High Oil level Issues!

This should be easy to diagnose, given the conditions the OP states ...

As quickly as the oil is gaining volume, if this were a fuel dilution issue, the oil would REEK of gasoline. Further, the fuel efficiency would have seen a sigificant negative shift. If these two things are present, then it's a fuel leak (pump or injector). If the fuel does not have a very strong gas odor, then move to the next issue.

It could be an internal coolant leak. But again, as much volume and as quickly as the OP states the oil level changes, it would have to be a really, really bad leak, and he'd see coolant volume loss in the degas tank as well as see coolant vapors in the exhaust. IF those are present, deal with the coolant issue.

I suspect this is a mistaken oil volume issue ... as discussed in other posts above. Given this is the most likely possibility, verify with a GM dealer the proper dipstick part number is in use, and then adjust accordingly. Take the level measurement after a good warmup and proper drainback; don't do this after just a few minutes with oil that isn't fully up to temp.
OK, oil does not smell of fuel and fuel milage is great also coolant is not visible anywhere or lacking in coolant tank. I do check the oil soon after the drive home from dealership about 7 miles away. I then let it sit for quite a while after and it marks about 1 quart to high on dipstick. oil is very clean from oil change to oil change and the required amount for the engine is 8 qts. possible that at some time at the dealership the dipstick got switched out or is damaged somehow in its mount. I will check into this soon. thanks

If the level was spot on before the last 3 or 4 times, and it’s the same dipstick, I suspect that the oil is not being allowed to drain completely or the filter is not getting replaced. You said it doesn’t smell of gasoline, your fuel mileage hasn’t dropped, and your coolant level is consistent, there’s really no other reason that I can think of.

If the level was spot on before the last 3 or 4 times, and it’s the same dipstick, I suspect that the oil is not being allowed to drain completely or the filter is not getting replaced. You said it doesn’t smell of gasoline, your fuel mileage hasn’t dropped, and your coolant level is consistent, there’s really no other reason that I can think of.
yes, Ive been researching what has or could have changed recently that it might not be draining out all the oil. wonder if there is some sort of check valve or something similar that might be obstructing the drain back.

Back