Wow...New Synthetic Shave Brushes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I converted to wet shaving some ten years ago. For those unfamiliar with wet shaving it is shaving the way people did prior to the introduction of cartridge razors. I also gave up shaving with canned shave cream in favor of lathering with a soap or cream and a shave brush.

Shave brushes are typically made of boar bristle, badger hair or synthetic materials. Badger hair brushes vary the most in their quality and price. They range in price from $10 to $200+. Inexpensive badger brushes tend to give a scruffy feel on the face and the expensive badgers generally are soft and luxurious. Boar brushes generally range from $10 to $30 and require some break in to perform well. They generally have good backbone and a pleasant feeling on the face. Synthetic brushes up to 5 years ago were junk. Improvements in materials the knots were made of in the last few years have made a huge difference. Currently a good synthetic shave brush costing $9 to $35 give many of the same attributes of a very good quality badger brush.

Within the last year or so a number of manufacturers have made available for sale synthetic knots in solid acrylic handles. In my opinion they are a great bargain and contribute to a positive shave experience. If you are interested in checking out the wet shaving experience I recommend the Badger and Blade site. There seems to be hundreds of shave soaps and creams much better than the canned options.

Here is a link to one of the manufacturers of synthetic shave brushes (there are many others).

http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/brushes-vegan-synthetic+razorock

I used to lather up with a $60 Parker silvertip badger brush in the past. Then I stopped using a brush and just used my hands to spread lather on my face. Then last year I decided to use a brush again. This time I picked up a $15 Omega synthetic brush, and it works just fine. I don't miss my fancy badger brush at all. This synthetic brush also doesn't have the peculiar smell that natural animal hair brushes can develop over time.

As for soap, I either use Proraso sensitive skin or Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel. The latter one I just distribute with my hands.

I have started wet shaving (again) after a 40 year hiatus.

I would be willing to bet that even the Wilkerson Twin Blade disposable and Gillette gel will beat any retro shaving with a double edge blade and brush.....but...I enjoy the retro experience. And I have not yet gone to the brush. But I will.

You may be able to salvage your badger brush. Periodic cleaning with borax solution and vinegar solution may well keep that animal hair smell at minimum. There are a number of videos on youtube related to brush cleaning,if you are interested .

I like my Kent synthetic brush. I use it much more than my Semogue boar bristle brush. Lathers well, and low maintenance. Win win.

There are newer tech synthetic brushes out there than this Kent, but I've been happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Al

I would be willing to bet that even the Wilkerson Twin Blade disposable and Gillette gel will beat any retro shaving with a double edge blade and brush.....but...I enjoy the retro experience. And I have not yet gone to the brush. But I will.

Different (shave) strokes for different folks. I have some Wilkinson bonded single edge cartridges that shave very well and some 70's Wilkinson double edge blades that are as good as any. Gillette gel ... well...

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
You may be able to salvage your badger brush. Periodic cleaning with borax solution and vinegar solution may well keep that animal hair smell at minimum. There are a number of videos on youtube related to brush cleaning,if you are interested .

Oh, I used to do all that. I just don't have time for such "rituals" anymore.

I use my synthetic l'occitane Plisson often. It was about $30 dollars. It is hard to NOT get a good lather with it.

Gillette gel? Try shaving cream from the Body Works, or Kiss My Face, or Tabac or Arko shaving soap...you'll throw that gel in the trash...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Gillette gel? Try shaving cream from the Body Works, or Kiss My Face, or Tabac or Arko shaving soap...you'll throw that gel in the trash...

+1

This is the golden age of wet shaving, soaps, creams, brushes, razors and blade choices are limitless. Plenty of amazing stuff out there from artisan soap makers and larger companies.

Artisan companies like:
Barrister and Mann
Stirling
Catie's Bubbles
Tcheon Fung Sing
Haslinger
RazoRock

Companies like:
Proraso
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Tabac
Provence Sante
Pre de Provence
La Toja
Taylor's of Bond Street

Just a short list. There are hundreds of great soaps from around the world, all can be had for around $10 or less. Life is too short to shave with gel. Friends don't let friends shave with gel. Check out one of the wet shave sites like Badger and Blade or The Shave Den, etc.

I've given up on shaving foam, except that I keep a can of Barbasol as a backup if I run out of my regular stuff. "Regular" at present happens to be a Nivea gel -- but I'm really thinking about going the whole hog, or badger, and getting a brush, mug, and soap or cream.

I shave my head and face, so a good shave is important. There is no question that quality products lead to a smoother, less irritating shave.

However, the cost of much of this stuff is beyond my practical limit. So I use noxema with aloe at $1.99 and Costco razors. And put up with regular nicks.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I've given up on shaving foam, except that I keep a can of Barbasol as a backup if I run out of my regular stuff. "Regular" at present happens to be a Nivea gel -- but I'm really thinking about going the whole hog, or badger, and getting a brush, mug, and soap or cream.

I urge you to consider the newest generation of synthetic brushes. YouTube is a good resource for viewing experienced wet shavers reviews. Many find a $10 synthetic brush outperforms a $150 Simpson badger. Worth a try before you consider dropping some serious coin.

Wet shaving can be pretty inexpensive. Kiss My Face Cream and Arko Shave Stick Soap are quite inexpensive and really decent products. I'd estimate $7-$15 per year. I shave with a Gillette NEW double edge razor from the 1930's that I paid $5 for on Ebay. Personna Barber or Astra double edge blades can be purchased for $12 for 100 blades and last me a year. A decent $10 brush should last a decade or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back