New vehicle packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Correct me if I'm wrong... The sunroofs have a drain pipe to discharge the water in case they leak. So why are people worried about leaking sunroofs even though they have never had one leak.

Correct. People who complain about leaks probably park under trees which after a while, causes the drains to clog up from the debris they drop. Then the water has no place to go but inside.

All sunroofs leak, that's why the drains are there. I have mature trees shading my driveway and yard. Parking under them clogs the sunroof drains. I prefer the trees to the sunroof, hands down. I hope never to have anther sunroof.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Went to look at the 2020 Explorers. Wasn't gonna buy today, maybe next year, just wanted to see what was out there.

I wanted white or black, v6, rwd not awd, but a more basic level not a fancy one.

Nope, you can't get a v6 without getting an upper trim level.

How disappointing. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for crap I don't need and I don't want an Ecoboost.

Both of my Escapes were weirdly packaged. The 08 V6 was super basic while my 10 4cyl has way more features. So even just 10 years ago the engine size had nothing to do with the features of the car...

Sounds like you want a vehicle customized to your particular tastes/needs. You can build one on Ford's website with all the options you want on it*: https://shop.ford.com/build/explorer/#/select/

Nuke

* - be prepared to add packages of upgraded items that include unwanted options in order to get one of the things you want. That's how it is with car makers now, no way around it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Does any maker offer options ala carte any more?

Some makers like Porsche and MB down to trim pieces do however it's more complex and expensive to build.

Way back in the day you could order Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. any way you wanted. They had an order sheet and you checked off the individual options you wanted. No packages required. Those days are long gone unfortunately.
I'm not a fan of sunroofs and I prefer cloth seats to leather but to get the options I want I usually have to get them also.

Originally Posted by harrydog
Way back in the day you could order Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. any way you wanted. They had an order sheet and you checked off the individual options you wanted. No packages required. Those days are long gone unfortunately.
I'm not a fan of sunroofs and I prefer cloth seats to leather but to get the options I want I usually have to get them also.

That is how it should be, government regulations have pushed it such that a different transmission is considered a new platform requiring millions of dollars of tests.

Platform law needs to be changed, it costs the manufacturer very little to offer off the shelf engine and transmission options but the law makes it too expensive to offer consumer choice.

It's beyond frustrating trying to configure a car on the manufacturers' websites. Some even go as far as to deny you a specific paint color when you add an option package. That's crazy to me.

Want some better looking wheels? Prepare to pony up for an "appearance package". Remote start turn you on? "Convenience package". Everything's a money grab, AND a compromise now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back