New SUV thoughts and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/h...=CAD-07-10aba1c

I love my 4Runner and if you buy the Limited model, you can really gussy it up, but most of that added stuff can sometimes be failure-prone. It's all really screwed together well and is made in Japan. Check out the Land Cruiser. The Audi Q7 is also on this list.

Legendary reliability, off road prowess and a luxurious interior make the 4Runner my next choice in vehicles.

OP, you didn't say if you will be off the road, if you need a performance on the road or reliability, just that you wanted foreign made vehicle ... what qualities are you actually after?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
VW Atlas..

If the OP is looking for luxury, that plastic steering wheel might not go over with him so well, or is there an option for a leather steering wheel?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
VW Atlas..

If the OP is looking for luxury, that plastic steering wheel might not go over with him so well, or is there an option for a leather steering wheel?

That was a base elcheapo model.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm sorry, I may have missed something. In what world is a 4Runner luxurious?

I'm not going to say too much other than, hey, in that photo, the 4runner looks like it could be optioned out to be fairly comfortable and, almost near-luxurious if you will.

RooflessVW, How do you define luxury, as it relates to a motor vehicle?

With a name of Maximaguy, I woukd have figured Infiniti would be on your list? Lexus, Audi, then BMW. Skip the others.

I also have to ask how the OP defines "luxury"...?

Maybe I am too practical, but I value reliability over anything else by a huge margin. All I need to be happy is a reliable vehicle with good climate control, handling that inspires confidence, snow ability (I'm an "essential employee"), and cargo space. I can't remember the last time I used a stereo, I want nothing to do with touch screens or fancy technology, etc.

Anyhow...

To address some vehicles mentioned here, my wife has a 2008 MDX, her father has a 2012, and my brother is on his second Pilot (2016). I have driven all of them. I have an overall far superior driving experience and more fun in either MDX than either Pilot; I swear MDX has got more power and far superior handling/road-holding ability. I recall looking at the numbers once (curb weight, HP/torque, acceleration, etc.) and they were not vastly different, but the MDX is one heck of a vehicle that I would choose to drive if my needs included what it offers. The Pilot, even nicely-appointed, not so much.

I am doing my research now for my next vehicle, and have test driven a new 4Runner, as someone mentioned above. A friend of mine is in Toyota sales and says they still sell like hot cakes. The driving experience in a 4Runner is different than a modern unibody SUV, however for someone like me who grew up driving BOF trucks it is no problem. But I can see how some folks may not like it (wife refused to test drive the 4Runner as she is happy with her MDX until it dies). The suspension was stiff, which I hope would go away after it is broken in, the acceleration was on the leisurely side, and rear quarter visibility wasn't what I had wished, but overall I think it is an excellent potential contender minus the "luxury" factor. I think that one who chooses a 4Runner trades some cargo space and high-end features for off-road ability and versatility (the rear window still goes down!), but the 4Runner seems to do what it is intended to do, and do it very well.

The XC90 is a vehicle perhaps perfect for me-- on paper. Of course, there's more to it than that. I grew up in a Volvo-loving family and had a 240DL at one point in college; that car was nearly immortal and is probably still in service somewhere. Family friends own what was a high-volume Volvo (and other European marques) dealership, where we purchased our cars and had them serviced. Fifteen years or so ago, long after my 240DL was sold, I ran into the gentleman who was the dealer principal of the above-mentioned Volvo facility. I hadn't seen him in a while. We had some small talk about Volvos, when he shocked me by telling me that he no longer sold them and didn't do much service work either. He told me that the Volvo corporate structure was different and they had constant problems, including warranty work and timely parts sourcing. He said his experiences were so bad that they chose to drop the brand entirely. I know this is just one person's input, but that man is a family friend going back decades, and he loved (and still loves) Volvos, so for him to tell me that meant a lot and permanently turned me off from considering another Volvo.

When i pretend i am willing to spend a bundle on an SUV i think of the following:

1. Toyota Land Cruiser

2. GMC Yukon XL Denali

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I'm not going to say too much other than, hey, in that photo, the 4runner looks like it could be optioned out to be fairly comfortable and, almost near-luxurious if you will.

It looks like a sea of cheap plastic and fake wood. (Because it is)

They ride terrible too. Tons of road/wind noise. Leather seats and some gadgets do not make a luxury vehicle.

Ride quality, materials quality, and noise management are at the top of my list when considering a luxury vehicle. Dealership experience weighs in, too.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

It looks like a sea of cheap plastic and fake wood. (Because it is)

They ride terrible too. Tons of road/wind noise. Leather seats and some gadgets do not make a luxury vehicle.

Ride quality, materials quality, and noise management are at the top of my list when considering a luxury vehicle. Dealership experience weighs in, too.
All right, thanks for clarifying your criteria.
I agree with you. But even luxury vehicles have the cheap plastic and questionable wood these days.
I really hate the cheap plastic and when the car becomes a couple of years old, that sea of plastic will turn the car into a cacophony of squeaks and rattles. And its fairly unavoidable. New BMWs have this issue (I can qualify this statement with extensive personal experience) and new Lexus LS460 series cars look and feel a heck of a lot cheaper than the original LS400s.

I agree with you there. BMW has lost the plot, and me as a customer. Audi and Range Rover are out of the question for me as the nearest dealers are over an hour away. Volvo has me now and, IMHO, they have the nicest interiors in the business right now. The new generation is wonderful.

My wife and I have been considering ordering a new V90 - it has everything. A little more road noise than I would like, but that may be down to the Pirellis that come on it standard.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
a) Tesla X : Amazing vehicle but total cost would be $100K. Love it.

I usually stay away from American vehicles as they all are unappealing to me.

Tesla is an American car...
whistle.gif

I'm not certain what you're looking for...snob factor seems to be a part of it.

The big American SUVs are very nice, after all, they invented the segment.

The new Volvo XC90 has won lots of awards, has a gorgeous interior, is well made and has great driving dynamics. It's not cheap, but it's a very nice SUV.

So, if you're looking for ride quality, materials quality, and driving dynamics, I recommend that you test drive it.

I think you'll be very impressed.

Edit: Roofless VW, I see the V90 has made your list. It's an attractive car, and I like it a lot more than the SUV. I've not seen one in showrooms, yet, have you? What did you think?

Last edited:
My wife and I have been considering ordering a new V90 - it has everything.

Wish there was another engine option apart from the strung up 2-liter I4. Its long term reliability makes me nervous.

Yep - thought my Ford had a decent leather interior until a coworker took us to eat in a new Escalde Platinum with Maple Sugar trim ... bling, bling - had some get up and go too ...

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Folks:

In the market for a new luxury SUV and test drove the following

a) Tesla X : Amazing vehicle but total cost would be $100K. Love it.
b) Acura MDX: Nice vehicle but cannot see it to be a luxury SUV, it is no where close to being called a luxury vehicle
c) MB GLE350 : Great vehicle but many features bundled up that I don't ever will use for which there is a premium. Unreliable
c) BMW X5: This is what my spouse likes but it cannot ever make it to the list. There hasn't been an BMW owner that I have met who would buy another one. Extremely over engineered and unreliable and expensive to repair.
d) Lexus RX: Already have a Lexus and low on the list
e) Audi Q5/Q7: Great vehicle and top on the list. Quite reliable and wonderful features, second row seats are small for my liking.

I usually stay away from American vehicles as they all are unappealing to me.

Any thoughts..
[color:#FF0000][/color]

Just wondering who is the car for? This may narrow down what the outcome will be

Don

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yep - thought my Ford had a decent leather interior until a coworker took us to eat in a new Escalde Platinum with Maple Sugar trim ... bling, bling - had some get up and go too ...
GM prides itself on its luxury SUVs leather trimmings; at least they used to a decade ago, looks like they still do. Toyotas leather is the worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back