New style Honda EU2000 generator

Good Morning - I just picked up a new Honda EU2000 series generator. The model number is EAMT The new version of this generator has a larger diameter dipstick/drain plug and the old style magnetic drain plugs will not fit. The generator also has a built in "chute " to prevent spilling oil during changes. Seems like a good system, but I really want a magnetic drain plug to protect my investment. Can anyone tell me where to find a larger diameter drain plug?

Thanks in advance for any info

IMHO, you are better off without the magnetic drain plug. The magnets have been known come off and end up in the engine. Just do a couple of short time oil changes while it is wearing in and you will be good to go. That is a great generator and will purr along for thousands of hours.

IMHO, you are better off without the magnetic drain plug. The magnets have been known come off and end up in the engine. Just do a couple of short time oil changes while it is wearing in and you will be good to go. That is a great generator and will purr along for thousands of hours.

Yeah Im not going to get rid of my magnetic dipstick/ drain plug.

As long as you attend to the valve lash it will run a long time - ignore that at your own peril.

EU2000 or EU2200?

I have one of the last EU2000's, and it is a wonderful little generator. I've been tempted to get one of the newer 2200 units as the two different units will parallel. But at the moment, I don't seem to have a need.

The generator is an EU2200i. I paid $1200 out the door at a local place that services what they sell. I always wanted a Honda for boondock camping

Yeah Im not going to get rid of my magnetic dipstick/ drain plug.

As long as you attend to the valve lash it will run a long time - ignore that at your own peril.
My unit has 800 hours, in operation for 20 years. Never checked valve lash. Did not ever use magnetic plug JC Whitney dipstick. 2wheeldrive offers an excellent reason not to do this and also suggests a conservative (shorter) oil change interval. These units are incredibly durable and reliable. If after many years of usage, you have some problems, they come apart and go back together easily. They are very easy to start and sip gasoline. One other piece of advice is to keep your fuel fresh and clean. If you don't, you will be pulling apart your carb, or spending $20 on a Chonda replacement. Congrats and good luck with the purchase.

P.S. I think the small changes to unit are good, but it looks to me like everything else was left alone.

My unit has 800 hours, in operation for 20 years. Never checked valve lash. Did not ever use magnetic plug JC Whitney dipstick. 2wheeldrive offers an excellent reason not to do this and also suggests a conservative (shorter) oil change interval. These units are incredibly durable and reliable. If after many years of usage, you have some problems, they come apart and go back together easily. They are very easy to start and sip gasoline. One other piece of advice is to keep your fuel fresh and clean. If you don't, you will be pulling apart your carb, or spending $20 on a Chonda replacement. Congrats and good luck with the purchase.

P.S. I think the small changes to unit are good, but it looks to me like everything else was left alone.

Currently have 2 - about 20 years old. Well.. one 20 yr old 2K and one about 15 the "30 amp" companion

I have extended run tanks I'll use occasionally when dry camping and have done a week straight keeping an entire campsite hot on two of them during the week between Christmas an new year in the desert.

Fantastic units.

I had one burn a valve within the lash adjustment hour spec when running an air conditioner for an extended period of time in a dog grooming van.

I hear all the time no one ever maintains or even looks at lash. I do.

On the magnetic plug - I always see a gooey band after a 24-50 hour run.

Didnt know JC whitney sold dipsticks, It been 40 years since I looked at anything from them.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 11.00.49 AM.jpg

Currently have 2 - about 20 years old. Well.. one 20 yr old 2K and one about 15 the "30 amp" companion

I have extended run tanks I'll use occasionally when dry camping and have done a week straight keeping an entire campsite hot on two of them during the week between Christmas an new year in the desert.

Fantastic units.

I had one burn a valve within the lash adjustment hour spec when running an air conditioner for an extended period of time in a dog grooming van.

Didnt know JC whitney sold dipsticks, It been 40 years since I looked at anything from them.

View attachment 171227
I know who didn't sell you that dipstick: Honda.

I know who didn't sell you that dipstick: Honda.

Honda also didnt sell the extended run tank kit.

Nor my Fram Ultra, and filtermag on my Honda ridgeline, but I'd consider both an upgrade from factory fare.

Good Morning - I just picked up a new Honda EU2000 series generator. The model number is EAMT The new version of this generator has a larger diameter dipstick/drain plug and the old style magnetic drain plugs will not fit. The generator also has a built in "chute " to prevent spilling oil during changes. Seems like a good system, but I really want a magnetic drain plug to protect my investment. Can anyone tell me where to find a larger diameter drain plug?

Thanks in advance for any info

Fantastic units.

View attachment 171227
UD, what have you found works best for the external tank? I’ve had 2 marine tanks that have been leakers, and recently threw them away. I’ve debated on buying a 3-5 gallon aluminum fuel cell with AN connectors, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Suggestions?

UD, what have you found works best for the external tank? I’ve had 2 marine tanks that have been leakers, and recently threw them away. I’ve debated on buying a 3-5 gallon aluminum fuel cell with AN connectors, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Suggestions?
I bough the wise sales caps - and moeller tanks as a kit

As long as you seal the cap it'll pull a fair distance.

Thanks for this info. I will buy this to get the oil change tube. A lot of reviews talk about the magnet falling out so will use the factory dipstick. Thanks to everyone who posted :) This place is an awesome source of info

Thanks for this info. I will buy this to get the oil change tube. A lot of reviews talk about the magnet falling out so will use the factory dipstick. Thanks to everyone who posted :) This place is an awesome source of info
I have not used this exact one, but i have several. I check them by trying to take them out with pliers. If it comes out easily, clean it with carb cleaner and JB weld( use the black jb weld epoxy) it in place.

I make my own automotive magnetic drain plugs, and i use JB weld epoxy to seat them.

I have 2 of the Honda 2Ks and 1 of the Yamaha 2Ks. I much prefer the Yamaha to the Hondas unless you need that couple hundred extra watts the Hondas will provide over the Yamaha.

I have 2 of the Honda 2Ks and 1 of the Yamaha 2Ks. I much prefer the Yamaha to the Hondas unless you need that couple hundred extra watts the Hondas will provide over the Yamaha.
I’ve had both honda and Yamaha units and liked them both - what steers you towards the yammie?

I’ve had both honda and Yamaha units and liked them both - what steers you towards the yammie?
I like the controls better, the fuel shutoff, longer run time, slightly smaller and slightly less weight and the Yamaha seems to respond quicker to to inrush loads (like a skillsaw) from eco mode and then return to eco quicker than the Honda.
That said, all of them have over 800Hrs on them and I haven't had any problems from any of them. The Honda will start a 1HP shallow well pump but the Yamaha won't, but at 800 hours on all of them, the Yamaha doesn't have the various panel rattles that the Honda has developed. The Yamaha is just a better built and designed machine...with a few hundred watts less capacity.

The magnetic dipstick is just an upsell. I have one in my EU2000 and my WEN 2350. Doesn't really catch a **** thing in either of them.

Tangent: Glad I went with the WEN for the 2nd parallel generator. It's a great unit and will likely last 2000 hours all the same.

Back