New vehicle- change ff within 1k or go full OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies.

Just picked up a 2017 f150 with the naturally aspirated 3.5.

Conventional wisdom would dictate an early oil change, get the initial wear slag out of the motor. I have owned new (within the last 10 years) vehicles that the first oil drain looked like the finish on a bass boat. So I definitely see that there can be a benefit to an early change.

At the same time I understand that engines are built with tighter and tighter tolerances and a certain amount of assembly lube gets diluted into that ff, providing more ZDDP, Molly etc for the initial oci.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: igs
"We now encourage all owners to change their oil at 500 miles to remove possible contaminants created during the engine break-in process." - Monte Doran

Monte Doran is an engine builder? Tolerances, cleanliness, etc at a builder's shop, no matter how good, aren't a match for an OEM's. So this advice probably makes sense for his engines but have little relevance for a fresh-off-the-lot new car.

Originally Posted By: Trav
There is a huge discrepancy in owners manuals, In Germany and other Euro countries 1K (600mi) is still recommended for many vehicles, there are a number of reasons for this in the US non of which have anything to do with whats best for the engine. I change it at 500-600 miles.
Also I do an early change on the transmission and differential

Originally Posted By: Danh
"We now encourage all owners to change their oil at 500 miles to remove possible contaminants created during the engine break-in process." - Monte Doran

Monte Doran is an engine builder? Tolerances, cleanliness, etc at a builder's shop, no matter how good, aren't a match for an OEM's. So this advice probably makes sense for his engines but have little relevance for a fresh-off-the-lot new car.
Tolerances are the allowed deviations from the blueprint specs. FYI.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There is a huge discrepancy in owners manuals, In Germany and other Euro countries 1K (600mi) is still recommended for many vehicles, there are a number of reasons for this in the US non of which have anything to do with whats best for the engine. I change it at 500-600 miles.

Same here.

I never believed in early changes, but curiosity got me in the GTI, so I changed it out at 1400 miles. There was a good bit of metal shavings in the filter. Probably harmless, but I'm not taking chances anymore. Early FF dumping for me.

LOL no, Monte Doran works for General Motors, you know, an OEM that sells fresh-off-the-lot new cars.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
There's a reason they recommend so many miles on the factory fill. I would do the whole recommended OCI and then I would do an OCI based on what's gonna keep my warranty.
agree 100%

Originally Posted By: CT8

The same here CT8.

63 Valiant with newly installed rebuilt engine 600 miles and out. 99 & O5 Cavalier and ION between 1000 and 1300 miles and trans fluid at 50,000 on both. Coolant changes early as well.

I would treat any car the same way, from a Mirage to a Lexus.

I'll just pose a few questions:

Does it void the warranty to change the FF early?

Does leaving the FF in to the full OCI stand a chance of causing wear that is just as likely, or more likely, to show up after the powertrain warranty expires?

Motor oil has additives that adhere to the surface of the metals, and are consumed as they do their job. Are these additives present on the wear surfaces of components in a brand new engine, or do the additives in the oil/assy. lube have to establish that layer thus depleting the amount of said additive available to maintain protection the rest of the OCI?

Ditto, Trav.

Follow the manual. Changing early is just a placebo affect nonsense and people's "feelz" for the warm fuzzy. Surprised the "cheap insurance" crowd has not chimed in.

I always used to change oil and filter at around 1,000km on our new cars. Based on my recent experiences, it was a waste of time and money.

I ran the Outlander to 15,000km on the factory fill, per the manual. It's now at 30,000km, and about to have its second service. Running beautifully, no oil consumption.

My Falcon was a company car for the first 100,000km of its life. Service records show it had pretty patchy maintenance. First oil and filter was at 17,000km. From then on, OCI's were anywhere from 15,000km to 30,000km, on dealer bulk oil. Now at 123,000km, it runs like a champ, zero oil consumption.

So, while an early oil change won't hurt a new engine, I think it's completely unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Follow the manual. Changing early is just a placebo affect nonsense and people's "feelz" for the warm fuzzy. Surprised the "cheap insurance" crowd has not chimed in.

Yep! +100%

LOL no, Monte Doran works for General Motors, you know, an OEM that sells fresh-off-the-lot new cars.

If so, he sure doesn't have much influence on what GM recommends to its owners. The only early OCI recommendation from GM is for dry-sump engines that represent a miniscule part of GM's output. So again, no relevance to typical new cars.

I used to be on the side of changing the oil out early for factory fill but not anymore. We BITOG'ers make up very small market share in the car business. If factory fill was so bad and doing harm to the cars then we certainly would have heard about it. Keep the oil in and worry about something more important in life.

Originally Posted By: Delta
There was a good bit of metal shavings in the filter. Probably harmless, but I'm not taking chances anymore.
Large, visible, particles would likely settle in the pan if not caught in the filter. The stuff that the filter catches which you cannot see, smaller than 40 "micron", is what causes wear. Only an oil analysis including particulate counts will answer if the filter is doing its job.

Originally Posted By: deven
I used to be on the side of changing the oil out early for factory fill but not anymore. We BITOG'ers make up very small market share in the car business. If factory fill was so bad and doing harm to the cars then we certainly would have heard about it. Keep the oil in and worry about something more important in life.

What Blasphemy on this forum!
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back