New Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Honda 190cc engine is about the best small mower engine available, at 6 to 6.5 real HP. Even the Kawasaki is a touch less powerful.

I generally suggest going by displacement instead of rated power. A bigger engine is generally more powerful. Low RPM engines typically don't show much difference in power among versions with the same displacement. That's because the volumetric efficiency is fairly good at low RPM, regardless of head style.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
The Briggs and Stratton is splash lubed. Do not know how the Honda is lubed?

Every engine in the budget segment is splash lube, including Briggs, Honda, Kohler, Chonda, and others. Some Tecumseh engines have pressure lube, but they went out of business 10 years ago and are going the way of the dodo.

You need an oil that will not foam. Best to use the high prices Briggs oil. It will not foam.

No need to use Briggs oil. Any SJ through SN detergent motor oil will be fine, and won't foam.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I generally suggest going by displacement instead of rated power. A bigger engine is generally more powerful.

The 195cc flat head Tecumseh is a known power house (3.5HP). So is the Briggs Quantum 190cc flat-head (3.5HP). Not.

Engine design (overhead valves) and efficiency has more to do with power than engine size. The GCV160 Honda has more usable power than a either engine above.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
With 3/4 acres to mow I'd be looking at a riding mower and a pusher above for the trimming and exercise. Ed

It ain't so bad, the self propelled Honda does most of the work. I don't cater to a formal exercise regime, so it don't hurt to get out there and walk it around for an hour.

Z

The Briggs and Stratton is splash lubed. You need an oil that will not foam. Best to use the high prices Briggs oil. It will not foam.

Do not know how the Honda is lubed.

It is splash-lubed as well. The only small vertical shaft engine that I know of that's pressure-lubed is the Tecumseh...and as noted, they're generally gone by now. I have one on a Lawn-Boy. I enjoy using it. The Tecs were definitely light and powerful.

Some Briggs had an oil filter, but pressurization extended, to my knowledge, only to pumping oil through the filter.

I think some of the Kawasakis might be pressure-lubed, but you're not going to find them on residential machines.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
... Briggs has their professional series overhead valve engines in 175cc and 190cc. They are REALLY good engines from what I have seen. The 190cc Briggs Professional is pretty much non-existent out there in the wild, but the 175cc has good power and is on quite a few mowers now...

I've got the 190cc on my Snapper mower. Nice engine. Smooth, quiet and starts easily. My only complaint is too small a fuel tank for it's size IMO.

I got the AWD Toro and I found Pennzoil Platinum High Milage at auto zone. I picked up a quart of that and it seems to run well.

The Briggs and Stratton is splash lubed. You need an oil that will not foam. Best to use the high prices Briggs oil. It will not foam.

Do not know how the Honda is lubed.

Rod

I have had mega briggs engines (vertical and horizontal shafts) over the last 50 years. The only things that failed on them are their carbs. I put in any oil at all. Have used syn oil the past 10-15 years.

I just bought a Poulan Push Mower with a Briggs (140 cc) from a local hardware store for 200 bucks. I am 69 and have 1/2 acre. I like the exercise of mowing.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I generally suggest going by displacement instead of rated power. A bigger engine is generally more powerful.

The 195cc flat head Tecumseh is a known power house (3.5HP). So is the Briggs Quantum 190cc flat-head (3.5HP). Not.

Actually, that 193cc Tecumseh is rated at 5, 6 and 6.5HP. I happen to have the 6.5HP version and it is quite capable. More so than my beloved 150cc Kawasaki overhead valve engine, which is rated at 5HP.

I'll never claim flat head engines are fantastic. Only that they work, and can do so fairly well. Clearly, more modern engines are more efficient and powerful.

But, when one sees 6.5HP flat head and 6.5HP overhead valve engines with the same displacement, maybe the output is not actually all that far off from eachother.

Even so, I recommended that Honda 190cc engine. It's quite a good engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back