New to me 2001 Ford Explorer Sport @ 108,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long story short: my very good friend wrecked her 2001 Subaru Forester and needed a car ASAP. She begged me to sell her my Rav4 (which I LOVE ). Considering she has had terrible luck with buying cars, I wanted to help her so I sold her my Toyota rav4. I changed the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, PCV, valve cover, oil and air filter a few days before she came to pick it up.
The Rav4 ran like a champ but I wanted it to be perfect for her for a long time to come.

Anyway,it left me in a predicament because I needed a winter ride quick. The Lexus is strictly a garage queen/summer car.

It seems no good deed goes unpunished and I had trouble finding anything, I ended up renting a car for a couple weeks (Yaris and Sonic) then I found a 1 owner 2001 Explorer Sport (2 door)4x4 fully optioned out.

It was in rough shape but pretty cheap. $2400 after a little haggling so I pulled the trigger and took a chance.
Turns out, it needed a wheel bearing hub assembly, door lock actuators, tie rods but shifted smooth and had every record of oil changes since new. He stated he did not change the ATF fluid.

Should I get it done? I bought spark plugs, new serpentine belt and a few other 100k tune up stuff but in general ATFs make me nervous !
(I always buy stick shift, even my Rav4 was a stick)

Should I buy Mercon V and change the fluid or let it go?

Later this week, I will be doing the shocks (Monroe sensa-trac is on sale at AAP) and door lock actuators.

Ford owners feel free to chime in... I've never owned an Explorer. So tips and help will be appreciated.

BTW I've already done the motor oil -Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N filter (AAP sale)

Thanks much to everyone !

Last edited:
I'm always Leary about changing tranny fluid in such a high mile vehicle. Personally I would drain a gallon at a time,and do it weekly so you can notice any performance or shifting anomalies.

Don't forget the filter

And if its true that new fluid will dislodge accumulated gunk then you may want to drop that pan more than once to check the filter.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Does the girl care about you as much as out care about her? What color is the atf? I would change it.

Former lovers but still very good friends, we are separated by 300 miles. NY->PA

I know it has NEVER been changed but some people say to NOT change ATF ever and just keep adding when needed.

I'm guessing its urban legend...but I want to be sure and hear from some Ford owner.
Again, I have NEVER owned an Auto tranny vehicle, so I'm a little clueless.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

I know it has NEVER been changed but some people say to NOT change ATF ever and just keep adding when needed.

I'm guessing its urban legend...but I want to be sure and hear from some Ford owner.
Again, I have NEVER owned an Auto tranny vehicle, so I'm a little clueless.

If it was never changed, don't do it now IMO.

Hello, not a Ford owner but an ASE mechanic. Your particular year Explorer has a sealed transmission which means you will have to take it to a Ford dealership or a reputable service center. The tranny flush requires the use of a special tool to open it up to get the fluid and to put it in. These transmissions are also known for slipping. Flushing the system and putting in fresh fluid could make problems present that aren't present at this time. Just an FYI. A flush will break loose any contamination and be flushed away. If there is a current problem with the trans. it will show up after a flush is performed as the trans. may rely on the contaminats to work without letting a problem be noticed or felt. Strange but true I've seen it before

Originally Posted By: Donnie79
Hello, not a Ford owner but an ASE mechanic. Your particular year Explorer has a sealed transmission which means you will have to take it to a Ford dealership or a reputable service center. The tranny flush requires the use of a special tool to open it up to get the fluid and to put it in. These transmissions are also known for slipping. Flushing the system and putting in fresh fluid could make problems present that aren't present at this time. Just an FYI. A flush will break loose any contamination and be flushed away. If there is a current problem with the trans. it will show up after a flush is performed as the trans. may rely on the contaminats to work without letting a problem be noticed or felt. Strange but true I've seen it before

so are you saying I should do nothing or just take it to my mechanic and have him do it properly?

Congrats on the new purchase! I love Explorer Sports and hope to own one again someday soon.

This year Sport should have a fully serviceable 5R55E automatic...dipstick, filter, and all. It's the 2002 and later four doors that had sealed transmissions.

I would highly recommend changing the fluid. If the trans isn't having any problems, a fluid change shouldn't cause any. Get a full change done with Mercon V. Ford only advises changing the fluid, not the filter, but you can get a filter kit for them and it's not expensive. Since the fluid has never been changed, replacing the filter too may be a good idea.

I changed the fluid for the first time in my 1995 Explorer Sport's 4R55E at 150K miles. The previous owner said the transmission had never been touched. It shifted perfect before, after, and when I sold it. Never bothered with the filter on it. I bought mine for $950, so I am sure it was rougher than yours.

The big Achilles heel of this generation of Explorer is rust. Mine came from PA as well, and rust had eaten the rockers and lots of other odds and ends underneath it. The frame was still great front to back, but everything attached to it was turning to dust. That's why I eventually got rid of it. I hated to see it go, especially with a strong engine and trans, but mitigating the rust proved to be too much of an undertaking for me at the time. Any Explorers I buy from here on out will come from the South.

Other than rust though, most of the issues with these are just odds and ends. There was a timing chain noise issue with the SOHC 4.0s that Ford had a recall for, but if it's not making noise now at 12 years old, it probably won't or has already had the revised parts installed. Test the 4WD and make sure the shift motor engages all modes. If not, no big deal. Replacements are all over eBay and aren't very expensive. Mine never failed, but some do.

The '01-'03s are all over Birmingham and most are not very well cared for, but they keep going. There is only one in Pull-A-Part, and it was a BAD wreck. One of my neighbors has one that's dirty as [censored] and filled with junk, but they drive it all the time. Another neighbor has a 1995 with an inch of dust on the dash and totally bald tires, but it still gets driven regularly too. I'd actually be tempted to make an offer on it if it had 4WD since it is totally rust free. I'm betting both of these are lucky if they see one oil change a year.

Again, congrats. I want another one of these more than just about anything else without a pickup bed. A local dealer has a pristine 1994 manual with 66K miles on it that I have been drooling over, but they want $6K for the [censored] thing. $6K for a '94 Explorer 2WD is a tough pill to swallow no matter how much I like them.

BTW, for reference, a local dealer is selling a 2000 Sport 2WD with the "high series" console (goes up to the dash), cloth seats, auto, and 186K miles for $2950.

There's an '01 2WD with 153K miles for $6K, base interior.

I think you did pretty good. Cash 4 Clunkers jacked the prices up on these big time.

One raggedy looking '01 is listed for $2350 with 169K miles. Again, 2WD, but otherwise well equipped with leather seats. The only problem is "a dent in the gas tank." [censored]?

I wish we had some rust fee 4WDs down here. 2WDs are all over the place.

Change the fluid. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a fluid change to damage a transmission. And this truck does NOT have a sealed transmission. It does not require any special tools.

Thanks for all the knowledge !

You would be surprised to learn that this Explorer has very little rust -EXCEPT- its a black explorer and apparently Ford had some issues with the black paint not adhering properly. So its all surface rust, pealing and spider webbed like crazy BUT ZERO RUST HOLES, even the dog leg is rot free and underneath is surprisingly clean. When I bought it, I budgeted for a new paint job.

4x4 engages smooth as silk- and the leather interior is very nice (even the driver seat)
The center console's vinyl is ripped but I have a 20x 30 patch of grey lambskin leather to reupholster it. Will be a fun project.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Congrats on the new purchase! I love Explorer Sports and hope to own one again someday soon.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will !

This year Sport should have a fully serviceable 5R55E automatic...dipstick, filter, and all. It's the 2002 and later four doors that had sealed transmissions.

I would highly recommend changing the fluid. If the trans isn't having any problems, a fluid change shouldn't cause any. Get a full change done with Mercon V. Ford only advises changing the fluid, not the filter, but you can get a filter kit for them and it's not expensive. Since the fluid has never been changed, replacing the filter too may be a good idea.

I changed the fluid for the first time in my 1995 Explorer Sport's 4R55E at 150K miles. The previous owner said the transmission had never been touched. It shifted perfect before, after, and when I sold it. Never bothered with the filter on it. I bought mine for $950, so I am sure it was rougher than yours.

The big Achilles heel of this generation of Explorer is rust. Mine came from PA as well, and rust had eaten the rockers and lots of other odds and ends underneath it. The frame was still great front to back, but everything attached to it was turning to dust. That's why I eventually got rid of it. I hated to see it go, especially with a strong engine and trans, but mitigating the rust proved to be too much of an undertaking for me at the time. Any Explorers I buy from here on out will come from the South.

Other than rust though, most of the issues with these are just odds and ends. There was a timing chain noise issue with the SOHC 4.0s that Ford had a recall for, but if it's not making noise now at 12 years old, it probably won't or has already had the revised parts installed. Test the 4WD and make sure the shift motor engages all modes. If not, no big deal. Replacements are all over eBay and aren't very expensive. Mine never failed, but some do.

The '01-'03s are all over Birmingham and most are not very well cared for, but they keep going. There is only one in Pull-A-Part, and it was a BAD wreck. One of my neighbors has one that's dirty as [censored] and filled with junk, but they drive it all the time. Another neighbor has a 1995 with an inch of dust on the dash and totally bald tires, but it still gets driven regularly too. I'd actually be tempted to make an offer on it if it had 4WD since it is totally rust free. I'm betting both of these are lucky if they see one oil change a year.

Again, congrats. I want another one of these more than just about anything else without a pickup bed. A local dealer has a pristine 1994 manual with 66K miles on it that I have been drooling over, but they want $6K for the [censored] thing. $6K for a '94 Explorer 2WD is a tough pill to swallow no matter how much I like them.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Change the fluid. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a fluid change to damage a transmission. And this truck does NOT have a sealed transmission. It does not require any special tools.

Ford has used this style of transmissions for a number of years. A majority of them do have the sealed trans. and yes they do need a special tool to do fluid exchanges. I am a 10 year ASE certified mechanic and had to buy 1 of these tools from Ford

Originally Posted By: Donnie79
Originally Posted By: exranger06

Ford has used this style of transmissions for a number of years. A majority of them do have the sealed trans. and yes they do need a special tool to do fluid exchanges. I am a 10 year ASE certified mechanic and had to buy 1 of these tools from Ford

The 2nd generation Explorer (1995-2001) has the 5r55e transmission, same one that's in my Ranger. They are NOT sealed transmissions and they have dipsticks, and they do NOT require any special tools.

The 02+ Explorers on the other hand, use the 5r55w and I believe the 5r55n transmissions, which despite their similar name, having nothing in common with the 5r55e. Those transmissions ARE sealed and DO require a special tool. But like I said, the OP's truck is not one of them.

I would change the trans fluid a little at a time just to be safe. A few drain and fills until the fluid looks clean on the dipstick should do it. Those 4.0L V6 engines are reliable. My buddy sold his 2001 Ranger with the SOHC 4.0 V6 last year with over 200k miles. It ran perfect and he used the cheapest conventional oil on sale. The only things he replaced on that truck were headlight bulbs, brakes, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, battery, tires, and alternator the whole time he owned it. He would routinely take it on an 8 hour drive up north every month without a problem. They also aren't that hard to work on, and parts are easy to find.
thumbsup2.gif

Guess I sold my 2000 Sport too cheap(actually was the daughters and SIL, they'd bought a new vehicle)...

Rust free, paint very good plus, almost perfect interior, white letter tires with less than 10K mi, 118K mi, $2400... No wonder it sold before the day was out... Still we're happy, could have used belts & hoses, trans service, plugs & wires, plus the battery was in it when they bought it in '05...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back