New monitor

Was talking with one of our computer programmers at work that I was in the market for a monitor to hook to my chrome book. He has two of these sceptre monitors setup and recommended.. can’t beat the price. Also ordered a type c to hdmi dongle. What’s your monitor preference curved or traditional panel?

The company I retired from switched from Dell to BenQ several years ago. I was pretty impressed with the BenQ monitors, at least the models the company was buying. One of the nicest "frameless" screens I've seen, which I really appreciated, since I used two monitors, plus the screen on the laptop. Having two frameless screens side by side really made it nice, when dragging objects from one screen to the other.

After having a Dell monitor start smoking, I got two new BenQ monitors. I was the first one in my Engineering office to have BenQ monitors, and I got a lot of monitor envy from my co-workers, over how nice the picture was.

Last edited:
The company I retired from switched from Dell to BenQ several years ago. I was pretty impressed with the BenQ monitors, at least the models the company was buying. One of the nicest "frameless" screens I've seen, which I really appreciated, since I used two monitors, plus the screen on the laptop. Having two frameless screens side by side really made it nice, when dragging objects from one screen to the other.

After having a monitor start smoking, I got two new BenQ monitors. I was the first one in my Engineering office to have BenQ monitors, and I got a lot of monitor envy from my co-workers, over how nice the picture was.
My company is switching from DELL to HP.

I would not consider a curved monitor for less than a 28 -32 inch diagonal or if I sit very close to the screen.

The brands don't really matter that much.

There is a handful of Chinese and Korean companies that produce all panels.

The specific model does.

IPS is not that expensive anymore. I would not buy a TN for any purpose. That's just me though.

The specific model does.

IPS is not that expensive anymore. I would not buy a TN for any purpose. That's just me though.
Please explain IPS and TN, for those of us that are monitor illiterate.

I like the dual 2540x1440? that I use at work. But a 4k just fits more... and thus I use that at home. Thing is, I've found I use it at 150% and so it's not really 4k, I don't think? but I'm content with it all the same.

Thing is, my Linux machine doesn't drive it "really well" with 150% scaling and while I can resize a browser window to get a decent font, the rest of the time it's not that great. So I'm a bit divided on it, might just get a second 1920x1080 for it instead of sharing the 4k. The Linux box is for fun, most of the time the 4k is for work--and wow is it nice, huge workspace.

Anyhow. Partial to Dell as that is what we use at work, but I don't have to pay for them. I bought a Samsung 4k before I read that they are junk, but mine has been ok so far? This Acer that I got at the dump works well and it's probably what I'd buy again, the $90 one from Walmart. Coworker had a curved monitor but I thought it a bit weird and when it was up for grabs, nobody in our group wanted it. In my home office, it's in the basement, so a glossy screen likely wouldn't matter, but matte screen seems to suit me.

Distance probably matters. I sit about 24" from my monitors, maybe a bit less. So 24" monitor is fine. But when using duals the size of the bezel matters, less is more, and these days, if it's not a dual monitor setup I get lost trying to figure out how to do something. I also am starting to prefer to have the monitors the same size, otherwise moving the mouse from one to the other is a bit of a pain (collides with the screen edge).

I have a couple of curved 24" Samsungs with an older Dell 16:9 24"ish something. I wouldn't go curved for one monitor but two in a row next to a flat one makes looking from one to the other decent.

I keep my email on the Dell and stack my SCADA display, web browser, teams and whatever spread sheets or programing software I have open on the others. Before I had the two Samsungs I had my email on a 4:3 monitor and that makes outlook unbearable anymore. All the programs now are set up for a 16:9 monitor with the sidebars in them. I would like bigger monitors but 24" is all that fits under the hutch on my desk.

I must not be too picky...
a couple years back my old 19" Samsung monitor died suddenly ( pretty sure the backlight went out) at first i bought a Cheap 24" Element TV ( like $90 ) I could never get it to look right... so i went to Wally world, and for about another $90 bought a 24" onn. nothing fancy, but it works well enough for me!

set up that TV in a spare bedroom... the Tinniest speakers in existence.... it's currently on standby as a backup..

GF uses a 32" Element TV for her monitor.( after her old 27" Sony TV went Kaput )

I have a 27" flat and that is my preferred. I did try a 27" curved but it bugged out my eyes and felt unnatural moving around the curser. Possibly because I wear contact lens the effects were multiplied....
Your experience maybe different as I have been using flat for 3 decades now.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of curved monitors but it's a personal preference. A friend has a Samsung Odessey G7 and he likes it. Maybe I'd consider a curved monitor if I had a massive 50"+ ultrawide or a complete simulator setup but I'm enjoying my 3 27"s (and I just got a tall stand to put my 32" above lol.)

The specific model does.

Brand can matter if you want long lifespan. It's not a matter of who makes the panel in it, rather the boards, especially the electrolytic capacitors on them, and to a lesser extent, how hard they drive the backlighting.

Depends on how many hours a day it's running and ambient temperature, but it's not unheard of for cheap brands to fail in less than two years.

Back