DE shavers: what is in your inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
DE shaving is a commonly discussed topic here. I'm curious to know what other DE shavers here use.

Here is what I currently have in stock:
Razors: Feather ASD2, Edwin Jagger DE89, Muhle R41
Blades: Astra,Feather, Voskhod, Gillete Silver blue and Nacet
Brushes:Semogue 1800 Boar,Loccitane plisson synthetic, Edwin Jagger best badger
Soaps: Mitchell's wool fat,l'occitane Cade,valobra hard puck,proraso green
Creams: proraso green, body shop maca root
after shave: proraso green liquid, proraso white balm,pinaud clubman

Life was much simpler when l purchased a big bag of Gillette disposables from Costco and used shave gel from a can.

That is my list. Please post yours.

I just have my vie long de but a bunch of soaps and creams. a few aftershaves and a couple brushes. I want a nice adjustable de soon.

I have an old Gillette adjustable DE razor, some other blades , boar brush and soap not shown. Feather blades are a little too sharp. I prefer the German Van Der Hagen blades I bought at Wal-Mart. I prefer to use my Braun 5 Series.

2r71ox3.jpg

A Gillette from 1961 or so that was my first razor-I've owned it since it was new. A year or so I picked up a box of "misc" at an auction that had several double edge razors in it. I kept the Gillette red tip and a Schick Krona, and sold the rest on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have an old Gillette adjustable DE razor, some other blades , boar brush and soap not shown. Feather blades are a little too sharp. I prefer the German Van Der Hagen blades I bought at Wal-Mart. I prefer to use my Braun 5 Series.

2r71ox3.jpg

feathers are very unforgiving! try wilkinson sword blades. They are fairly sharp but seem to stay sharp very long. I usually get 3 great shaves with them.

Originally Posted By: Ryan
Merkur Fusion adjustable razor, feather blades, Arko shave sticks, and a brush.

are you a bowl, mug , or lather on face guy? I have a nice small porcelain bowl I use then lather more on my face.

Russian Rapira DE razor and I have a variety of Russian blades.
My favorites (by far) are Sputnik and Ladas.

Shave cream is Arko

I also have a vintage, Canadian, Gillette ruby razor @ 1942. But it's nowhere near as good ( in my opinion) as the cheap Rapira.

I shave with a Merkur 1904 closed comb razor, currently using Shark super chrome blades. I have an assortment of Russian Rapira, Sputnik, and Lada blades up next when I'm out of Sharks. I use Arko stick soap and a $12 Omega boar bristle brush.

A fatboy 1959
A slim 1965
A vanderhagen boar brush
Plenty of Arko
A bunch of vanderhagen the pink one
Cremo
I micro plane the Arko and melt the vanderhagen
And mix them
Then put a small dab of cremo on top after working up a lather with the Arko vdh mix
Blades
Gillette silver Blues
Personna lab blues
Derby
Astra sp
A few sharks
A few Wilkenson swords
I have shaved de for almost 3 years
Even with all the junk above it is still cheaper than carts
The two razors were 57 dollars total.
I do have one other sodial Chinese knock off of a Gillette ball end tech but it was 3 bucks
So 60 dollars 3 razors.
My favorite blade is the lab blue and it's about 12 cents and I get 3-4 shaves.
The soaps I mentioned are dirt cheap maybe 2-3 dollars a puck/stick and the Cremo is 6 per tube.
I could make Frankenstein soap with Cremo last A long time
i bet I can shave for 1.00-1.50 per month. And the shave is hands down better than any cartridge razor I have ever tried.
I get ingrown hairs bad with all the super nifty multi blade razors. With these antique razors I don't seem to have nearly the issues.
Say no to clubs, drugs and corporate razor Giants.
Shave on!!!

I prefer to apply the Arko stick ( wetted) directly to my wet face, and lather the soap with my hands.

I have tried a few quality brushes, but still find this method easier and with less clean up after the shave.

Razors: A couple Super Speeds, Slim, GEM G Bar and 1912, and a Parker SS clone. The Parker was my first, and my favorite.
Blades: Shark, Astra, CVS single edge blades
Brushes:A cheap badger and an Omega boar.
Soaps: Arko. Enough to last until 2030.
Creams: none
after shave: Several, but my faves are Lilac Vegetal and Clubman Special Reserve.

Muhle r89 slanted

Muhle badger brush

Blades: Feather
Bic
Merkur
Muhle
Gilette
Astra SP

Soap: Proraso euchalipt
Nivea sensitive

Cream: ShiSeido

After balm:

Proraso
L'oreal men expert 24H hydrating
Seacret with minerals from the Dead Sea

No way am I going to list my collection here, way to many, way over a hundred razors. Five or six fat boys, 10 or 12 slims, and a smattering of others mostly Gillette, however there others.

For my everyday use I use a L6 Lord with Russian blades.

Also have a collection of brushes 15 or 20, not sure.

Again my everyday brush is the Turk brush from BestShave for $1.50. Been using the same $1.50 brush for 4 years now.

Merkur HD 34C
Muhle R89
Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Tech
Schick Krona
Weber PH
Shavecraft 101
Feather Popular
Merkur Classic 1904 OC
ATT Kronos M1

Omega 10049
Omega 10066
Omega 81064
Omega 0146745

Semogue Owners Club
Semogue 2000
Semogue 1800

Simpsons 46B

Muhle 35K 252

Mitchells Wool Fat
Tabac
Van Der Hagen Luxury
Van Der Hagen Deluxe
Williams
Cella
Valobra

Personna IP Red
Astra SP
Gillette SharpEdge Yellows
Gillette Silver Blue
PolSilver SI
Feather Hi-Stainless
Personna Lab Blue
Personna Med Prep
Voskhod Teflon

And this list is incomplete.

I settled on a Merkur long handled razor and the Feather Hi Stainless.

But sadly the Wilkerson disposable double blade blows the retro stuff out of the water.

I still like the experience as that's what I did 50 years ago.

Normally I just shave with my panasonic ES 3831. I don't think you can beat it as an electric (battery)

Last edited:
A 1962 Gillette adjustable, currently with an Israeli-made blade; I have 3-4 more Personnas stashed

Merkur 23C long handle, currently on loan to Miss Linda (no, I'm not going use the blades she's used)

Currently I use Nivea shaving gel, Clubman Pinaud aftershave, and Aqua Velva Musk cologne. However, I have a bowl of Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood and a tube of Palmolive shaving cream coming, along with a badger brush and some new Gillette blades. I'll stick with the Clubman aftershave, but I'm also waiting on a bottle of the Clubman Special Reserve cologne. It's supposed to be fairly strong stuff -- people either love it or hate it.

pdxglocker9mm said, "Even with all [his] junk above it is still cheaper than carts." Exactly -- and a good deal more fun to experiment!

I'm not a collector. I have a Merkur 34C ("Heavy Duty") that I purchased in the mid 1990's. My current blade of choice is the Personna Medical Prep blade. I had tried several others over the years but I like these the best. Instead of shaving soap or cream I use WalMart (Equate) brand oil free face wash. It has a high glycerin content and makes a very good shaving lube. I've been using that for several years. It tends to make the razor easy to keep clean by not gunking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back