Computer Monitor/Display Prices

I have been looking at 27" monitors online (at Amazon and other sources) and am seeing a lot of this: out of stock

Prices have definitely gone up over the last year. I think I will wait for the market to cool down. My desire for a 27" monitor is not urgent.

While the recent chip shortage makes most consumers think it must be microprocessors – the brains of personal computers – that are causing the most recent supply headaches, it turns out that a tiny, $1 chip is wreaking the most havoc in the PC market.

The chips are called liquid crystal display, or LCD, drivers, and are used in monitors, PCs, laptops, automobiles, smartphones, and nearly all products with a digital LCD panel, giving instructions to the pixels. While the chip shortage has been the talk of the semiconductor industry, little-known integrated circuits, or ICs, are playing a much bigger role in the shortage than their more expensive brethren.

“The No. 1 component in shortage is a component that goes into the panel, the driver IC,” said Linn Huang, an analyst who covers personal computers at IDC.
“Anything with an LCD panel, a TV, a phone or a tablet, but notebooks predominantly, you will need a chip that has an LCD driver, telling the panel what pixel to light up or not,” said Shane Rau, an IDC analyst who covers semiconductors. He said smartphones and TVs are both are experiencing LCD shortages, but the pain of the shortage is being felt by the purchasers of notebook computers, which have become hot items.

1080p 27" used to be around $130 before the pandemic, now it is way more (and has gone up to 1440p and around $200). I don't think it will ever go down until the standard size move up to 32", and by then you probably want a 32" instead of 27".

1080p 27" used to be around $130 before the pandemic, now it is way more (and has gone up to 1440p and around $200). I don't think it will ever go down until the standard size move up to 32", and by then you probably want a 32" instead of 27".
I'm so glad I got the 2 27" ACERs for my work PC and another set for my home PC back before the pandemic. I was super lucky to get a new Alienware tower in February for work when my old ACER Predator went to be with the Lord.

A year and a half ago, the display industry was dealing with a big over supply of product, and falling prices from competition. How times have changed!

March 2020:

Samsung Display will stop producing LCD panels by the end of the year..........

...The decision comes as LCD panel prices are said to be falling worldwide. Last year, Nikkeireported that Chinese competitors are ramping up production of LCD screens, even as demand for TVs weakens globally. Samsung Display isn’t the only manufacturer to have closed down LCD production lines. LG Display announced it would be ending LCD production in South Korea by the end of the 2020 as well....

...Although Samsung Display says that it will be able to continue supplying its existing LCD orders through the end of the year, there are questions about what Samsung Electronics, the largest TV manufacturer in the world, will use in its LCD TVs going forward....

...Samsung tells The Verge that the decision will accelerate the company’s move towards quantum dot displays, while ZDNet reports that its future quantum dot TVs will use OLED rather than LCD panels...

Kind of funny, I purchased two 27" HP (27F) displays at different times 1 in 2020 and 1 in 2019 I was so impressed with them at not only the price but look sharp not only the display itself but the stand/frame ect... and why I bought a second one for my wife because she was always so impressed with it. I must have tried 3 or 4 different brands. Really like these.
So reading this thread I see it looks like they are now and older model and out of production, but wow is right on the prices! Glad I got them when I did, picked them up for a song and a dance on sale around the Holiday times.

I just did a search Best Buy has them on Clearance for $237.99 not a misprint and if you go to Target.com its $269.99.
I paid 117.69 Thanksgiving week 2020.
SUGLGT is certainly right about prices going up.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 8.39.34 AM.png

This is now, one year later Nov 2021 =
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 8.55.00 AM.png

Last edited:
The 27f appears to be discontinued. I bought a mostly comparable 27m (one HDMI input instead of 2, and plain black frame and base instead of silver) on sale for $109 at Walmart last year, it is now $175 on their website and in stock at stores.

1080p is just adequate on a 27 inch screen for general work. Certainly if going to a 32 I'd want more pixels.

Meh, I just run a couple of used ASUS 24" monitors as a dual display setup. I think I have less than $100 in it.

When my son upgraded his Ryzen 5 2600 setup, I "bought" his old MoBo, Processor and Graphics card by buying his plane ticket to Seattle for his sister (my stepdaughter's wedding) this past weekend.

I found a NZXT 510 case and some RAM on Facebook Marketplace. The only new items were a new PS and the 512GB SSD for the boot drive.

Look for used if you cannot find new.

Seems there is always someone out there upgrading and you can pick up the "old" stuff that is better than your "old" stuff.

I sold two other systems for about $300 in total. One was complete with CPU, 22" AOC Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse with all needed power cables. The other just the CPU. Cleaned out my office of older hardware.

Anyone need an ancient SPARC Ultra60? One bank of memory doesn't work, but it has 4 400MHz (I think) processors installed. It hasn't left the basement in 12 years. Probably time for it to go.

Back