New vehicle

I'd never buy a "new" new vehicle. If you are looking for ride, comfort, durability, pretty decent fuel mileage, and something that will go 400,000 miles with proper maintenance, look for a Ford product built on the Panther platform; Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Marquis, or Ford 500. I've owned a lot of different cars during the last 63 years, the last 5 of which have been Lincoln Town Cars. They've just been the best of the best~!

There is no doubt the Panther platform is legendary, but it was also too legendary for Ford to be encouraged to continue making and evolving them.

You can learn some interesting information by taking a sawzall to a Toyota, such as how most are generally engineered to outlast the average or even the determined owner's interest.

There is no doubt the Panther platform is legendary, but it was also too legendary for Ford to be encouraged to continue making and evolving them.

You can learn some interesting information by taking a sawzall to a Toyota, such as how most are generally engineered to outlast the average or even the determined owner's interest.
There comes a point when a vehicle isn't selling in numbers to make them feasible to continue to produce and the platform is simply outdated and would cost too much to "update" The Panther platform was at that point.
Conversely-the Fusion which came out after on a completely different platform with completely different motors was an extremely reliable and solid car.
Sometimes you have to move on.....

Last edited:
I can agree with this to some degree, if we are limiting the discussion to the Panther, or even the Fox platforms.
However, the Five Hundred was based on a Volvo platform, not the Panther.
The last Panther platform produced was in 2011, with the end of the Crown Vic.
IMO, such a statement of excellence is not applicable to anything that the FOMOCO is currently producing.

I can agree with this to some degree, if we are limiting the discussion to the Panther, or even the Fox platforms.
IMO, such a statement of excellence is not applicable to anything that the FOMOCO is currently producing.
True that. My buddy just purchased a new Super Duty truck and barely put on 1,000 miles. Dashboard went out. No gauges. None. It's been at the dealer for almost two weeks and they are clueless....

This is humor right, what's the newest panther... 20 years?
I don't know, knock on wood, but Ford at one time used pretty decent parts in their cars. My Focus is running with I think almost original everything under the hood. All the fuel/brake lines, wires, rad, AC stuff, steering rack, coolant hoses, are original. I've had the alternator rebuilt, and changed the thermostat once. Original front struts on it too, rear shocks were done at 80-90k miles?
I have no panther experience but I suspect its similar. Just simple decent parts in a simple design? Change engine and trans fluid semi regularly and drive on!

If you are looking for ride, comfort, durability, pretty decent fuel mileage, and something that will go 400,000 miles with proper maintenance, look for

one of these

1692895278849.jpg

Cars and Bids

There was time when the Panther was the forum's recommendation for every kind of prospective vehicle buyer. Need a highway cruiser? Panther. An urban commuter? Panther. Weekend sporty car? Panther. High-MPG grocery-getter? Panther. Kid's first car? Panther. It's actually kind of funny if you remember the thread where the "Panthers for everyone!" mantra first started. I'll have to see if I can find it.

You could also buy almost any toyota...heck, a hybrid will do. I have seen the hybrids go 300k without issues or battery replacements.
If your definition of decent fuel mileage is under 20 MPG average...then you are delusional.

I'd never buy a "new" new vehicle. If you are looking for ride, comfort, durability, pretty decent fuel mileage, and something that will go 400,000 miles with proper maintenance, look for a Ford product built on the Panther platform; Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Marquis, or Ford 500. I've owned a lot of different cars during the last 63 years, the last 5 of which have been Lincoln Town Cars. They've just been the best of the best~!

I'm not so sure about this one... :cautious:

I may be sarcastic here.

Ford for 400K miles, no way.
I have a friend with 2015 Fusion.
Around 100K miles beginning of 2021, something broke on the fuel solenoid something, fix more than $1000.
The end of last year, not sure of the mileage, the transmission gave up, cost more than $4000 to fix.
He does not have the $ and the car got towed due to parking it and not moving it in an apt complex.
It is more expensive to fix it so he let it go to auction by the car impound.

It is only one experience but I am sure it is not the only one.

These days it seems everything costs a few grand to repair. But I'm not sure how that adjusts for inflation against the past. I mean, those old 3AT's and 4AT's, just how cheap were they to have rebuilt back in the 70's and 80's?

But today's cars do seem to have more systems which can brick a car.

With the issue(s) being more tied to quality control at assembly and at the parts suppliers than anything else. I own 2020 F150.

Back