New tool thread

No problem at all with the redline air tool oil. Mayhew, Grey Pneumatic, Astro, Ajax are all decent bits. If made in USA is a priority look at Ajax also, they make high quality bits. I have their tie rod and ball joint separators, good stuff and not crazy money.

This is a good deal at Amazon.

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 5.19.54 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3 pc pry bar set from HD, $30

I wanted some non-reversible flex head ratcheting wrenches. I had previously ordered Duratech from Amazon, but after the 17mm inexplicably failed hanging on the wall and warranty was sketchy, I gave the set to a broke friend. I don't intend to use them often so I thought inexpensive would be ok, but didn't trust them after this.

After doing way too much research, I decided I really wanted 90T even though I realize it's arguably not much better than 72T. Carlyle offers 'em but they're 6pt. No -- just no. The new 12pts from Tekton almost got my $, but they're still 72T

I tend to dislike GW anything (most of it is overrated IMO), but their newer 90T ratcheting wrenches sounded promising. Reviews were quite positive despite China COO. So far, I'm impressed -- although I haven't actually used them. Backdrag is very low and the thicker beams really do feel good.

Circle C had the best price at ~$162, which IMO is still a pretty penny for Chinese wrenches that only run 8-19mm (Tekton offers more comprehensive sets that can start at 6 and end at 22) but if they work, they're arguably worth it.

Finally, lower right is one of the gimmicky mini "toe jacks" that's supposed to help spread slit collars and tubes, like front struts/knuckles on a KL Cherokee perhaps. I have low expectations but I think I paid ~$5 on AliExpress (gee, what could go wrong????)
20240121_180346.jpg

After doing way too much research, I decided I really wanted 90T even though I realize it's arguably not much better than 72T. Carlyle offers 'em but they're 6pt. No -- just no. The new 12pts from Tekton almost got my $, but they're still 72T
I do not like 6 point box end on combo wrenches, but I have found the 6 point box end on the 90T Carlyle ratcheting to be fine.

I do not like 6 point box end on combo wrenches, but I have found the 6 point box end on the 90T Carlyle ratcheting to be fine.
I have the 6pt Tektons at a mill for setup (toe clamps, 1-2-3's etc) and while they work, they annoy me a bit.

What started this -- awhile back -- was the CHT sensor on Ford 3V's. You can get it with the plenum on, but it's pretty much gotta be a flex head ratcheting wrench. And because of the weird valley, I discovered my Williams reversibles had a head that was too long to accommodate the reversing lever itself.

Anyway, I don't wanna be trying to slip under a plenum and slide a 6pt wrench onto a sensor blind. And yeah, that's only ONE size, but of course I want a full set -- me being me. Doesn't necessarily make sense.

I also seriously considered Milwaukee's "144 position" wrenches, but like all Milwaukee mechanics' tools they're obscenely priced and I just don't trust Milwaukee to build mechanics' tools (and I'm an M12/M18 fan boi)

All rambling aside, I'm glad to hear the Carlyles are nice if one is ok with 6pt!

Bauer 5 speed drill press with a decent coupon.
Dewalt DCS377 Band Saw.
Delta 4 inch drill press vice (not pictured)
I need to make a 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch block off plate for a fuel cutoff solenoid on top of the red box. The new Kubota engine I am working on will instead use the old engine's "lever" style fuel cutoff solenoid. I could have bought a chinese solenoid and lopped off the rod. I could have cut that bar to shape with a cut off wheel, or another tool, but the Band Saw and drill press are investments and now I can do better precision cuts that will also support my future hobby interest delving into welding.

1706039959569.png

If new the battery should absolutely fully charge? What's the problem exactly? You're not getting all 4 bars to illuminate? Does the charger eventually switch from red to green?
Actually, after a couple of days, it finally came up to Green and remains there quite easily. 🤷‍♂️

Back