New Subaru OCI Manual vs. Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: redwolf4k
I just purchased a new 2018 Subaru Impreza, my first new car in a long time. I see that the OCI for the 2.0 Boxer engine is 6,000 miles or 6 months on their synthetic oil (as per service schedule). My dealer informed me that I needed to change the oil at 3,000 miles for the first time, and gave me the whole break-in explanation. Speaking to friends and family who have recently purchased a Subaru I was told that isn't true...and they changed their oil at 6,000 miles on the factory fill.

I get my first year of service free...which is two oil changes (and a few rotations)...is this the dealer trying to hurry me up and make money on me?

Anyone been down this road with a new Subaru and can offer advice? In no way am I trying to be cheap, I want what is best for the car as I keep my cars a long long time (I just retired a 29 year old Toyota pickup).

It is nice to have a year covered in oil changes, so I don't want to be rushed if running the factory fill to 6,000 miles is better for break in than 3,000.

Thank you.

A Severe Service Interval oil change at 3,500 miles is an excellent idea.

Newer engines tend to shear oil more than older ones AND, you want to get rid of any 'new engine' wear particles and machining abrasives from the factory.

I change the Factory Fill (FF) on any new cars at 500 miles.

One of the only times I'll disagree with you, sir. For aggressively-tuned, high-strung engines or performance applications, I 100% agree with you. The motor in the Impreza is pretty tame. The only reason Subaru has such a short interval (lowered from 7,500 miles to 6k in most applications) is likely because they've had some issues with oil consumption.

IMO, 6k miles on synthetic (including the factory-fill) is pretty conservative, and makes a lot of Subarus very good candidates for OCI extension after after the warranty period is up, or sooner, based on UOA results.

I agree with gathermewool.

Yes the dealer is giving you their recommended first oci instead of SoA's. On an n/a Impreza there's probably no need for a 3k OCI. Several years ago, all Subaru factory fills had high moly and ZDDP, but this has been scaled back a bit with the exception of the STI. I'd change it out at 3k in a turbocharged Subaru but don't think it's needed in an n/a Impreza, although it probably doesn't make much of a difference either way.

While on the topic of dealer recommended service, compare the dealer's maintence schedule to SoA's for all maintenance. I have a feeling this dealer may load up on unnecessary maintenance so you might want to request service a la carte, especially after your free services are up.

Here's SoA's recommended maintenance schedule:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2018.html

Last edited:
Thanks for all the opinions and help, and thanks for the well wishes.

I think I will split the difference and drain it at 3,000 miles. From that point on I am comfortable with 6,000. I am a fan of extended drain intervals but until I learn the consumption characteristics of the 2.0L boxer engine I will leave it at 6,000 miles and feel satisfied.

gather, I'd argue that with today's available synthetics, EVERY factory OCI (except maybe European brands which pretty much dictate high quality synthetics by the approvals) is very conservative. US automakers know the majority of vehicle owners in general are cheap bastids who look to get by for the cheapest cost, not the longest equipment lifetime.

If every automaker spec'd some of the more robust european oils I'd think you'd see more of the 15k+ OCI recommendations.

I have a17 Impreza bought it new, I changed the oil at 3000 then followed a 6,000 oci I now have had 24,000 trouble free miles do what you feel is right it’s not like changing it early is going to hurt it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: pbm
Did Subaru fix the oil consumption issues? I like the Impreza and the Forester but I'm not crazy about using a quart of oil every 1K.

My understanding is that those were fixed a few years ago.

Nope. We have a number of Outbacks in our fleet at work, all 2016 and newer, and some of them chew through oil at an alarming rate. Some of them don't. Service interval here is 12,500km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back