New to Briggs & Stratton engines and was wondering...

TBH, a Briggs flathead engine is as “crude” as can be compared to a Honda GXV/GCV or the Chinesium Kohler Courage/Subaru/Chondas out there but they are near indestructible outside of neglect. Rumor has it Harley’s first engine was based off a Briggs design.

A pint of oil will do you good, Briggs wanted 30W due to VII shear and deposit build-up but they say a 5W-30 synthetic is fine. I just run a 10W-30 or 15W-40 HDEO in small engines, they honestly don’t care what oil is in them - as long as it’s full and changed every 10 hours.

Thanks for replies, everyone. For those who asked, the engine is a #093J02-0167-F1.

I agree that the "never having to change the oil" in my engine sounds like marketing. I understand, though, that these engines are thoroughly engineered and with modern oil such an engine could last for a very long time on the original oil. Call me old-fashioned, but it just makes me feel better to change the oil.

I realize that absolute precision is probably not required for an oil change on this engine. It surprises me, though, that Briggs & Stratton don't appear to have a specific fill amount despite strongly stating that you should NOT overfill the oil. The dipstick "okay" range looks like it covers maybe an ounce; such a small range isn't a loose tolerance for over/underfilling.

I'm currently "creeping up" on the full line by adding a little oil over time (easier than draining an overfill). I enjoy tinkering, so taking my time with this is no big deal for me.

EDIT: I managed to find an oil capacity spec of 15oz for the 093J00 engine. At this stage, it looks like the I'll hit the dipstick "full" line (on level ground, of course) well before that amount. I assume this engine will foam/blow seals if overfilled, so I'll let you guys know what amount goes in.

Last edited:
EDIT: I managed to find an oil capacity spec of 15oz for the 093J00 engine. At this stage, it looks like the I'll hit the dipstick "full" line (on level ground, of course) well before that amount. I assume this engine will foam/blow seals if overfilled, so I'll let you guys know what amount goes in.
Mostly overfilling it will just cause it to burn more oil, I picked up a mower with one of these style of engines on it that was smoking, When I dumped the oil out it pretty much filled a large McDonald's cup, after replacing the oil with an appropriate amount it now works fine, I still use it.

Overfilling causes oil to come out of the crankcase breather, which leads to the air filter box. Oil on the air filter prevents airflow and the engine will bog down. For the same reason (and that all the gas will run out of the tank through the carbuertor) never lay the mower on its side with the air filter down. It is OK to tip it to the other side.

I always thought you tightened the dipstick? Nice that there always consistent. /sarc

View attachment 148588
My boss bought the newest Briggs and Stratton today. The cap has two tabs and locks in with a quarter turn. locked or unlocked makes no difference if it's fully seated.

Attachments

• IMG20230405135953.jpg
    IMG20230405135953.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 14
Back