new-to-us '15 CRV with CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just picked up the '15 cr-v for my wife - 18,000 miles on it, and it looks showroom new. I haven't really spent much time with it - she's driving it while I'm prepping the mdx to sell. From the little time I've had with it, I'm impressed with it and I actually like the CVT.

The car advertises simplicity in controls and feel. Cockpit and engine bay are equally well laid out. Radio volume is push button, the only negative I saw. Ergonomics are typical honda, though the telescoping wheel is very nice. EPS boosts heavily for slow maneuvers but moves to stiff/heavy at cruising speed. It feels fun and nimble yet planted at cruise. The weighting difference is very stark - You can't limp-wrist the wheel with your elbow on the door.

The big surprise for me is the CVT. It is innocuous and you don't realize it's there. If you drive aggressively, it shifts like a geared transmission. but if you're just loafing around, it keeps the engine revs low and slow, and quiet. Whatever tuning they have between the pedal, the CVT, and the throttle plate, gives the sensation of a much bigger engine. It feels like there's some torque down there. And, with the engine revs held down, the vehicle feels very relaxed. There are some thoughtful touches too - if you are coasting downhill and the A/C compressor engages, it will gently bump engine rpm up to spin the pump, then let it settle back down when the pump disengages. you feel the drag, but it was only noticeable on steeper descents. I also like that it feels surprisingly direct. It feels like there's a hydraulic TC that allows idle and off-the line, which locks up as soon as you're rolling. beyond that, it feels oddly locked in, not like a slushbox. In other words, it obviously fiddles with the gear ratios as it wants, but it still feels direct, not slushy - not unlike riding a 21+ speed bike.

All of this has yielded a huge whopping mpg increase over the mdx, for what amounts to a very, very close comparison of interior space for two rows of seats. (The trunks may be similar in volume but are shaped differently). It averaged 24-25 mpg in town this weekend, where the mdx tends to average 14.5 in town on premium. Granted, they are not in the same league - MDX is older luxury, has AWD and a some sort of a tow rating, but for practical everyday use one doesn't tow with either of these and the CRV has electronic traction control which the X does not.

Only negative is road noise - honda has never favored heavily insulated cockpits, and this vehicle is typical honda in that regard. It's not invasive in-town.

Happy for my wife - she did good.
smile.gif

-Meep

Great assessment. I agree.
The Honda and Mitsubishi cvt's never bothered me and I prefer them here in the hilly country.

The only cvt I ever drove was in the rx, and it feels like there is no tranny, just the tc. I like it.

Nice write up!

Make sure you have the CVT refreshed with new fluid every other oil change and look in the owner's manual to make sure you get the correct fluid. Honda sells CVT and HCF-2, and don't trust the parts counter guy to know which one is right for you.

It's easy to change, just pull the drain plug, you'll get about 3.75 qts out. Then put 4 qts in and use the fill plug to drain the overage. Remember to warm up the trans first before checking the final level, according to Honda you need to run it through each shift position for at least 1 min.

Congrates on the honda, but as ive seen with my rogue, that's not very good fuel mileage for a 3500lb vehicle with a 4 cylinder and 2wd.

My wife gets over 31 around town in the Subaru, which is a decent car with one big flaw - a punishing ride on the base version. And I don't mean just a little stiff - its NASTY. Our older, previous ej with Subaru version of "vtec" did over 31 also.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Nice write up!

Make sure you have the CVT refreshed with new fluid every other oil change and look in the owner's manual to make sure you get the correct fluid. Honda sells CVT and HCF-2, and don't trust the parts counter guy to know which one is right for you.

It's easy to change, just pull the drain plug, you'll get about 3.75 qts out. Then put 4 qts in and use the fill plug to drain the overage. Remember to warm up the trans first before checking the final level, according to Honda you need to run it through each shift position for at least 1 min.
why over service the cvt fluid? Just curious as I am about to request a pan dump on my rogue, only BC I see "mud" on the dipstick - which I assume is metal belt and pulley wear in junk. Nissan (like Toyota) always refused to do early service for "no" reason.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Congrates on the honda, but as ive seen with my rogue, that's not very good fuel mileage for a 3500lb vehicle with a 4 cylinder and 2wd.

My wife gets over 31 around town in the Subaru, which is a decent car with one big flaw - a punishing ride on the base version. And I don't mean just a little stiff - its NASTY. Our older, previous ej with Subaru version of "vtec" did over 31 also.

I think it's rated 27/34, but 2 days of "new car" driving and idling probably isn't enough data to really go on. if we get anything close to 27 in town I'll be extremely pleased.

We have a 2015 CRV and echo your comments.

We regularly make a 400 mile trip (3/4 Interstate, 1/4 two lane highway) and have always averaged between 32 and 34 mpg, which I think is terrific for a vehicle this size.

Given the early trade-in of your CRV be aware that much of the 2015 model year as-delivered had an idle and low speed vibration issue that bothered a lot of owners. Honda has a fix for this that involves new motor and radiator mounts and reprogramming the ECU to lock-up the torque converter at a higher speed. This fix is free and effective, so if you have these symptoms take it to a Honda dealer.

Our only complaint with the CRV is that the first UOA showed it nearly sheared its Mobil1 0w-20 out-of-grade after 2,000 miles. I'm hoping this was a aberration or lab error and have another UOA sample on its way.

The harsh ride is in regards to your 2015 Forester? I'm surprised at that because my 2016 base model (with a few options like aluminum wheels) rides soft and cushy.

..why over service the cvt fluid? Just curious as I am about to request a pan dump on my rogue, only BC I see "mud" on the dipstick - which I assume is metal belt and pulley wear in junk. Nissan (like Toyota) always refused to do early service for "no" reason.

I didn't realize Nissan included dipsticks on some of their CVTs. That's awesome.

Nice write up!

why over service the cvt fluid? Just curious as I am about to request a pan dump on my rogue, only BC I see "mud" on the dipstick - which I assume is metal belt and pulley wear in junk. Nissan (like Toyota) always refused to do early service for "no" reason.

Because with the CVT's the trick is to keep the gunk from building up at all. My neighbor is the head mechanic at a local Honda dealer, and that's what he does to his cars, and recommends to good neighbors like me. It's cheap insurance, $25 every other oil-change, or a new tranny...your call.

Nice write up!

Because with the CVT's the trick is to keep the gunk from building up at all. My neighbor is the head mechanic at a local Honda dealer, and that's what he does to his cars, and recommends to good neighbors like me. It's cheap insurance, $25 every other oil-change, or a new tranny...your call.

Changing the CVT fluid is $25? I think Subaru charges something like $400.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Nice write up!

Changing the CVT fluid is $25? I think Subaru charges something like $400.

My Honda dealer has an $ 89.95 special for this service. Not bad, but not cheap either. The drain and fill procedure for the CVT is different, space is not abundant and the car must be elevated and level. So probably not a DIY project for most.

Honda doesn't publish a maintenance interval even though the "Maintenance Minder" uses only mileage for this service. But I'm expecting this to be an every 30,000 mile event.

Sorry, I assumed you would be DIY'ing it. I've done it on my Civic and Accord in the driveway with jack stands. Luckily I have a slight slope to my driveway so I can have the car "level" even though it's on jack stands. Most of the time though I use my neighbors lift.

Do CVT throw more gunk in to the oil than a traditional planetary and clutch and band?

Usually they put a filter in as big as texas to get you at least 75K.
I just don't want to OVERSERVICE. Its not cheap and it doesn't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back