New tool thread

New to me Ammco model 4000, Looks like hell but the spindle is straight as an arrow & it cross feeds smooth in high & low ranges.

Not a totally necessary tool, I have a FMC brake lathe in my storage building that I never used which is due in part to the fact it's not an Ammco.

It will be used to turn 2wd Super Duty front rotors mainly.

ugu5e9W.jpeg

When this came out I thought it was an overpriced gimmick.

Then I got one of my Milwaukee 3/8 electric ratchets wet, and it still works perfect, but if I leave the battery in, power off for more than about 10s, it won’t work. I then have to pull out the battery, reinsert, and it works fine again. Not so great when under a car on my back, working slow. But first world problems, I know…

The old style Milwaukee I bought has gone up like 70%. Meanwhile I also realized I need a long neck and a 1/4 drive ratchet. And summit had a coupon. So…

IMG_6086.jpeg
IMG_6087.jpeg

I’m going to do the timing belt on our Odyssey, and I figured the savings pays for the new (toy) tool.

Last edited:
Bought a Teng Tools 1/2" drive metric 6 point socket set about a month ago. Used them a couple of times since then and really liked them. I have all the sockets I need, but in 12 point. My 6 point sets at home were lacking and Teng has a 15% off sale going on this month so..
The 1/2 drive set is now joined by some 6 point 3/8's and a 1/4 drive sets. They came in those plastic boxes except for the metric shallow set, it's on a rail. Not complaining though, it was $34.

20240412_153448.jpg

20240412_160020.jpg

nostands.jpg

Am looking for new jack stands and was given these NOS (new old stands).

One pair is obviously automotive type, rated for "3000 lb static load" from Monkey Ward (!) and made in USA. The metal isn't particularly thick, and the trusses at the bottom only have two small pin/tack welds attaching them to the legs. But they are the pin- and not ratcheting-type

The other appears to be a trailer stand of some kind, rated for 4000 lbs. But not "proper" automotive stands, and I have thoughts of Al fatigue.

I like the fact that both have flat tops, but not sure if I would trust them for anything more than secondary, or supplemental duty.

Any thoughts?

There are few options on the market with flat, or mostly flat tops; I don't own a vehicle with a live axle, or jack up using anything other than jack points, so accommodating pinch welds isn't really a factor in my book, making most of them less than optimal.

That leaves the Esco stands as the obvious candidates, but they sure do have some ugly welds for that kind of pricing. And I'm not sure about the conflict between what the web page says ["3 Ton (Each Stand)"] and what the manual says in terms of capacity rating ["3 Tons (Per Pair)"].

The HF knockoffs actually appear more nicely manufactured, and the knock of them was the lower rating, but they also say "3 Tons" across a pair.

Going by what the manuals say, that would make them equally rated, negating the supposed advantage of the Esco stands.

They all probably come out of the same two or three Chinese factories anyway.

:unsure:

A second inexpensive import boot for my other Milwaukee 2854

Tsunoda pliers in both straight and angled as a result of this thread

A/C clutch holder

Four no-name punches from pawn. They were free with:

Mountain Ford plug repair kit. I gave $80 for this kit and have no idea if that was a good deal. There are more Tritons in my life than I'd prefer, and I like to be prepared. It came with a tiny DVD that I'm pretty sure I have no way to watch LOL. I'm guessing the kit is just rebadged as Mountain manufacturers basically nothing AFAIK
20240413_233202.jpg

Bought some more made-in-USA 1/8" drill bits from Amazon, for only $1.29/dozen.
These bits are different from the "bright" 118deg bits I linked to in an earlier post. These have black and gold surface treatment, have 135deg split-point, and have a higher helix angle.

DSC02124.JPG

Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 10.38.35 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Bought some more made-in-USA 1/8" drill bits from Amazon, for only $1.29/dozen.
These bits are different from the "bright" 118deg bits I linked to in an earlier post. These have black and gold surface treatment, have 135deg split-point, and have a higher helix angle.

View attachment 214220

View attachment 214221
Yesterday they were showing .99/pack for me under the buy-it-again thing. I already ordered three dozen and my drill dispenser drawer is full.

edit: yep ASIN B00J9HKU64 presently $0.99

Last edited:
Estwing DFH24 hammer. $10 at pawn

I like the weight and "feel" of a regular ball pein but the soft faces. No idea if it's great but I think hammer varieties are like pullers: you can never have too many options as each situation is different
20240414_135542.jpg

View attachment 214066

Am looking for new jack stands and was given these NOS (new old stands).

One pair is obviously automotive type, rated for "3000 lb static load" from Monkey Ward (!) and made in USA. The metal isn't particularly thick, and the trusses at the bottom only have two small pin/tack welds attaching them to the legs. But they are the pin- and not ratcheting-type

The other appears to be a trailer stand of some kind, rated for 4000 lbs. But not "proper" automotive stands, and I have thoughts of Al fatigue.

I like the fact that both have flat tops, but not sure if I would trust them for anything more than secondary, or supplemental duty.

Any thoughts?

There are few options on the market with flat, or mostly flat tops; I don't own a vehicle with a live axle, or jack up using anything other than jack points, so accommodating pinch welds isn't really a factor in my book, making most of them less than optimal.

That leaves the Esco stands as the obvious candidates, but they sure do have some ugly welds for that kind of pricing. And I'm not sure about the conflict between what the web page says ["3 Ton (Each Stand)"] and what the manual says in terms of capacity rating ["3 Tons (Per Pair)"].

The HF knockoffs actually appear more nicely manufactured, and the knock of them was the lower rating, but they also say "3 Tons" across a pair.

Going by what the manuals say, that would make them equally rated, negating the supposed advantage of the Esco stands.

They all probably come out of the same two or three Chinese factories anyway.

:unsure:
The red stand, made in USA or not, looks really crappy. Probably not a good idea to use either ones. 'Monkey Ward' most likely is Montgomery Ward, they used to sell tools decades ago, not sure if that company is still around.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
The red stand, made in USA or not, looks really crappy. Probably not a good idea to use either ones. 'Monkey Ward' most likely is Montgomery Ward, they used to sell tools decades ago, not sure if that company is still around.

Yeah, I looked further into them and there were tales of the red ones folding, probably not unlike those metal ramps that have no truss supports.

The MW chain folded in ~2000, but the name is still in use by an online retailer. I remember the "Moonlight" sales they had when they used to drag a searchlight in front of the store and light it up.

I'm leaning toward trying the HF knockoff Esco tripods next time there is some sort of sale. Upon examination, they seem pretty solidly built. But I still would like to see the Escos in person, or have some intrepid YTber test the HFs or compare the two. They've been on the market for more than a year, but nobody has torture tested them yet.

50D182B1-5E8E-4283-A0A9-6FC4A47FFA87.jpg
Got this scan tool today from my parents when I got home. It’s an early birthday present. My birthday is Tuesday so one week from today. Really excited to use this. The reason I got it early is because my friend called and said she was stranded at work her car cut the check engine light on and cut off right away so I have to go diagnose it. I had a small code reader but that was it.

IMG_8521.jpeg

I like it.

Back