New shave brush

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I get a badger hair shave brush for Christmas to go with my DE razor.
What is the best way to take care of it. No Instructions came with it. It came from the House of Saxon.

I also got some Merkur safety blades to try.
FYI I have discovered that Sally Beauty Supply carries safety razor blades! I saw Derby, which I bought, and Personna,and Feathers. Scared to try those!

Last edited:
Soak the brush in hot water before lathering it up. When done, rinse, shake and lay it flat to dry. Amazon has cheap prices on blades made in Germany, Poland, Russia, etc. Wilkinson Sword is a brand I use now in my DE razor.

I just rinse the brush and squeeze out as much water as I can. I just leave in in my shave cup and have no issues.

As for blades, the russians have a pretty good reputation for making good quality double edge blades just FYI. I use the Astra Superior Platinum blades from Russia. Under $10 shipped for 100 blades on ebay.

My favorite shaving soap is hand applied, so I can't help you there.

I have been using the Feather brand blades for a few years. I picked up a trial pack off Amazon for a few dollars. After trying the blades in the pack, I went with the Feathers.

I think most of what makes a blade good is subjective and is influenced by your razor, how you shave, your shaving soap, your beard, and you skin.

BSW

Congrats on the new brush. I just rinse my brushes and shake excess water. I started with a badger and have added a Semogue 1800 boar and a Loccitane Plisson synthetic to the collection.

Everybody has an opinion on blades. I recommend tryablade.com and buy a few of various brands to find what you like.

I like feathers,kai,Voskhod, astra. The new Dorco prime DE blades are pretty good and are about 10 dollars for 100 shipped on eBay.

Nothing to fear from a father blade. They are sharp but so is every other blade. Take your time and figure out what you find comfortable. Work with different types of lathers.

Some people like dry lather others like wetter.

Also the brush will most likely stink at first. Let it soak load it up with lather or dish soap and let it sit overnight. It will help remove the foul smell.

I just rinse the soap out, shake out excess water in sink gently and hang it in a stand I got off Ebay for under $10. I did not like Dorco or Derby blades. I have a very tough beard and they only lasted a few days before dulling to the point of pulling. I do like many other blades and want to try the feather as for me so far sharper has been better.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I just rinse the soap out, shake out excess water in sink gently and hang it in a stand I got off Ebay for under $10. I did not like Dorco or Derby blades. I have a very tough beard and they only lasted a few days before dulling to the point of pulling. I do like many other blades and want to try the feather as for me so far sharper has been better.

Ditto on what this guy said. You can get a cheap holder off Ebay. Mine holds the brush, as well as the razor. I also bought a variety pack of blades off Ebay. There is definitely a difference between blades, believe it or not. I keep my blades in an old Altoids tin..

My dad used one his whole life. He just rinsed it out and shook out the excess water and set it on its butt end. It flared out a little but not bad. His father and grandfather were barbers.

Thanks all! I got a stand for it and the razor.
Trying the brush out in the morning, ever since I got the DE the shave has been incredible now branching out in to trying out different blades.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Thanks all! I got a stand for it and the razor.
Trying the brush out in the morning, ever since I got the DE the shave has been incredible now branching out in to trying out different blades.

Atta boy. Enjoy your quest to Manhood...

Soak brush for a few minutes in hot water prior to use for boar and badger. Shake excess water out and then lather. Rinse and shake out water before storing on stand.

You can clean the brush with shampoo every month or so to keep the soap build up to a minimum on the bristles. Deodorize with baking soda solution in water, or borox if you have new badger scent. Some clean with baking soda instead of shampoo for monthly cleaning.

I have kent synthetic that I like quite a bit. Never feel bad about getting aggressive against the soap puck. Also no pre soak like my boar brush, just wet and get lathering. Rinse, shake water out and sometimes dry a bit with towel. Omega synthetics get good reviews as well.

I like Astra blades too. Have not tried too many others, but hope to in the future! Have heard good things about polsilver.

Enjoy your new brush.

Got this for Christmas and I can't wait to use it since I shave every other day
laugh.gif

A Muhle R89 with a closed comb. Got any advices for me so I won't slit my throat?
smile.gif

3583wv6.jpg

358yyo8.jpg

P.S. - Pardon the mess on my desk
laugh.gif

Last edited:
My daily brush is a $2.50 horsehair from BestShave out of Turkey. Been using it for 3 years now, great brush.

I have the option of using far more expensive brushed from my collection of 20 some brushes all the way from cheap bore to $150 badger.

Little is gained by spending money on brushes other than bragging rights. I have the

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Got this for Christmas and I can't wait to use it since I shave every other day
laugh.gif

A Muhle R89 with a closed comb. Got any advices for me so I won't slit my throat?
smile.gif

Yes, don't move the razor one bit sideways while you are shaving with it and be VERY careful around the base of your nose. There's a reason that this type of razor was to go-to shaving tool for so many years. It still is, obviously. It's low tech, effective, and cheap to own - after buying the razor itself.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
My daily brush is a $2.50 horsehair from BestShave out of Turkey. Been using it for 3 years now, great brush.

Where do you buy your soap and brush?? and what do you use.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: jcwit

Where do you buy your soap and brush?? and what do you use.

http://www.bestshave.net/

At present I'm using ARKO shave stick. I cut it up and mash it into my shaving mug.

ARKO is also available in E-Bay from U.S. suppliers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back