Next 100k on a Sienna 2GR-FE oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the '10 Sienna just rolled over 120k, I've been thinking about what oil to use moving forward. For its first 100k, it got M1 5w30 at 5-6k intervals from the dealership (stretched to 8-9k a few times). I've done QSUD and a wix the last couple of times, at 5k intervals. And most recently, it got "The Works" at Ford (Motorcraft 5w30). None of these oils have been consumed at all. I can't tell a difference between any of these oils in the 3.5. The engine seems to be fairly clean from sludge. It sees a fair amount of highway, but also quite a bit of cold weather short trip driving.

Toyota specs an API SL 5w30, so very basic specs. It takes 6.5 quarts and a cartridge filter, which ups the cost at the shop.
The "maint required" idiot light comes on at a set 4500-5000 miles. I don't know how much I'd like to push that number.

Here are my local options: (Costs are ballpark)

-Motorcraft 5w30 and rotation from Ford dealer $50

-(MS5K?) conventional and rotation from Chevy dealer $45
-(Mobil? blend?) Dexos 5w30 and rotation from Chevy dealer $55

-Mobil 1 5w30 and rotation from Toyota dealer $85-90

-Buy my own oil (PP, M1, QSUD or something else) and filter (Wix), have my mechanic change it for an extra $20-25

-Any other suggestions??
(Going for 200K, but the reason I ask is because it actually needed a repair to the VVT cam gear at 100k, with 7k on that fill of M1.) Not sure if that is an oil-related failure or not.

I appreciate the insights. Thanks.

I too have a 2GR-FE in a 2010 Rav4, with 103k miles now, haven't heard of many VVT cam gear failures at that mileage!

I normally get the free tire rotations at Walmart. If tires aren't installed there they do them for $10. Or you can go to Discount Tire and they will do them for free I believe.

I normally take the Matrix to the Ford dealer, Quick Lane and it's $25 for 5w30 or 5w20 and an MC filter. They will match dealer coupons.

This last time I went to the Toyota dealer and brought my own oil which was $9 after rebate and a Fram Tough Guard filter for $6 at WM. Brought in an oil change coupon to the dealer and the total was a few pennies shy of $8. So $23 for a full syn oil change.

Funny, I have a '12 and the spec is 0W-20 for 10,000!!! I bought some OE filters and oil from the dealer when I purchased it so it has seen nothing but TGMO since new. IMHO, this engine, which rarely sees 3000 rpm, could run on just about anything with a 5-6,000 mi OCI.

BTW, aren't the cartridge oil filters a giant PITA? Another attempt by Toyota to discourage DIY.

My parent's 05 Avalon at 240k+ miles hardly uses any oil still.

The cartridge oil filter system on this car is still better than any Ecotec car. Afraid of busting those plastic caps when changing it.

Its getting cold in MN. Move your oil over to a 5w20 or 0w20.....for better and easier winter start-up.

IMO.... your under-utilizing your synthetic oil. A 7500+ mile OCI..... should work perfectly for any top-tier syn. BTW...you can use the above grade oils....all year (not just the winter).

Change to a Fram Ultra filter and leave it on for two OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back