New tool thread

I love the Ernst rails!
Wanted some socket rails for the new sockets I bought. I liked the Magrails by VIM Tools, but each one costs more than the socket set that would be on it lol. Went with these by Ernst Manufacturing.

IMG_1537.JPG

Wanted some socket rails for the new sockets I bought. I liked the Magrails by VIM Tools, but each one costs more than the socket set that would be on it lol.
I love VIM magrails - but totally agree that they’re painfully expensive. But for those of us who wish to maximize storage for a given footprint, they’re a godsend. Plus for tool boxes and carts that move around, they do not move at all!

Last edited:
Inflator.jpg

Picked up this Milton Digital Inflation brand new sealed in package for 1/2 of retail price from marketplace.
I've been wanting a high quality digital inflator for years.

I'd like to replace the chuck with a lock on style, thinking about the Locknflate but the price is steep($70CAD) which is more than I paid for the inflator. Is their a lower price option that actually works well?

View attachment 217998

Picked up this Milton Digital Inflation brand new sealed in package for 1/2 of retail price from marketplace.
I've been wanting a high quality digital inflator for years.

I'd like to replace the chuck with a lock on style, thinking about the Locknflate but the price is steep($70CAD) which is more than I paid for the inflator. Is their a lower price option that actually works well?
No. The Locknflate is pretty nice, especially if you habitually need to check 8 tires at a time (vehicle+trailer). I tried a cheapo and it barely worked.

Nicholson 21474U Universal Handle​

This is basically just a file handle but it's handier than I had anticipated. I've used it as intended and to hold a jigsaw blade in a tight space and I even held a Q-tip while cleaning a carburetor. For ten bucks from Amazon I will be getting a couple more.
1715089722172.jpg

1715089757756.jpg

Last edited:
I occasionally have a need for 1/4" sockets in 12pt, and I don't have any, so ordered the Capri set w socket holder. I like that it runs all the way up through 15mm. Also a brand new Klein DMM from pawn for $35:
20240510_154408.jpg

If I had a complaint with Capri it would be that they tried too hard with their font. My brain initially says these are sevens, not ones:
20240510_154001.jpg

I occasionally have a need for 1/4" sockets in 12pt, and I don't have any, so ordered the Capri set w socket holder. I like that it runs all the way up through 15mm. Also a brand new Klein DMM from pawn for $35:
View attachment 218721
If I had a complaint with Capri it would be that they tried too hard with their font. My brain initially says these are sevens, not ones:View attachment 218722
Random question D60, that Westling socket holder, any reason it wouldn't hold a set of 1/4 swivels and a set of 1/4 magnetic sockets? I want one for that reason but they have a specific tray for swivels and I have no idea what the difference could be?

Here is the regular 1/4 metric
reg metric.jpg

And here is the "swivel" tray:
Swivel tray.jpg

I'd like to just get the regular metric tray and use it for a set of swivels and a set of magnetics since it has the number markings but I have no idea why they would have a specific tray for the swivels?

I sent them a email but they never replied.

Random question D60, that Westling socket holder, any reason it wouldn't hold a set of 1/4 swivels and a set of 1/4 magnetic sockets? I want one for that reason but they have a specific tray for swivels and I have no idea what the difference could be?

View attachment 218747

View attachment 218748

I'd like to just get the regular metric tray and use it for a set of swivels and a set of magnetics since it has the number markings but I have no idea why they would have a specific tray for the swivels?

Hmm, I honestly don't know. I don't own any 1/4" swivels so I can't try it.

View attachment 218747

View attachment 218748

Maybe it's my lack of personal experience but the swivel tray looks narrower top to bottom and the pegs look smaller and taller.

On the left, new Easco 30mm chrome socket in 1/2" dr
20240513_150859.jpg

I recently did a carrier bearing on an '08 Tundra and was wishing for this. I had to use the 3/4" dr on the right, and it was almost too large on OD -- note top of socket on right where it's almost been turned down.

The 1/2" dr is 1.540" while the 3/4" is 1.610" OD

Back