New Generac generators shipped with 30 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Generac and they ship the new ones with straight 30 weight oil. What if a new one starts at 0 degrees? I have a friend that has a 16 KW 30 hp model that it does not look like the oil had ever been changed in it's six years of life.. All those cold weather starts on 30 weight. Seems crazy.

What do you guys think?

99% of my power outages are weather related. Tropical storms and ice storms. Ice storms happen around 32'F and rarely below 25'F.

That said I had a 1977 B&S 7 hp with 30 weight I needed one winter. It started right up (and screamed up to 3600 RPM) but I had to put my foot on the frame when I pulled the somewhat stiff starter cord.
wink.gif

Similarly my snowblowers don't see use below about 20'F. Too cold a weather pattern for snow. Though I run multigrade in them.

Many people have been running straight 30 weight in snowblowers for the last 50 years, doesn't seem to hurt them any.

Air-cooled prime mover? Not so surprising. Engines started and ran in all sorts of weather for decades before multi-grade oils even existed, so a modern engine with a modern single-grade oil that probably has a higher viscosity index than multi-grade oils of the 70s should be just fine. That's not to say a multigrade wouldn't be BETTER in a situation where 0-degree starts are expected... but its not going to seize up with the 30-grade either.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Many people have been running straight 30 weight in snowblowers for the last 50 years, doesn't seem to hurt them any.

Exactly. It's like molasses in the crankcase during extreme cold, but most hold so little, you can still pull them over.

FWIW, that's why I substituted 15w40 for SAE30 some years ago. At least it's a 15w cold.

Joel

No oil warmer om my Generpac that I can find. It's a 16KW also. It does have a neat little oil cooler in the air flow from the engine fan.

I think the point here is that the generators will run fine, for years, on straight 30w.

However since it's BITOG I have to say that there would be less wear using a 10w or 5w30.

Maybe it's time for someone with a lot of money and time (I don't fall into that category) to buy 2 identical generators, keep the FF in one and fill the other with 5w30, then go to where it's below freezing and start them both up, cold, 100 times. Followed by a UOA.

Last edited:
I always use M1 5W-30 in my small generators based upon advise from some guys I used to work with who had advanced degrees in mechanical engineering and the lubrication of rotating parts.

Right after break in with our GP5500 Generac. I poured in T6 5W-40. Ours stays in our garage which never gets below 45deg F. So I have never had a issue with starting. I also pour in 1oz of Redline SI-1 every time I fill it up. I try to start ours up at least once a month and let run for 15 to 20min.

Good thing is! Only really had to use it 2 times in serious situations-->2 Ice Storms back to back. We had to run it for a total of 12 hours the first storm and 18 hours the second storm. It runs our natural gas furnace-ceiling fan with light in living room-ice box-Med sized toaster oven to cook. It preformed flawless. I did change the oil after the last storm.

What's hard is telling neighbors NO! That they can't plug into it during these times. They have 364 days to prepare for this, but never seem to think a generator is that important. Next oil change I think I will pour in M1 0W-40.

i have used 30 weight oil in my snow blowers since we owned them...one was my parents a 1966 4 hp briggs allis charmers and today it runs perfect.

I see no reason to use a straight 30wt dino oil in anything. I use M1 5-30 in my gen and it serves my engine very well. In very cold temps it will pull through much easier.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Engines started and ran in all sorts of weather for decades before multi-grade oils even existed
01.gif

Thats true, however I used lighter oils in my stuff even in the 60s and with the oils we have today there is no reason to revert back to that era.

The Generac manual says use 30 weight down to 40 degress F. Then 10-30 from 40 to 10 degrees above zero. From 10 degrees to -20 and below use Synthetic 5-30.

My question about this is that don't most people use one weight of oil all year. How many people change their oil seasonaly in their generatrors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back