used as a proxy for how effective the oil continues to be.

Hence, if the dye has decayed/deteriorated completely, it can be assumed that the oil is beyond its useful purpose. However, if the dye still looks like it used to when the oil was new, it can be assumed that there still is life left in the oil?

I did want to stress that I am not making absolute claims about the color of the oil: I'm simply comparing the change in the dye color over time (and hence why I asked these questions in the first place)

I would love to stand corrected if there is no logical basis in any of my assumptions or questions.

Please teach me more!

Quote:
I believe the efficaccy of the fluid can be understood from the color of the dye compared to original.

I assume that the dye is there only for "signalling" purposes that has nothing to do with the fluid itself (the dye has no lubrication or other property to aid the transmission).

By signalling, I mean, the designers of the dye made it so that it could be used as a proxy for how effective the oil continues to be.

Hence, if the dye has decayed/deteriorated completely, it can be assumed that the oil is beyond its useful purpose. However, if the dye still looks like it used to when the oil was new, it can be assumed that there still is life left in the oil?

Sorry, none of those assumptions are correct.

Those dyes are analine dyes that simply color the fluid for identification/differentiation purposes.

The original dye coloration can be masked by oxidation and particulate load, changing the Optical properties of the fluid.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

The original dye coloration can be masked by oxidation and particulate load, changing the Optical properties of the fluid.

I too had thought of that possibility, but how can that explain that the fluid is much lighter in color than the deep pink that the Nissan-Matic D has.

If masking was solely at play (and I understand it too has a contribution), then the color would only get deeper (and not lighter)

Your thoughts are welcome and thanks for continuing to contribute. I can only learn from people like you!

Quote:
I too had thought of that possibility, but how can that explain that the fluid is much lighter in color than the deep pink that the Nissan-Matic D has.

If masking was solely at play (and I understand it too has a contribution), then the color would only get deeper (and not lighter)

As a guess, I would say that NissanMaticS (or equivalent), which is clear, was added at some point in time.

Originally Posted By: ranknewb
Originally Posted By: mrgrim
I just think changing it with something that meets specs is better than leaving in the old stuff.

Makes sense. 2 questions for you:

1. Did you happen to have a look at the color of the ATF (in my first post)? It looks a healthy pink?
2. Is the color of either the Maxlife or Castrol, Dark pink?

Sorry, I originally kept looking at what were actually the engine oil spots. I'd say the ATF kind of looks like a pinkish-brown. Only way to really get an idea of its condition is to send in a sample for analysis.

Maxlife and Castrol are both cherry red as with I think any brand when new.

Sorry, I originally kept looking at what were actually the engine oil spots. I'd say the ATF kind of looks like a pinkish-brown. Only way to really get an idea of its condition is to send in a sample for analysis.

Blackstone?

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: ranknewb

Blackstone?

Thank you.

Blackstone seems to be the most popular here, but I'm sure there's others.

Let us know what you end up going with — BITOG'ers seem to love drain and fill stories....

Does this transmission have a pan to drop, or does it use a fill and drain plug? If this transmission uses a pan, OEM pan gaskets are always far longer lasting than aftermarket ones. The filter may also be better.

Anyway, I'm used to using Maxlife in Nissan Matic D transmissions and never having a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back