New old stock AGM

Replaced my factory battery on my 21 Subaru Outback with an Odyssey group 47 AGM from Auto Zone. After running it for a day I just noticed a “August 2020” manufacturing code.
Close to 3.5 years old. Odyssey website recommends a shelf life of roughly 2 years before reaching 50% charge and needing a top off. Should I return the battery? It was the only one in stock and full of thick dust. I highly doubt it was maintained in the store. Anyways the battery started my Subaru flawlessly when installed. I’ll probably email the manufacturer too.

IMG_4319.jpeg

Charge it with an external charger, preferably with the battery disconnected from the car. Let the battery rest for 24 hr, then check the voltage. If it is 12.9-13.1V at 77F it is OK, but not excellent. It can supply the necessary CCA to start the engine, but it has probably lost some Ah capacity because of irreversible sulfation of the negative active material during the 3.5 year storage time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy about that and I would return the battery. I'm the guy at Costco cherry picking the newest date battery from the back of the rack, it's a good work out too.
Me too. I go to walmart when the auto center is still closed. I pick the newest date. Then I pop the caps off the terminals and test it with my little tester. Then I buy it :)

I do not see how it could help to email the manufacturer. They probably sold it in early 2020 and it's not their fault it sat on the shelf for several years. $318.00 seems awfully high for a battery in the first place. If you are lucky a discount would probably be the best avenue to pursue. Probably shoot for $100.00.

You installed it. Seems like buyers remorse.
I agree...it would be tough to return it when it is functioning fine.

I also agree that you should contact the mfr. If they were to tell you it's too old, then you would have a reason to return it and could show the email to the store mgr.

I wouldn't be happy about that and I would return the battery. I'm the guy at Costco cherry picking the newest date battery from the back of the rack, it's a good work out too.
Just so you know, Interstate just charges, throws a new date sticker on there, and brings them back to the dealer. Not necessarily any newer by date sticker.

I do not see how it could help to email the manufacturer. They probably sold it in early 2020 and it's not their fault it sat on the shelf for several years. $318.00 seems awfully high for a battery in the first place. If you are lucky a discount would probably be the best avenue to pursue. Probably shoot for $100.00.
Odyssey brand batteries are very expensive

I agree...it would be tough to return it when it is functioning fine.

I also agree that you should contact the mfr. If they were to tell you it's too old, then you would have a reason to return it and could show the email to the store mgr.
They’re not going to say that….

Just so you know, Interstate just charges, throws a new date sticker on there, and brings them back to the dealer. Not necessarily any newer by date sticker.
I worked for Gould battery and they made a lot of private branded batteries in the 60s-70s. Had a whole factory in Kansas that took in the rejects. Dumped them, refilled and charged, then new labels. Out they went to the discount buyers.

I worked for Gould battery and they made a lot of private branded batteries in the 60s-70s. Had a whole factory in Kansas that took in the rejects. Dumped them, refilled and charged, then new labels. Out they went to the discount buyers.
I've literally watched them peel and stick a new sticker while rotating stock.

I bought a Odyssey PC925 off eBay. It was deader than a doornail and they guy said it had been sitting for at least two years. Paid $50 and it was within driving distance.

Brought it home and it took three days at least before it even started to take a charge with my little 2/6A charger. But after a week it was fully charged and lasted in my car for a couple years then about 5 years in the mower.

Back