Nissan Matic D replacement for 2005 Nissan Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan Sentra 2005 is a bit above 83000 mi and I bought it used on CL at 75k mi. I don't have any maintenance records on the car but I have been doing oil changes regularly.

The automatic transmission fluid is dark pink but not black:

I took two pictures, both with the ATF on the left and Engine oil on the right
One is with flash and one without.

http://imgur.com/a/KGeFb

The ATF looks dull pinkish to me. So not dark. Which I think is good news?

Hoping not to stretch my luck that the ATF is still not dark, I decided to change the ATF this month, but cannot figure out what to get.

The service manual calls for Nissan Matic D, and the dealer is willing to sell it to me for $15/qt with a 30 day lead time as they don't stock it locally.

Reading the FSM from 2005 closely and reading on forums, Nissan Matic D can be replaced by a Dextron III/Mercon but there is significant controversy and ambiguity as to which equivalent is best suited:

It looks like most suggest that most synthetics are a good alternative, including Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol Multi-import ATF and Amsoil ATF, to name a few.

Also, since the FSM was written in 2005, the Dextron III has been disenfranchised and made "more generic" than before (would love to stand corrected!).

So my questions are these:

1. Is anyone on this forum who actually used any of these alternatives in their 2005 Nissan Sentra instead of the OEM Nissan Matic D?
2. What was your experience and will/did you change your choice?
3. Have you considered using this to replace the PSF of the Nissan Sentra? (or perhaps this should be a separate question?)

$15/qt is a massive ripoff. Matic-D is nothing special and is basically Dex III. I recently did a D&F with MaxLife in my Infiniti which also calls for Matic-D and it's great. Shifts are firm, yet crisp. I noticed with Matic-D, shifts start getting sloppy after 15k miles or so. For PS, if your system calls for Dex III there, you're fine using MaxLife as long as you have no existing leaks. This is a good time to also inspect your high pressure PS hose; they're infamous for leaking in Nissans and a syn fluid like MaxLife may exacerbate leaks.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input!

Originally Posted By: mclasser
$15/qt is a massive ripoff. Matic-D is nothing special and is basically Dex III. I recently did a D&F with MaxLife in my Infiniti which also calls for Matic-D and it's great. Shifts are firm, yet crisp.

I agree and that's why I'm asking here.

D&F is exactly what I intend to do. I do see people going with MaxLife but some have also strongly recommended Castrol (Multi-import ATF?)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3761175/Re:_00_Sentra_1.8L_Maxlife_ATF#Post3761175

I noticed with Matic-D, shifts start getting sloppy after 15k miles or so.

Hmm, would you be suggesting a D&F even with the MaxLife every 10k?

For PS, if your system calls for Dex III there, you're fine using MaxLife as long as you have no existing leaks. This is a good time to also inspect your high pressure PS hose; they're infamous for leaking in Nissans and a syn fluid like MaxLife may exacerbate leaks.

Interesting. Could you point me to a few posts on the net that talk about this?
I typed in "nissan sentra power steering leak" and looked a various posts that seem to mix various root causes, one that's about the PS washer coming loose.
I would like to know more.

Nothing special about Matic D, Nissans version of Dexron. No OEM fluid needed.

Use ANY import, high mileage, universal, or multivehicle ATF that shows the spec. I've used them all in dozens of Nissans and never had an issue. Nissan also has an ATF conditioner for Matic-D equipped transmissions that chirp. Pretty lame fluid if it requires an additive from the dealer.

On a budget, Mercon-V is good too.

Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline.... have excellent ATFs.

Use the same fluid in the PSF. Just siphon, refill, run vehicle, and repeat as needed.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Use the same fluid in the PSF. Just siphon, refill, run vehicle, and repeat as needed.

Thank you.

Would you happen to remember if the stock PSF is the same color as the stock ATF (which is believe is dark pink)?

The PSF is usually NissanMaticD as well.

Redline D4, Amsoil ATF, or MaxLife ATF are fluids that work well.

Your Sentra should have a drain plug on the AT pan that will make draining and refilling easy.

I have owned various Nissans since 2001 and have found the Nissan fluids not something to write home about.

Last edited:
Nissan-Matic D is Dexron III. Any name-brand D/M "Dex Merc" or Dexron-VI ATF will work fine.

Maxlife is the best value and full synthetic.

I use Castrol IMV for my Versa and I think it's actually certified by some Japanese standard. It's not miracle fluid, but it gets the job done and I'd rather pay $5.50+/- over $15/qt (I once saw one gallon jugs of IMV at PepBoys for $20-25).

I think they only use Nissan brand fluid for factory fills and warranty work anyway (don't quote me on that).

Originally Posted By: mrgrim
I use Castrol IMV for my Versa and I think it's actually certified by some Japanese standard. It's not miracle fluid, but it gets the job done and I'd rather pay $5.50+/- over $15/qt (I once saw one gallon jugs of IMV at PepBoys for $20-25).

Yes, everyone raves about Valvoline Maxlife ATF but some people really dislike it and recommend the Castrol Multi-import ATF instead.

I wish there was someone out there who had tried either/both in their 1.8 Nissan Sentra engine and had some recommendations

Originally Posted By: ranknewb

I wish there was someone out there who had tried either/both in their 1.8 Nissan Sentra engine and had some recommendations

confused2.gif

I don't think you want to put either PSF OR ATF in your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

confused2.gif

I don't think you want to put either PSF OR ATF in your engine.

Serves me right for replying while distracted. I meant transmission.

Any Dex 3 is more than adequate for it. I've used various brands of conventional Dex3 in my Dads 01 Frontier since the first drain, and fill.

Original Transmission has never had a single issue. Truck has 261k on it. Also called for Matic D.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
However, there are better fluids. Just saying.

This is what I am waiting to hear!

You mentioned Redline D4, Amsoil ATF: have you used the Castrol ATF?

What are your thoughts about it?

I have never used any Castrol product in any vehicle, and I would never use any Nissan fluid.

But I know what is in MaxLife, D4, and Amsoil and I trust their formulations.

But if you are set on using Castrol, then go ahead.

Last edited:

Yes, everyone raves about Valvoline Maxlife ATF but some people really dislike it and recommend the Castrol Multi-import ATF instead.

Some people have said Maxlife ATF gives smoother shifts, others say Castrol is firmer — it really comes down to preference, but the more you dig into it the more your head will spin. I only went with the Castrol because the product sheet said JASO certified. You'll do fine with either. I just think changing it with something that meets specs is better than leaving in the old stuff.

I just think changing it with something that meets specs is better than leaving in the old stuff.

Makes sense. 2 questions for you:

1. Did you happen to have a look at the color of the ATF (in my first post)? It looks a healthy pink?
2. Is the color of either the Maxlife or Castrol, Dark pink?

I just think changing it with something that meets specs is better than leaving in the old stuff.

Makes sense. 2 questions for you:

1. Did you happen to have a look at the color of the ATF (in my first post)? It looks a healthy pink?
2. Is the color of either the Maxlife or Castrol, Dark pink?

What does that have to with anything?

The color of new ATF has no relation to its performance.

The amount of color of an ATF out of a newly opened bottle is due to the amount of oil solvent red dye, usually in the range of 75 to 250 ppm.

As far as your "inkblots" you cannot determine much about the ATF's condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back