New Look Castrol Edge (black bottle)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I don't recall regular Edge having Jaguar/Land Rover approvals before.
*Edit*: I found an older bottle and it did meet it.

NOTE: the price is $27.xx. It's cheaper when on rollback. The price you see on the shelf in these pics is for another oil.

20240218_184320.jpg
20240218_184329.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing they changed is the front and back label. It's the same bottle.

The additive package is the same one used in the Gold Bottle Extended Performance. It's sold in Europe as Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20. It's a solid add pack from Infineum that covers a ton of approvals, including MB 229.71. It's good stuff! (y)

The only thing they changed is the front and back label. It's the same bottle.

The additive package is the same one used in the Gold Bottle Extended Performance. It's sold in Europe as Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20. It's a solid add pack from Infineum that covers a ton of approvals, including MB 229.71. It's good stuff! (y)
Yes, the Gold Edge Oil is a better product than the Black Edge. I ran these two back-to-back a year or-so ago. The Gold held up well in our GDI engine that spews black soot from the cold exhaust and dirties pistons due to poor Korean engine designs.

The Black Edge looked worn out in our used oil bucket after only 3k. Not so with the Gold, which could have been run another 3k.
Because I had no buyers on my $10 per five quart jug Castrol Edge Euro and Castrol Gold Edge five quart jugs sale (9 total), I'll try a 50-50 frankenblend next month of both oils in our GDI engine.

Last edited:
Titanium was discontinued 2-3 years ago in their Dexos lineup.
Yes, the Gold jug is the EP in the ILSAC / API / SP / Dexos flavors. If there's another Gold brew in (for example) the Euro lineup, I'm not up-to-date on Euro or diesel oils, while living here in the USA.

A rumor mill back then was that Titanium was not being the most compatible friend of Castrol's Moly and the need to increase the more available and less expensive Moly additive levels overall - as SP certs approached, was the reason for the change.

Members like Molecule could add, deny or confirm, if he's available to read this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, the Gold Edge Oil is a better product than the Black Edge. I ran these two back-to-back a year or-so ago. The Gold held up well in our GDI engine that spews black soot from the cold exhaust and dirties pistons due to poor Korean engine designs.

The Black Edge looked worn out in our used oil bucket after only 3k. Not so with the Gold, which could have been run another 3k.
Because I had no buyers on my $10 per five quart jug Castrol Edge Euro and Castrol Gold Edge five quart jugs sale (9 total), I'll try a 50-50 frankenblend next month of both oils in our GDI engine.
Like with most engines, the PCV system is an afterthought.

I found a river of oil in our 2017 Santa Fe SE's intake. It's a 3.3L GDI V6, 72K miles on it, currently running HPL NO-VII 5W-30 in it.

I got a new PCV valve, which is located behind the throttle body, at the bottom, and a K-Motor oil catch can.

1708304560077.jpeg

In the picture bellow you can't really se the river of oil, but it's there:

1708304797762.jpeg

Hyundai engines are decent, but badly designed PCV systems is one of those things that kill them. Or maybe it's done on purpose, to artificially limit their life. I don't know that for sure.

All I can say that if your mileage is up there, change the PCV valve, and install an oil catch can. It will save your engine.

37k and no oil use. Oil level rises almost a half-quart in the first 1k of an OCI, then stays there the entire OCI. Strange, especially since I never smell fuel on the dipstick or in the used oil bucket.

It's spewed black smoke for 3-4 seconds on cold starts, since the day I brought it home with 19 miles on it.
The S. Korean engineers get their jobs coming from Japan. It's never the other-way-around. Judging by all the engine and trans failures, the Korean engineers wouldn't last long leaving Korea for Toyota or Honda similar jobs.

I have dreams at night trading these two vehicles in my Signature for a new 2025 redesigned RAV4 and 2024 Corolla Cross.
We're in our mid-70s, so odds of it happening as retirees are getting slimmer.

When I take my last breath someday, I want to be talking about 0w8 oil changes.....lol

Last edited:

I ran regular edge and it was fine looking for 6k. Just a light brown

Titanium was discontinued 2-3 years ago in their Dexos lineup.
Yes, the Gold jug is the EP in the ILSAC / API / SP / Dexos flavors. If there's another Gold brew in (for example) the Euro lineup, I'm not up-to-date on Euro or diesel oils, while living here in the USA.

A rumor mill back then was that Titanium was not being the most compatible friend of Castrol's Moly and the need to increase the more available and less expensive Moly additive levels overall - as SP certs approached, was the reason for the change.

Members like Molecule could add, deny or confirm, if he's available to read this thread.
I used Edge Titanium in my 99 Civic years ago, I remember the gold bottles but wasn't long after they changed it but I haven't really kept up with Castrol, I think they changed the formula, dropped titanium, and went to the black bottles. I'm actually currently running Magnatec in that car.

I used Edge Titanium in my 99 Civic years ago, I remember the gold bottles but wasn't long after they changed it but I haven't really kept up with Castrol, I think they changed the formula, dropped titanium, and went to the black bottles. I'm actually currently running Magnatec in that car.
Doesn't Castrol openly advertise "fluid titanium technology"

Doesn't Castrol openly advertise "fluid titanium technology"
I haven't really kept up with Castrol as stated, I didn't see it listed on the pictures of the bottle posted and I have not been to their website but evidently they still have the gold bottles and is rated for 20k miles. The Walmart near me doesn't seem to really keep Castrol in stock, they typically have GTX HM and the Edge A3/B4 SL.

Last edited:
I haven't really kept up with Castrol as stated, I didn't see it listed on the pictures of the bottle posted and I have not been to their website but evidently they still have the gold bottles and is rated for 20k miles. The Walmart near me doesn't seem to really keep Castrol in stock, they typically have GTX HM and the Edge A3/B4 SL.
They still openly advertise Titanium, says so right on the website

Back