New to Briggs & Stratton engines and was wondering...

I admit to being specs-obsessed and couldn't find any answers online...

Although my year-old Toro Personal Pace mower is advertised as "never needing an oil change", I'm changing the oil for the new season. If I recall, the engine (093J00 series) only took about 12oz of SAE30 (the Toro recommended weight) to reach the fill line on the stick (not the full 18oz from the bottle).

I can't find any fill/refill specs on this engine - does ~12oz sound correct? Thanks for any help/suggestions...

16 oz or half a quart. If the dipstick is on the threaded cap, check it without twisting the cap in. Otherwise, the oil will show too high on the stick and you will likely end up running it low.

Edit - Can't get the link to work from my phone. 093J00 series takes 15 ounces.

Last edited:
I only understand small engines as a home owner, not the way a small engine repair person does.

B&S :poop:?
And how long(or short) will the engine last if you never changed the oil and just added?
Is there some new small engine technology that Briggs & Stratton created?

I only understand small engines as a home owner, not the way a small engine repair person does.

B&S :poop:?
And how long(or short) will the engine last if you never changed the oil and just added?
Is there some new small engine technology that Briggs & Stratton created?
The manufacturer's plan is for the engine to make it past the warranty period. No new technology, just a sales gimmick for those who never maintain their engines.

The manufacturer's plan is for the engine to make it past the warranty period. No new technology, just a sales gimmick for those who never maintain their engines.
This.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if more owners actually checked their oil from this dumb marketing. I've worked on 15+ year old mowers that had the original oil in them. The owners just added some when low, or when they remembered. I've had riding mowers come in with seized engines, and when I ask about engine oil I get a blank stare, and many of those machines were 10+ years old.

When I was a kid, my father had a late 1980s Murray 20" push mower with a 4.5hp Tecumseh. It was the cheapest mower he could find when he first bought their house, and he used it to mow 1.5 acres. When I was 13 (2003) I had started tinkering with small engines, and figured I would do an oil change on the mower. That was the first time it had ever been changed. The mower lasted another 5 years before the wheels rusted off, engine still started first pull.

Internal wear and tear on these engines is not an issue. In regular use, some external part or the rest of the machine is going to fail first. Running out of oil or tampering with the governor to cause over-revving is the only thing that will damage the internals.

This.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if more owners actually checked their oil from this dumb marketing. I've worked on 15+ year old mowers that had the original oil in them. The owners just added some when low, or when they remembered. I've had riding mowers come in with seized engines, and when I ask about engine oil I get a blank stare, and many of those machines were 10+ years old.

When I was a kid, my father had a late 1980s Murray 20" push mower with a 4.5hp Tecumseh. It was the cheapest mower he could find when he first bought their house, and he used it to mow 1.5 acres. When I was 13 (2003) I had started tinkering with small engines, and figured I would do an oil change on the mower. That was the first time it had ever been changed. The mower lasted another 5 years before the wheels rusted off, engine still started first pull.
Yeah, I know several early adopters of the "never needs an oil change" in the 3-6HP range motors back in the 70s/80s, never knew one of those motors to fail either.

16 oz or half a quart. If the dipstick is on the threaded cap, check it without twisting the cap in. Otherwise, the oil will show too high on the stick and you will likely end up running it low.
I always thought you tightened the dipstick? Nice that there always consistent. /sarc

1680615958352.jpg

Back