New vehicle packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rand
Sunroofs leak/break/make noise etc.. they are nice when new.. not so much after 5-10 years.. they also reduce the head clearance in car by 1"-2"

The car package thing is common..

My jeep I wanted the upgraded stereo.. it wasnt available unless I got the "elite trailhawk" which is an additional $3000+

other non-trailhawks you could just order with the upgraded radio/speakers.

for years on subaru if you wanted a MT you had basic options only.. in 2015 I had to special order one from the factory they had 3 forester premium MT in a 12 state area.. none with winter pkg.. there was a few of the base MT. You couldnt get the XT or touring with MT. Fast forward.. now no MT.. and not a giant fan of CVT.

Yeah, I hate sunroofs too. The one in my Escape leaked a ton of water inside the car, stained the headliner and the seat, and while it's fine if I drive it a lot, if it sits for a week or so it smells weird in there. I found out the drain tube on the drivers side is clogged, so I used some weed trimmer plastic thingy to try to clear out the clog, and it helped, but didn't completely resolve it, so I just pulled the fuse for the sunroof and siliconed it shut. Problem solved!

You also hate puppies and unicorns? Who doesn't like a sunroof open on a nice spring day?[/quote]

I don't like sunroofs period. The car that I want with the higher end options mandates a sunroof which sucks. I also prefer cloth seats over leather, but I have no choice but to get sunroof and leather to get the other things I want.

A lot of stuff is kind of werd. But it's cheaper to make standard package vehicles than it is to have each one be one off. I'm a base model kind of guy, so manual transmisisons coming on base model is fine with me. I have been looking at new Rangers pretty closely. I like that I can option in the rear electronic locker on the XL model (with vinyl seats and floor!!!) without getting the fx4 package.

Originally Posted by Miller88
A lot of stuff is kind of werd. But it's cheaper to make standard package vehicles than it is to have each one be one off. I'm a base model kind of guy, so manual transmisisons coming on base model is fine with me. I have been looking at new Rangers pretty closely. I like that I can option in the rear electronic locker on the XL model (with vinyl seats and floor!!!) without getting the fx4 package.

If you get the new Ranger it has the same 2.3 Ecoboost as the explorer, right? I'd love to know what you think of it

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Rand
Sunroofs leak/break/make noise etc.. they are nice when new.. not so much after 5-10 years.. they also reduce the head clearance in car by 1"-2"

The car package thing is common..

My jeep I wanted the upgraded stereo.. it wasnt available unless I got the "elite trailhawk" which is an additional $3000+

other non-trailhawks you could just order with the upgraded radio/speakers.

for years on subaru if you wanted a MT you had basic options only.. in 2015 I had to special order one from the factory they had 3 forester premium MT in a 12 state area.. none with winter pkg.. there was a few of the base MT. You couldnt get the XT or touring with MT. Fast forward.. now no MT.. and not a giant fan of CVT.

Yeah, I hate sunroofs too. The one in my Escape leaked a ton of water inside the car, stained the headliner and the seat, and while it's fine if I drive it a lot, if it sits for a week or so it smells weird in there. I found out the drain tube on the drivers side is clogged, so I used some weed trimmer plastic thingy to try to clear out the clog, and it helped, but didn't completely resolve it, so I just pulled the fuse for the sunroof and siliconed it shut. Problem solved!

Have sunroofs on both cars in my sig. Neither have ever leaked, made noise, or caused any of the issues mentioned above.
Both cars are collectively over 40 years old.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Yep... I hate sunroofs, but the options I actually want seem to have that ridiculousness tacked on.

You also hate puppies and unicorns? Who doesn't like a sunroof open on a nice spring day?

Anyone over 6ft3, who wants to be able to drive a car without the top of their head on the roof.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Have sunroofs on both cars in my sig. Neither have ever leaked, made noise, or caused any of the issues mentioned above.
Both cars are collectively over 40 years old.
coffee2.gif

Neither my 04 titan nor my 06 lexus Rx400H have leaked a drop.

They live in the open in So Cal in the scorching sun all day every day.

Every one of my cars and trucks has a sunroof - nothing like an open roof in the mountains, or on a warm night through the desert because thats one of the few things left I can do in California...

UD

Last edited:
I've had cars with sunroofs from the 80's. None of them ever leaked.

Worrying about them leaking is about the same as worrying about power windows or locks not working. Just very rare these days but it can still happen. Just not something worth worrying about. Now if it's an option like an airmatic suspension where it can cost you 1k a corner, well, that'd be something worth worrying about. That's one of those things that's a wear item and it will eventually fail once the mileage goes up.

I never had a problem with a sunroof but I avoid getting them whenever possible; I haven't opened the one in my 2 Series since I bought it over three years ago- ditto for the X1 and Clubman. Plus, they add weight to the highest point of the car. Back in 1995 my salesperson and I had to fight with Munich to keep them from cutting a hole in the roof of the Club Sport- even though it was listed as an option. I'm looking at new cars now- thank heavens the M240i has a sunroof delete option while on the M2 a hole in the roof is an extra-cost option. And the option isn't even available on the Supra.

If you want to kepp it for years, avoid the sunroof. Its anotherpotential location for water ingress.

there are millions of manual vehicles available, go buy one and boycott the manufacturers that wont sell you what you want. Cash is king, and the customer is always right.

We had sunroofs and they didn't leak in a couple of Florida hurricanes,

I prefer no sunroof. I'm looking to buy a new car and the color combo I want mostly have the optional sunroof.

Correct me if I'm wrong... The sunroofs have a drain pipe to discharge the water in case they leak. So why are people worried about leaking sunroofs even though they have never had one leak.

The days of the poorly designed T-tops are long gone

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Correct me if I'm wrong... The sunroofs have a drain pipe to discharge the water in case they leak. So why are people worried about leaking sunroofs even though they have never had one leak.

Correct. People who complain about leaks probably park under trees which after a while, causes the drains to clog up from the debris they drop. Then the water has no place to go but inside.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Yep... I hate sunroofs, but the options I actually want seem to have that ridiculousness tacked on.

You also hate puppies and unicorns? Who doesn't like a sunroof open on a nice spring day?

Anyone over 6ft3, who wants to be able to drive a car without the top of their head on the roof.

Many sunroofs slide back over top of the roof these days so that isn't an issue anymore.

I remember when people praised imports and derided domestics, because imports had a few of the common things included in the price, but you had a choice of dozens of extra cost options on a domestic, that let you order one the way YOU wanted it.

So now you can't get one the way you want it. Welcome to the world of getting what was asked for.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I miss t-tops!! My two 300ZX,s t-tops never leaked at all.

Well the panorama roofs I think are nicer although I never had T-tops. The passengers in the back always liked it although it doesn't really do that much for the driver aside from the fact that they're usually larger than the regular sunroof.

My '04 Jetta sunroof would leak in weird ways. I did check the drain it was fine. But every couple of years the dome light would be full of water.

My wife hates sunroofs, and I only used mine once or twice in the spring. Maybe if the a/c died in my car I would use more often, but in general, I'd rather avoid altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back